Wiedźmin 3: Dziki Gon (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Bamul, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Glad to be of help. :)

Here is some great news for those of you who haven't yet got the game (posted this also in the GOG thread):

Witcher franchise is at a discount on GOG.com at the moment; W3 at 30% off, W1 & W2 at 85% off, Witcher Adventure Game at 59% off. You can buy them all together or separately here - 6 days left until end of sale.

Alternatively, you can get a GOG key for W3 at a massive discount on Green Man Gaming, where they are currently selling them at 60% off the original price (in the UK this shows up as £19.99). You can buy that here.

2. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Right, it took me over 191 hours in total in the space of about 3 months to complete this game, but I'm finally done. Discovered all road signs, collected all Gwint cards, crafted masterful versions of all witcher armour & weapons, discovered all question marks (and solved all but one, which has a level 48 archgriffon guarding it), completed all activities that I came across (fist fighting, games of gwint, horse races, side quests, witcher contracts, treasure hunts, dynamic events, etc.)... my aim was to see all the content that could be seen in one playthrough, but I'm still not 100% sure if I got everything considering how late into the game I still stumbled onto new exclamation marks.

I'm quite satisfied with the main ending I got; based on the books, to me it seems like the best possible conclusion to this saga (more on that here [SPOILERS]). Despite of the huge expectations I had for W3, CD Projekt still delivered (even if there were a few hiccups along the way). This is easily one of the best games I have ever played and I'm eagerly anticipating the expansions packs.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

First expansion coming in 13 October, among the new features it will have are "a new romantic relationship" and earlier they said it will be partially set in/near Oxenfurt.

[​IMG]
    Shani confirmed?

4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

The first expansion came out mid last month, but I did not have a chance to play it very often. Finished it over this weekend. In short: it's fantastic and worth every penny. For a more detailed summary, without spoiling too much here's what you can expect from Hearts of Stone: more brilliant storytelling with complex and interesting characters, new side activities, Zaporozhian Cossacks, challenging boss fights (some of which are a bit too hard for my tastes), new human and monster enemy types, new gameplay mechanics, more info about Ofir and its people, new armour and weapons, new Gwint cards, expanded map of Velen with new areas, quests that are diverse both thematically and from a gameplay perspective, a heist and a wedding, an amazing soundtrack, and some of the most funny as well as some of the most sad stuff in W3 so far - all packed in around 20 hours of gameplay for completionists (~13 hours of quests, ~7 hours of exploration and treasure hunting, however you could complete the main stuff in just 10 hours if you want to miss out on the optional content).

Oh, and in case you haven't already seen these, I recommend still staying away from the launch trailer and developer diary videos that were released for this expansion pack. They are quite spoiler-heavy.

Last but not least, I gotta say this again after checking out those videos now... I am really disappointed with how the game sounds in English. It's not that the voice acting is bad or unprofessional, it's just that it doesn't sound like the Witcher at all with those British and American accents. Much of the core game's Eastern European charm and references to Slavic/Polish culture are killed by the English dubbing and the same applies to this expansion. I know they wanted to make it accessible to foreign audiences and all, but you guys are missing out on so much. :(

5. Skaara Dreadlocks

Maybe one should just play it with Polish voice-acting then? It would be pretty cool, as Polish sounds good and the voices would be much more correct. But then again, I'd maybe feel that it'd be miss-placed, considering Polish is a whole foregin language that I don't really associate with medieval times or.... with anything at all, really :p In addition I'd have to pay way more attention to the english subtitles, and I'd probably get pretty confused with all the extremely fast Polish jibbering whilst reading english :p

My colleague has gotten the game and played it a bit, he says it's awesome and that he's really liking it. I'm really getting more and more interested in it, with the character customizations (-my favorite feature in games), weapons, the whole open-world RPG experience etc.... but those mutant-monster-demon-things, man..... :sad:

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Playing with Polish voice acting and English subtitles/UI would definitely add to the atmosphere and make it feel much more authentic (and if it feels foreign, then all the better because it is supposed to be different - with Polish voices and names, it has a more Slavic feeling, whereas the English dub makes it accessible to a Western audience by making people and things sound like they're from British fables). However, some people find it harder to relate to characters when they speak a language they don't understand, though I don't see much problem and almost always prefer to watch films/play games with original audio when given the option. Anyway, unfortunately playing with English subtitles would still not be the same because the names of places, characters and everything else would be translated - so it would sound more unique, but you'd still be getting the strange translated version of the game's lore. I honestly think the Metro games do a slightly better job at keeping the spirit of the original even when you're playing a translated version, most probably because (even though it's science fiction and modern fantasy) it is still set in a real place so they had to limit thematic accessibility so as to not lose too much authenticity. With the Witcher we're talking about a whole different world, so the translators have more room to interpret things in various ways... that and Metro's lore in the games is not quite as expansive as Wiedźmin (though the books, especially the Universe series, really expand upon it greatly - but we see very little of that in Last Light).

7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

First two screenshots from the upcoming "Blood and Wine" expansion pack have just been released:

This one shows you the palace of Beauclair, which is the largest and capital city of Toussaint.
    [​IMG]
    This one shows a vineyard (Toussaint is famous in the Witcher world for its wines).
    [​IMG]

8. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

[YOUTUBE]KoL1NRh8JOI[/YOUTUBE]

9. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

It's awesome seeing a team of developers, like this, approach a glitch in their product in this manner. Such seriousness :p

10. Skaara Dreadlocks

Haha, that video was awesome :D Right after it, this popped up, and I really enjoyed it too:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=HJZekaPAd_M[/YOUTUBE]
    If you're not interested in watching the whole video, at least skip to 10:40 and watch the remaining couple minutes.

Also, my colleague told me here the other day that you could early in the game use an exploit to get a lot of money and food, and so CD Projekt RED patched in a tax collector that took back a lot of money, here you have a video:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=olD3G4T6fhc[/YOUTUBE]
    One of the comments says
    EDIT: Just saw this too
    [​IMG]

#470 Skaara Dreadlocks, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
  11. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

That video with the swords is badass, I recommend watching all of it for the full effect. Really interesting seeing how these swords are made using a combination of modern industrial and older manual techniques.

Also, I think we may have posted earlier in the thread about the tax collector (but it's hard to tell since it's gotten really long). Anyway, he actually came up to me in the game as well after one of the patches - since I had gathered huge amounts of coin after spending over 200 hours in the game, but I never used any of the exploits. I responded mostly truthfully and got off without having to pay anything. :p

12. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Finally, some more new screenshots from the upcoming KiW (Blood & Wine) expansion pack - clicking on each image should open the proper larger version in a new tab:

Anna Henrietta (duchess of Toussaint from the books) and her entourage
    [​IMG]
    A scene from Beauclair
    [​IMG]
    Giant mushrooms
    [​IMG]
    Skolopendromorf (not sure how they translate it to English)
    [​IMG]
    A vista of Toussaint
    [​IMG]

13. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

I cannot wait to get back into the witcher again :D i have not played it since it came out since i was busy but i am looking forward to jumping back in again, and those pics from the expansions look great

14. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Release date for KiW announced to be 31st May 2016: more than 90 news quests, over 30 hours of gameplay, new game mechanics, new gwint deck, Geralt gets some kind of home-like location, etc.

Polish teaser:
    [YOUTUBE]Fwz9vWh_QtQ[/YOUTUBE]

English teaser:
    [YOUTUBE]7sVoDJ_DITs[/YOUTUBE]

New screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Beautiful footage and screens, as always. :)

A side note to everyone: If you'd like to view the images at their uploaded resolution without having to click on each individual one to get it up to size, you can instead go to the advanced text box (or quote the person) and scroll down to the desired post and view them like that.

16. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

This video came out a few days ago, but I was too lazy to update the thread (plus I didn't watch all of it coz it spoils some of the wonder of discovering the stuff in the expansion pack for yourself). Still, I'm including it below for anyone who would like to see it.

Original version:
    [YOUTUBE]_x3HjkUmOkE[/YOUTUBE]

English version:
    [YOUTUBE]ZEJT5XRftOU[/YOUTUBE]

17. TotalAaron

Hmm well i am 15 hours in and i am having a blast so quick question, do i have to beat the game to enjoy the expansions fully?

18. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

It's been a while since I played the previous expansion (which I did after beating the game), however it was fine if I remember correctly. With Serca z kamienia you could play it either way and the only difference would be a few changes in dialogue for the revelant conversations to reflect your progress (or lack thereof) in the main quest. I'd imagine it would be the same with this new one - even more so since it takes place in an entirely different area, so it should hold up on its own well. I guess it could be made slightly more difficult so that players who have completed everything still have a challenge, so there may be a minimum level requirement for it.

Also, check out this thread. I remember you were pretty hyped for this game so it'd be cool to hear what you think about it a few years on from then. :)

19. Commissar_Jimbo

Commissar_Jimbo Well-Known Member

Needs more anal sex.

20. TotalAaron

Alright then thanks, i do not know why but as soon as i did one quest on the Viking island i bounced off the game pretty hard.

Posted in the other thread