When did you start playing World of Warcraft?

Discussion in 'World of Warcraft' started by thisnthat, Apr 6, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

Did you start playing during classic World of Warcraft or during one of the many xpacs? The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria, Warlords of Draenor, Legion, which was your first?

I started soon after BC launched. As soon as I played for the first time, I had my husband run out and buy me the Burning Crusade CD. I had a great time learning the game, seeing the "world," and making new friends.

When did you start playing World of Warcraft? Do you wish you could go back to that time or do you like the newer versions better?

2. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that I started really really early on, but then only picked it up to a good extent a little later. Truth be told all those memories are kind of merged together now.

3. thisnthat

Regular

Has it been a long time since you played World of Warcraft? If you haven't played in ages, I can see why it might have begun to blur.

Still, it should be fairly easy to figure out which expansion you started in. Who was the "big bad" at the time? What was the max level?

Do you currently play World of Warcraft or have you moved on to other games?

4. ezrealgg

ezrealgg Member
    Regular

To be honest, i have never paid attention to any mmorpg game until i came across World of Warcraft, the first time i ever played it, i was hooked, the game had everything i enjoyed and to this day i still play with a couple of friends.

5. thisnthat

Regular

World of Warcraft was the first video game of any kind that I really got into. Like really into.

I've pretty much done a little bit of everything. I did some hardcore raiding for a couple years. I also did some rated PvP later on. I made some good friends along the way.

When did you start playing World of Warcraft? Do you have a favorite expansion?

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Well-Known Member
    Regular

I first started playing World of Warcraft quite a few years ago now, and in the beginning I first got into the game through friends. At the time I wasn't really into these kind of games at all, and when I as told about World of Warcraft I didn't think that it would be my kind of game. How wrong was i!

After playing it for a number of years though, I did get bored with it and it's only recently that I have picked it up again. There are many games out there these days that can compete with it now, and while World of Warcraft is still one of the original mmorpg games and it still has a huge following, I do think that it's popularity is starting to be on the decline.

7. thisnthat

Regular

I was the same way, @pwarbi . My husband and his cousin were into World of Warcraft and talked me into playing it too. I didn't think I would like it, especially not as much as I did. I couldn't believe how much fun it ended up being (at that time anyway).

I didn't get bored with it, so much. It was more that it changed in ways that made it less fun for me. Then, most of my friends quit playing, so that had an impact as well.

What other games do you feel compete with World of Warcraft? I've always heard that there are lots of games "just like it" but I sure can't find any. I'd like to find something comparable.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it was nearly a decade ago, phew. A couple of friends got me into the game and it sparked my interest since I've always been a person that enjoys MMORPGs. It seemed like a big deal at time since the game was extremely popular (still is to an extent), that captivated me even more.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Well-Known Member
    Regular

I started playing (beginning with the old versions) "World of Warcraf" in 2010.

A college friend commented to me about the game (only very positive comments) and I was curious to play the game. I liked it and since then I continued to play.

I like both: the old versions and those that came later.

10. thisnthat

Regular

It was definitely more fun when the whole WoW world was filled with other players in every zone. Now, they have to cross realm everything. That's one of the changes that I really don't like. It's led to countless problems over the years, and it's not as much fun as being grouped with people from your own server for battlegrounds and stuff. Those old rivalries were fun. Now, you're lucky to ever see the same person again.

I think if they brought back the original WoW, they'd see the popularity soar once again.

11. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

It has been some time but being on here has kind of relit the fire for me, so it has been since the other day now. It still feels a little different though, I must admit, but it is still cool.

12. thisnthat

Regular

Yeah, I get the urge every so often too, and then I have to go play a little bit again. I really do miss it.

Talking about it makes me want to play now. I guess I should go see how much updating I need to do. The good news is that I have fast Internet now, so the updates shouldn't take too long. :)

I have the urge to go kill some horde right about now.

13. clair02

clair02 Active Member
    Regular

I was introduced to this game some years ago by my little brother and his friends. I always used to see them playing it but as a spectator the World of Warcraft game looked boring to me. It wasn't until they convinced me to give it a try one day that I found out just how exciting it was - and I've been hooked ever since.

14. DavidLee

DavidLee Member
    Regular

I played World of Warcraft in high-school at the Computer lab with friends back then 2008 there..It was full of fantasy than a game to me & I'm just surprised of it's discussion here since I've come across better games than W.o.W-game.. What features has it added lately?

15. clair02

clair02 Active Member
    Regular

You haven't played the game in all that time from 2008 until now? Is it because you just didn't like the game? I found it addictive from the first moment I played.

16. clair02

clair02 Active Member
    Regular

You haven't played the game in all that time from 2008 until now? Is it because you just didn't like the game? I found it addictive from the first moment I played.

17. DavidLee

DavidLee Member
    Regular

Wow. Alright.. Another man's meat, is another ma's poison.. I just didn't find it that much interesting.. And the fact that it's given too much credit here, makes me perplexed
    That's all
    Ok which part do you enjoy most in it that makes you stuck in it till 2017? This just gets amusing!:(:D:D

18. thisnthat

Regular

World of Warcraft is a completely different game than what it was in 2008. It's much more centered around the solo player than being a true MMORPG experience these days.

I think the only thing that has stayed the same is the questing formula. That is something I would have liked to see them make changes to, since it gets boring after a while. World of Warcraft still does good end game, but the questing formula is tired.

#18 thisnthat, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  19. DavidLee

DavidLee Member
    Regular

Not only the quest-formula, the story line wasn't my type.. I just played it whenever everyone was either busy or somewhat not feeling like to race on other game. Back then, NFS and GTA were the talk of the days! Remember? Lol. kinda liked it anyway, but didn't love it:(

thisnthat likes this.
  20. tony

tony Well-Known Member
    Regular

Generally speaking I started playing games when I was teenager, can't be specific about the age. I think I also first knew about WoW around that time.