Quantcast

What's the perfect length for an RPG?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, May 14, 2014.

1. Lucas

Lucas Active Member Regular

Anyway Skyrim is one of the best RPGs ever. As any other game it got some issues, but this thread is about length of the game, that's why I said "Skyrim was perfect". I meant its length, although I like the whole game a lot and it was perfect for me.

2. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

I like RPG games that will have me keep playing or replaying for a few weeks or months. A multiplayer option would be nice as well.

3. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I reckon that, around 80 hours is really good and any longer than it could get boring or too time consuming and then would put some players off. It is alright when the game is exciting like The Witcher and Dragon Age Origins as these games are interesting to play and also nice as well. I think that, some Role playing games can be nice to play and also interesting to see a fantasy world as well and also nice to see games that are well made by the developers.

4. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

For me, the longer an RPG that I like, is, the better. I love open world games like Skyrim and The Witcher 3, and I also enjoy exploring every nook and cranny in such games. In Skyrim, I have clocked over 300 hours and it still did not get boring at all. Once I`m hooked on a game, I don`t mind its length, just give me more content.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I don't really have a preference when it comes to this aspect of the game. If the gameplay is enjoyable I wouldn't mind playing a game infinitely.

6. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

I personally enjoy RPG games over 40 hours, just so I can enjoy the story more and allow myself to be immersed with the characters more.

7. arghyadeep

arghyadeep Member

The length of gameplay of a RPG may vary from 20 to 40 hours. However, it is just an approximation which may vary with RPG to RPG. Sometimes they can last upto 110 hours or even more.

8. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

24 hours should be enough. But that doesn't include the side quests and treasure hunting or something. 24 hours should be enough for the story to end.

9. Dame6089

Dame6089 Active Member

For me, I would say that the main story shouldn't last longer than 30ish hours for my taste. There is nothing worse than having to take a break from a long RPG and forgetting everything that happened. I am completely fine with RPGs that take hundreds of hours to complete after you finish the initial story.

10. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I tend to go for RPGs that have a length of 40 to 60 hours and it has to have post game content and replay value if I'm to buy it.

11. rabst

rabst Member

The perfect length: 'forever.' I mean that as in 'the perfect length of a life': you can pick it up anytime you like and--with a few clues--be right back on track! That's what I like about Facebook's "Candy Crush Soda Saga': sure, your ultimate goal is 'to get the main-character to the end of the journey'; but there's no rush!

12. Obi

Obi Well-Known Member

It depends entirely on the quality of the game. If I play a good RPG with 100+ hours of story I wouldn't even notice the time passing because the gameplay would be blowing my mind.

The standard RPG time is a lower and I find myself getting bored towards the end anyway.

13. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

Statistically, it would be best if a game that is free-roam or has a rather large world with a workload of sidequests and secrets to be anywhere from 70 to 100 hours. However, for a game of normal size with limited or no free roam, then it should have more than 24 but less than 48 hours. If the normal size game involves limitless free roam, then about 60 hours.

14. theGIJST

theGIJST Well-Known Member Regular

I like longer games, generally, but with good content. For example, Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 are pretty long games. It took me at least 20-30 in-game hours to complete the game, even more I think. But the game had good and fun content. That's 30 hours of original content, not recycled missions and stuff like that. I like when games are like that. Skyrim was good, as well, and it had a lot more recycled stuff, but it was still fun and I have over 400 hours on Skyrim. There are plenty of issues with the game, yes, but I loved it.

15. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

I think a lot of what determines what the "right length" for a game is has to do with other features, like how well the game's story is executed, and also price. Obviously a cheapie game for $5 on Steam is going to have less gameplay time than a $45 RPG on a gaming console like Playstation. If I had to choose an ideal length, though, I'd probably go with around 40 hours, not including replay but only the first playthrough when you're unlocking everything and discovering all it has to offer and getting through it for the first time. Anything over 100 hours (Fire Emblem: Awakening, lookin at you ;D) is just going above and beyond expectations. And anything less than 24 hours isn't worth is for a more pricey game.

16. Darce

Darce Well-Known Member

I think that an RPG should be around 30~50 hours for the "normal" content (finishing story, for example) and then a lot more if you're playing for completion. That way, those who just really want to play the game to know the story/gameplay will have a fair number of hours to go through while not being too long, and the ones who strive for completion will have a hard time finishing it.

17. Gamepreneur

Gamepreneur Well-Known Member Regular

I think it kind of depends on the game and it's type of game-play. For the more action-based RPG's I would prefer shorter rather than longer, but not too short to not get the whole story-line across and give you time to build your character, where-as if you consider the turn-based gaming, I would prefer the longer game-play and I am talking hundreds of hours as the grinding in my opinion is often more fun that way and you can do it an enjoyable and casual manner.

18. elmarianexx

elmarianexx Well-Known Member

I'm cool as long as it has a good amount of stuff to do aside from the main story.