Whats a good MMO for beginners and what is the best mmo?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by Gloomer, May 15, 2015.

1. Gloomer

Gloomer Member

The title says it all. I'm really looking for something simple for my nephew to get into since he wants to try his hand at MMORPG games. But there are so many out there and I only play a select few, none of which are simple. So, advice on which ones are good for starter players?

2. Reddifer21

Reddifer21 Member

I started out with Runescape. There is the option to pay for it, but the free-to-play worlds are great too. There are a vast number of things to do and sometimes it can get a little confusing, but he can play and play and play and always find something else to do. There is also a lot of tutorials and people that can help him if he gets stuck. How old is he?

3. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

Runescape is a good mmo for beginners and the best mmo is easily subjective. World of Warcraft is easy and still popular these days if he's not into Runescape's oldish look.

4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Well-Known Member

I like maplestory, elseworld, and rusty hearts for easy ones. Dragons nest is cool too. Blade and Soul from what I saw looks pretty simplistic.

5. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Well-Known Member

If he needs to understand how MMO games work, you can use games that simulate that feel of them as practice like Phantasy Star Online, White Knight Chronicles, or .Hack.

6. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member
    Regular

How old is your nephew? I really don't know about a simple MMO either. The vast majority of MMORPGs have a lot of things going on, a lot of clutter, and as such they are rather complex. A lot of people's first MMORPG is Runescape, though, but I never felt like Runescape was simple either. I used to play one called Dream Of Mirror Online when I was younger, but I dunno if it's still around...

7. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

In most of them, it depends on what class you play. You can level up a hunter in WOW, and it is about as easy as can be. Set your pet to defensive and you literally can go 1-80 without dying.

If they are really young, you might want to try one of the older games with the fixed camera. Manipulating a camera can be troublesome for young kids.. it is better if they game forces the camera to stick on one place.

8. Michelle

Michelle Well-Known Member

Caveat: I've only ever played WoW and Everquest. I've never played any of the F2P or browser based MMOs, or anything else like that.

I do think WoW can be good for kids, provided they are monitored and supervised. I've even seen guides online about home schooling with WoW, using it to talk about creative writing in the quests, science in the alchemy, etc. You can turn off guild invites, and hide other chat windows so he won't really be exposed to anything people say if you don't want. I've seen a few guilds that are families, also, and they have kids who play.

The game is very easy in the beginning, as it basically holds your hand for the first several levels...arguably, beyond that as well. There are several classes and races to choose from and he can have several at once, played at different times of course. The thing I like about WoW is you can go in any direction with it. You can focus only on skills, quests, exploration, recipes, the storyline...it's up to you.

9. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

World of Warcraft can introduce you in the world of MMOs since it's quite easy to understand and feel the mechanics of, but you might also find it difficult at the very beginning to actually do anything. Things gradually get better though. One advice for you to follow: Don't play on private servers, they ruin the whole fun!!!

10. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Well-Known Member
    Regular

Depends on what he likes to play. superheroes = Champions Online or DCU, fantasy = EQ2 / LOTRO or WoW, Never winter, tera, Scifi = Planetside, Firefall, Post Apocalyptic = Fallen Earth