Will there be GW2 ADDONS?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by Terminator, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Will gw2 support addons? Has there been any word on this

2. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

GW didn't support addons and I'm pretty sure arenanet has said before that they won't be supporting addons for GW2 either.

3. Terminator

That's a shame, I really like having addons for cosmetics/UI

4. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

brk-addons-425.jpg

No, no, no, no, no...

Seriously though, I never knew why ppl needed addons. I know it makes "some"things easier, but you're just ruining the game's experience, imo.

1 person likes this.
  5. Terminator

Ha.. in that situation it's a mess but it can make your UI more aesthetic, clean & simple. That's not ruining the gaming experience.

6. guildwar

guildwar Member

I feel very sorry.

7. Terminator

What do you mean ..?

8. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

They have openly stated a few times they are not allowing addons at all, I'd love to cite my info but I'm pretty sure they're actively against them.

9. Orien

Orien Member

Add ons arent necessary but a lot of times the most popular ones are not ones that hand hold (such as DBM, though its popularity cant be denied) but rather the options that allow people to customize their UI in a way that lets them experience the game most comfortably. Such as movable quest log overlay, movable inventory display, windows resizable/movable, action bars resizable/movable, movable mini map, text display changes, etc.

These are the ones I know I miss most when the game doesnt build them in. At this point all of those things should be completely customizable. One thing Rift did really well was make the UI completely mod-able from the layout screen. You can resize absolutely anything, move anything anywhere, etc. This should be standard in all MMO's at this point after over a decades worth of 3rd party mods becoming more and more popular over the years. Buttons built into your inventory that auto sell all gray items is a nicety, but one people have come to take for granted at this point in time and should simply be included in all releases, imo.

Add -ons that alter/dumb down content I can go either way on. They are nice and make managing things like cd's, raid health, threat, etc a bit easier but I can deal with not having them. As they were not there back in the early days and we were clearing content. And you really shouldnt be relying on something like a threat meter as a crutch. People need to know how to play properly. That is one thing that gets lost when people start relying on adds before they've bothered to play the game without them.

I guess I am in favor of the types of vanity/nicety mods that I think should be standard features at this point anyway but could take or leave anything beyond that.

1 person likes this.
  10. link

link New Member

I think this would ruin competitive play

11. gragath

gragath New Member

i for one hope there won't be. addons put players on different starting point when a battle starts. plus if gw2 structured pvp will be an esport, i doubt theyll allow addons there..

1 person likes this.
  12. CryptisMidnight

in GW1 there was Textmod and i liked that, however i dont like the idea of having add-ons like WoW

13. Nawy

Nawy New Member

Maybe they will implement popular addons into the game. IE recount, atlas loot etc

14. Im Healin You

Im Healin You Member

Whoever said GW didn't support addons is mistaken.
    There were numerous addons in GW1 such as armour skins, extra storage slots, skill sets and new missions that name a number of new weapons as rewards.

However none of these directly affected the flow of the game or made it easier in anyway, they purely added to the experience :)

A-net have also commented on having a game shop type thing that sells aesthetic addons, etc.

1 person likes this.
  15. Persian

Persian Well-Known Member

whhhat, I played GW and didn't even know addons existed, wow

16. Sablehawk

Sablehawk Member

I'm actually glad they won't allow addons. Now if we could just find a way to keep sites from storing item info.

I enjoyed games more when people were blindly stumbling around killing stuff to try to find special equipment instead of 30 people camping a specific monster for "X weapon of fart blasting" or whatever.

17. cobblars

cobblars Member

Problem with addons is that people who don't use them can be at a disadvantage over those who do.

So long as the game has UI customization then all will be good imo.

18. hyperstalker

hyperstalker New Member

lol your talking about expansions and like map pack type of addon what they mean is UI addons look up WoW addons and youll see what there talking about anyway back to on subject i always liked addons to help with bags and such just small ones not one that makes your screen clustered like in that one screen shot.

1 person likes this.
  19. Im Healin You

Im Healin You Member

Ohh thats makes sense :) I stand corrected :)

I never really played much WoW mainly because of the fees so i wouldn't know what ui add-ons were.

UI= User interface?

20. Sanktus

Sanktus Member

It may do to cater to people but i don't think it needs it

1 person likes this.