Quantcast

Which combat system do you like the most?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by SLTE, Jan 30, 2016.

1. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

Turn-based. ATB. Arcade button-mashing. Free roaming. Cell-based. There are as many different combat systems as there are RPGs, and even those that are similar to one another usually wind up being at least a little different. Which combat system in an RPG is your favourite?

I can't pick a specific game, but I tend to love the more free-roaming combat found in games like Star Ocean and the Tales of series. I like turn-based stuff well enough, but there's such satisfaction in diving head-first into a pile of enemies, sword slashing them to ribbons. I also like that such systems allow you to physically avoid attacks, rather than constantly subjecting you to the merciless whims of stats and dice rolling.

2. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member Regular

I was a huge fan of turn-based, but arcade button mashing is just what noobs do. I prefer both real-time and turn based in varying degrees, as they're both about decision making, but allow different amounts of time for those decisions to be made. Great mental exercise :)

3. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member Regular

I like free-roaming, turn based, and to be honest even arcade button mashing :D I mean sometimes you just have to slash things or break things. Its just more fun that way.

StillWinning likes this.
  4. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

Turn-based has always been fun for me. I've grown up playing Dungeons and Dragons and turn-based combat system used there really helped me adapt and grow fond of games like Heroes of Might and Magic. I can't really name the combat system, but the one used in Witcher 1 has been really fun for me, although I'm sure a lot of people will disagree.

5. djskyrim

Oh yeah Witcher one had an amazing system. I can't name it either, but it made the game one of my favorites.

6. IgCho

IgCho Active Member Regular

Witcher 3 has my absolute favorite combat system. It's extremely action oriented, but it rewards strategic planning and can be brutally difficult if your unprepared.

7. djskyrim

Haven't played Witcher 3 yet. Maybe I should try it - I saw the trailers, walkthroughs and reviews,but somehow I never got around to buying the game.

8. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

I've only just started playing, but I have to agree that Witcher 3 has a pretty badass system. It works well because it's both fairly simple and relatively complex - you need good reflexes to survive, which doesn't necessarily require much thinking, but if you employ the wrong types of magic or approach enemies the wrong way you're almost certainly going to get your ass handed to you. Makes the game a lot of fun overall.

9. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove Regular

I much prefer Action over turn based. It just easier for me to understand the turn based. The same with tab targeting.

10. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

I like turn based but I also grew to love whatever fighting system Crisis Core had on PSP, which if I remember correctly was free roam. Turn based is a little more relaxing for me though but as long as it fits the game itself I am willing to adapt.

11. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member Regular

I'm almost always torn between turn-based and action like witcher 3. I definitely enjoy having open world systems. Turn-based combat can be so satisfying when done right. Not too grindy. I'll have to say for me to choose it would be dependent on the game itself. I did enjoy the crisis core system, but definitely preferred FF7 with its turn based combat.

12. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I like action more than turn based. Well, when I was young all of the games I'm playing was turn-based (like Persona, Final Fantasy, Suikoden and etc.). When I played Action fighting game system, it was much fun than the turn based game.

13. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member Regular

I don't know if this qualify as combat system but I like the one in Secret of Mana, which I think it is an hybrid between action and command based. Some games inherited this type of system, just a litlle more "action" was added, such as Castlevania for the GBA and the PS2 /Xbox.

14. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I'm at a crossroads with turn based and free roam. On one hand, I like to take my time and plan my course of action without worrying on making a split second mistake. On the other hand, I like to feel more immersed in the game where every decision I make reflects in the game. I guess it just depends on the type of game I'm playing.