What's the worst MMO you've ever spent money on?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by riordaan, Jul 29, 2015.

1. riordaan

riordaan Member
    Regular

I'm lucky enough to have never regretted spending money on an MMO. But that's only because I never have* (ha!). That said, I enjoy a bit of schadenfreude now and then, so I want to hear your stories. Doesn't necessarily have to be a subscription regret; maybe you paid for an item that was rubbish or you just regretted it the next day.

We can also consider this a bit of "player beware". If I'd had the money at the time, I would've paid for ESO immediately, but I found out pretty swiftly that most people were disappointed by it. And I'm sure everyone has felt the temptation of the microtransaction... Let your fellow gamers learn from your mistakes. :)

*Edit: This is a filthy lie. I just remembered that I paid for extra character slots on DC Universe so I could make an account for characters in a book I was writing... Now I regret that, because I didn't ever play those characters. I essentially paid for a doll maker. Lame.

2. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

Ugh, Smite. Played around 3 games, decided to spend some bucks. I invested only $10, but it was the worst bucks I've ever spent in my life, as I didn't even now use it for any skins or other collectibles in the game.

3. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Age of Conan... which is sad because I was a beta tester and knew how bad things were and how much had not been tested.. but I bought the lie when they said there was a big patch coming on launch day that would fix everything.

When the game went live it was exactly the same as beta, but with more lag. I basically paid $40 to play what I had already played in beta and then the content died exactly at the point where the beta testing ended ( level 20ish).

You know the joke about Southpark and WOW where they had to kill boars to level up... that is what you had to do in AOC.. there were big patches of levels without any content.. you just killed random creatures..

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Smite. I didn't spend too much but all my friends hyped up the game too much for me and I ended up just playing a couple of games before I deleted the game.

5. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

Years ago when Ragnarok wasn't free to play I spent around $5 a week to play it, in that game time equals money and it takes an hour just to go up one level. At times the high cost of playing the game made me want to quit. Thank god they introduced a free server and I've also discovered private servers.

6. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I never buy games on launch anymore is my bad experience with Champions Online. The game was stable but horribly balanced and tediously dull. There was so little to do on launch that I quit playing 2 months in. I made it a commitment to never buy a launch title again after that a getting burned by a few other titles. And I haven't bought a launch title since then, and I've never actually pre-ordered a game so I'd consider that a win as well.

7. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

Guys, I like Smite. :'(

8. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd say Elder Scrolls Online, though.

9. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

For single player games, definitely it is better to wait a few weeks, at least until the game has had that major ´fix bugs´patch. With MMORPGs it sometimes can be a little different if there is group play at endgame and if you are fairly casual. You definitely don´t want to be 3 months behind when dungeons start and you are stuck with the really slow leveling people.

10. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Metin2 I would say. Nontheless the good memories I had on that game playing day and night I spent on that trash too much money (almost 300$) and it definetly didn't worth it at all because there were crazier people than me that spent on that game even some hundred of bucks.

11. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

AoC cause lag and couldn't get into it and to some degree SWTOR. I mean SWTOR has decent storyline and voice acting but past that it's meeeeeeeh. I don't really regret the purchases so much as I didn't feel I got as much for my money as I would have liked.

12. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

Stronghold Kingdoms, Guild Wars 1, Aion, Maple Story, Final Fantasy XIV and Pirate's Tale.

For Aion, I played a total of about 3 hours over two days during the free month I received with the game I preordered when it first came out. Invisible walls everywhere, not-unique monsters, grind-fest, small areas, exploration very limited and a myriad of other same-old/same-old things.

For Final Fantasy XIV, I got it on sale and for one month, I played a bit over 4 hours. It was visually okay, but I just couldn't get into it. It felt hollow and the small UI, odd controls and interactivity put me off.

I got into Maple Story about a year it came out and played that with my cousin for about half a year, then I got sick of it. I went back to it a few times over the next ten years, but ultimately only played it because I had history with it.

GW1 was boring. It had beautiful visuals, but everything else was lame. People often say they only play MMO games if they only pay once and that's that. Well, in my perspective, I cannot find enjoyment in a game if there is only small content updates every now and then. Good idea, bad execution.

SK had a simple premise. Become a lord or lady, then conquer through diplomacy or war. Problem was if you're loaded with cash, you can pay your way to beat everyone else. Spent a lot of hours and some money on that game. I quit a few months ago after three years of it.

Pirate's Tale gave you a ship you can upgrade. Neat idea, but again, grind fest.

13. daosasoriza

daosasoriza Member

I rarely spend money on games, but I did spend on some good ones. So, far, there's no purchase that I regret. I had fun with the things I bought, and that's what matters the most. :D

14. ChilledFlamez

ChilledFlamez Member

Back when I was a wee 5/6th grade lad, I used to play Wizard101 with all my pals. We used to compete to see who was stronger and had a higher level. Though Wizard101 is a well done MMORPG, there are paywalls EVERYWHERE, and you can't access certain places unless you have a subscription or enough premium money. It was highway robbery, and I spent about $30 of my own money, which was thankfully way less than my friends spent. I ended up making about 4 different characters to get some substance out of the game without having to pay more.

15. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member
    Regular

KOTOR, when it was first released. Once you reached end game, you realized, there really was no end game. That was a major let down. Although, the storylines weren't bad. Better than most MMORPGs.

16. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

I'm a cheap piece of shit, so I don't really spend any money on mmo's on the fly. I hate using real life money for in game stuff. And if you mean BUYING a game, then I generally watch other peoples playthroughs or play demos and see if I'll like it or not. I try not to waste money if I can help it.

SereneAngel88 likes this.
  17. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member
    Regular

None yet, as I haven't spent any money. However, the biggest in terms of time for me would IMO be Wonderland Online. So much grinding to get anywhere.

18. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I never really spent any money on an MMO. I only play the free ones. If a new MMO launches and it is subscription based, I`m usually waiting for a few months until it goes F2P. I think the only subscription based MMO that is still working, is WoW, but it is bound to go F2P as well in a few years for sure.

19. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Then I guess I'm a cheap piece of shit as well, since I share the same philosophy. I DESPISE micro-transactions in games and unless that game is made by someone with an excellent track record, I will never buy it brand new/ Day One.I miss the days where you would get extra content in the game via unlockables that had conditions you had to fulfill to activate them. Now you have to pay money for stuff like costume packs and characters...that are already locked on the disc:rolleyes:

20. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, this is me. Though I wouldn't mind buying the game if it was good, definitely steer clear of subscription based ones. Those are just a shameless money grab imo.