Quantcast

Why isn't there a superhero RPG?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by William Quah, Mar 4, 2014.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I think there are some superheroes RPG, they are just really not that good. I'd love if a game with Flash/Arrow comes out.

2. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Do you mean something like an RPG sandbox? Because if it's not that I see plenty of RPG suphero-based to be honest.. just see the Batman series or even the spiderman ones..

3. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Batman's games are brawlers, not really RPGs...

4. Testament

Testament Member

You want a superhero-themed RPG? There's an MMORPG for that! DC Universe Online. You can create your own hero or villain and play alongside your favorite DC characters, like Superman and the Joker. Try it out, guys. It's quite fun.

5. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

Now that you mention it, there aren't any RPG of them.But there is an MMORPG but I want singleplayer. But I like the Arkham Series and Dead Pool. But if someone made an RPG of superheroes I'm going to be so excited to play it.

6. obliviousme

obliviousme Well-Known Member Regular

I'm pretty sure there are superheroes in some RPG games. I think i've seen a random conversation about this in one of the games i play. LOL I honestly don't care about that much though so i really can't tell you which games. Let me google it real quick! :p

7. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

I don't really see which superhero would fit an RPG kind of game. Currently, the companies are right on the money with the action games, as those suit both the comic books and the movies, which are the optimal environment for superheroes.

However, I am still convinced that they would manage to make one, because we already have RPG games with Mario, of all characters.

8. Gamepreneur

Gamepreneur Well-Known Member Regular

I think the issue may be the fact that most games like that are based off of movies, and unfortunately most individuals that make games based off of movies totally miss the mark for gamers, and in turn tend to bomb in game sales and ultimately means they don't end up making sequels or anything for that matter.

9. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member Regular

They tried that with Batman. Aren't the Arkham City games an RPG? Well this post was dated 2 years ago so you guys probably don't know about it but the game is great excellent graphics and storyline if you have time to catch up on this post then you should play it.

10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

I think super hero rpgs would be ok. It all depends on how it is developed and marketed. Would the super hero's already have their powers but will have to level up to increase the strength of their abilities? Would you have to start from scratch and gain all the abilities? Maybe you start off with basic crime like bank robbers, break ins, ect. Then as you fight more sophisticated enemies you gain more abilities?

If it was something like batman I could imagine Alfred in the bat cave telling batman to come back and try a new invention once batman reaches a certain level.

11. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

There's an old DOS game called Superhero League of Hoboken that was a post-apocalyptic adventure/RPG with a bunch of weird superheroes. Powers included seeing inside pizza boxes, cleaning any mess, and the ability to eat any food without distress. To this day it's one of my all-time favorite DOS games.

12. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

One of the big problems is just getting rights to the games and the costs of those rights. If you have a game based on it´s own IP, that game can spend twice as much on development as a game that spent half their money just to be able to use an IP.

Alot of super hero games get made, especially after every movie, but they are generally low quality games because so much is spent on the IP.

13. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

Precisely this. And I personally think there would just be a ridiculous amount of work to create a sort of "make your own hero" sort of RPG.

14. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member Regular

There are, just not amazing. I think the whole genre kind of burned out due to the lack of quality.

15. beccagreen

beccagreen Well-Known Member Regular

I believe there are such games but most of them are not marketed well or the games themselves are doing a poor job when it comes to player retention. I would love to see and play a super hero themed game in the future, now that I think of it, I think there's a Justice League MMO game out there, I'm not sure but somewhere in my mind I think I've heard of it.