Quantcast

Will The Division be neglected if things don't end up well?

Discussion in 'The Division' started by FuZyOn, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

You want to build hype for the game though, so I don't know if it's too soon. There's pressure from everywhere (media, publisher, and fans) of them showing something, so obviously you'll go balls-to-the-wall and show your best stuff to get everyone pumped.

2. Delirium

Delirium Well-Known Member Regular

Somehow I have this feeling that if The Division doesn't reach their expectation, they're going to push it at least a little bit more instead of just completely abandoning it. And I'm really hoping that's the case. The Division is too good of a game to be abandoned right away unless it bombed really horribly.

3. JC_224

JC_224 Active Member Regular

I don't think the game can really flop after the travesty that is Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed Unity still having their respective franchises revived. If the game at least breaks even then I'm sure we can expect future games in the series to be released. It's definitely not unheard of though for new IPs to be instantly dropped if they're not making enough profit.

4. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Even Evolve, a game that bombed really hard this year, still has support. So we should calm down because The Division is going to be fine. ;)

5. Player7

Player7 Active Member Regular

It's all a matter of how well the game does. Afterall, they are company and the sole purpose of a business is to make money. If for some reason the game isn't successful and it gives only losses then it will be abandoned without hesitation. Although, while skeptical at first, I'm starting to feel that this game will be liked by the gaming community. If it doesn't, well... There are more games to hype for around!

6. BoxofCereal

BoxofCereal Member Regular

I think they'll most likely leave it, as would most companies I feel. It's so difficult to repair a game with a bad rap in this industry that there's little choice for them. If the game does flop, their best bet is to focus on the playerbase that they have and cater to it very heavily. At that point they can give up on grabbing new players who are going to look at reviews on Steam or IGN which are hard to come back from. If they can stoke the flames beneath their fans and get them talking about the game, and get them hooked on it, I think they stand a chance of keeping the game going.

7. Maelalove

Maelalove Well-Known Member Regular

Unfortunately, it's far too common with Ubisoft to dropping games when it's just not working out the way they want it to. I don't really have much faith left with them to believe they wouldn't drop it if it flops.

8. Cyborg Superman

It's kind of hard to blame them though, don't you think? After you invest so much time and effort and gamers don't respond to it for whatever reason, I'm sure they aren't really thrilled with losing or shelving an IP instead of it being successful, it's just harder to want to invest in a sequel when the first one flopped.

9. Maelalove

I guess you're right. It's just a little frustrating to have them give up on the games so easily. I understand not making a full sequel but maybe like a DC or something, fixing some bugs and giving a little story to help attract the players? Players have never really been shy with what they want, so getting their advice couldn't be difficult. I'm not saying they should just keep it going but putting a little more faith in their games would make me feel better about it.

10. Cyborg Superman

Maybe, but then again anyone who was disappointed with Watch_Dogs... Would they buy a DLC? Maybe some would, but judging just by this very board, a lot of people would stay far away from Watch_Dogs because they didn't like the original game. It would be hard to have a publisher invest money in a sequel to a game that people bashed so much. That being said, if Watch_Dogs 2 came out and it was 100x better than the original, you could win back some of those people who vowed never to buy another Ubisoft game again.

11. Maelalove

You're right. Personally I didn't like Watch Dogs either, and I guess I probably wouldn't buy a DLC just because of that. Maybe they need to regulate differently? Beta testing or something? Get the consumer opinion before release and fix some of the things that the majority rejects.