Quantcast

Will Civilization VI have "Pirate Protection"?

Discussion in 'Civilization VI' started by Calinpls, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Calinpls

Calinpls Member Regular

There has been a trend lately, where more and more corporations have been adopting some sort of method of protecting their digital products against mainstream pirating - It's basically an encryption code. Most known of all seems to be the Denuvo anti-tamper tech, which has made it into even the most popular games. And it shows results.
    Do you think that Firaxis will use such a solution? How would it affect you?

2. NormaD

NormaD Active Member Regular

I'm still at that stage where I am learning about the game. I hadn't even considered this. I'm actually not quite sure how it should affect me. I'm looking forward to learning more about the game and the technical stuff so that I can make that decision for myself in the future.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Look at the differences between Dark Souls III and Far Cry: Primal, the first one was cracked in the first day and they managed to sell ten times more copies than the latter game. I personally don't think they will use Denuvo, especially since it's about to be cracked really soon so it would be worthless.

4. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

I think if they did this it would be a good idea provided they lowered the final price. The only reason there is piracy is because some games are very expensive when they are launched.

5. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

Well, I personally think it might have a good protection system, I think they count with all the resources to make of that game something well secured against piracy, however, I think that having it on steam is more than enough for them, that is my opinion though.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  6. Calinpls

Calinpls Member Regular

I don't think there is a direct correlation between these two particular games, esspecially since FCP seemed to be more of a "here, have this while we work on something else" type of game than a triple A title by itself, such as Dark Souls. The difference in the encryption codex was there nevertheless.

What I'm interested in is where did you get the information that Denuvo in particular is about to be cracked really soon. Last time I checked, 3dm put out a statement that was anything but encouraging for the internet pirates out there, saying there will be little to no protected and crackable games in the next couple of years. And seeing that bypassing is the only half-reliable way to crack such games, I don't get how it could be close to getting broken so soon.

7. FuZyOn

3dm have already cracked Just Cause 3 although they haven't released it yet (they cracked it on stream) so Denuvo is crackable. As for direct correlation, Far Cry is still comparable in terms of popularity to Dark Souls so I think it's fair enough to put them together.

8. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

Do other 2k published games use Denuvo, like X-Com 2 and Battleborn? I imagine if those games used it then Civ VI will very likely use it as well, as if I had to guess it's the publisher who makes the final decision in regards to anti-piracy measures.

9. FuZyOn

I don't know if Battleborn has it but I've been playing X-COM 2 and from what I've read it doesn't have Denuvo, it's a heavily modded game anyway. As I've said before, Denuvo can be quite beneficial for some games but not for all.

10. SirJoe

Were there is a will there is a way and there will always be someone out there that will find a way of hacking the game, but like you say they do have the resources to make it a little bit more hack proof.

11. Casiox

I definitely understand that, I personally see that as something unavoidable in most cases, people take advantages of bugs, glitches and that sort of things to exploit them and whatnot, they must improve the security anyway.

12. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

FoW is fucking annoing

13. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member Regular

It definitely will be pirated. Maybe not nearly as fast as previous releases but it's bound to happen.

14. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

Well I really had not idea that certain systems were more liable to get cracked, but I guess that makes sense now that I think about it. I think that with this one I would just have to go with what history has told us, and that is that it will probably be pirated. Like another said, where there is a will there is a way, so as long people are out there cheating and stealing (which will never end) then this will likely happen. I guess we shall see, though, but thanks for sharing.

15. SirJoe

I certainly agree it's not fair that you have to pay such a high price that some guy will copy and sell it off for a fraction of what you paid.

16. Casiox

What about when the files get filtrated in the web and anybody has access to it, how can developers explain that? Do they have snitches in the team?

17. SirJoe

That could be hackers, anything with a internet connection can be hacked and there are people with the know how and the time to do so. They do on the other hand make enough money to keep on top of things.

18. Casiox

Well, you're somewhat right, but still, I personally think that those files leak are produced by the developers, no doubt about it.

19. matchv

matchv Well-Known Member Regular

After some days, the price of the game would fall for sure. I think that is the reason why people prefer buying games after the release date.

20. matchv

matchv Well-Known Member Regular

The hacking is a very rare situation Not all the people are hackers and you know, it is very difficult to hack. It is not at all easy.

: civ6