Why aren't developers focusing on the Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii U' started by FuZyOn, Sep 20, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it's mostly because they would need to revamp their controls to fit the Wii U, it's pretty hard to do that for a console that has a limited fanbase. Developers probably don't bother with it.

2. Freddymac1

Freddymac1 Member

Limited market and heavily under powered hardware.

There aren't many of the big releases also on Wii U. Fallout is going to be a big, demanding game, and the Wii U fanbase isn't a matching demographic, Wii is more casual.

In a way it's a pity, but I guessed it at the Wii U launch. They read the market wrong. They launched a rival for the 360 and PS3 when those were about to launch their next gen.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, that's kind of the problem. While they wanted to compete with Xbox and Playstation they backed off really easily. I never saw a comercial for the Wii U, the marketing from Nintendo is terrible.

4. ilivetofly

ilivetofly Member
    Regular

Nintendo came out and basically apologised for the dismal launch of the Wii U, the Wii is considerably a better investment since it has a larger range of games and is very cheap at the minute and so consumers are not that bothered to get a Wii U.

In addition third party releases are hard since everything needs to go through Nintendo's strict screening and approval. That is why most releases for Nintendo party are games that they are making themselves. In a lot of cases developers don't want to take the risk that the console won't do very well (since Nintendo seems to aim for a casual and more "kiddy" audience) where as consoles like the Xbox and PlayStation are much more of a safe bet.

This compiled with the atrocious marketing for the Wii U and the fact that a lot of consumers who would be interested in the Wii U already would own a Wii and that Nintendo failed to make any decent distinction between its device and a tablet.

5. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nintendo is becoming an increasingly niche market where they used to diversify like crazy, similar to Playstation and Xbox. I can't begin to count the number of developers who worked on SNES games. Ever since then, though, they've been narrowing the field of games that will work properly with their technology, because Nintendo seems to develop with some very specific guidelines in mind. I think that's why the Nintendo games that strike a chord typically do really well, because they perfectly compliment their system in ways games on other systems don't always manage. The Wii U's just not a generalist system, and if Nintendo wants to make up for the lack of developers they need to put more work into churning out their own games.

Wish they would, too. I really like the Wii U. But I only play it once every three or four months.

6. Freddymac1

Freddymac1 Member

Exactly.

The days of the SNES, Gameboy, N64, they were the golden years of Nintendo because Nintendo were making the fantastic games. The star of approval on a Nintendo game was a guarantee that the game was AWESOME!

These days, even Nintendo themselves can't be trusted for quality, nevermind that they aimed for a niche market that they'd already filled with the Wii.

7. Typhon

Typhon Well-Known Member

Guess you forgot about LJN Toys. I don't think they ever made a decent game, and they all had that gold star.

8. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I doubt they'll bother with it either. It definitely doesn't have near as high of a fan base as the most popular consoles. It just isn't the same.