What other video games do you think can make great MMORPGs?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by vash, May 31, 2016.

1. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

1. The first one comes to my mind is Starcraft. Come on, Starcraft was there with Warcraft as old classic RTS games. How come Warcraft got more attention and become WOW, now there is even a movie about it. While Starcraft got less love...

We have three factions available... four if you add the ancient alien race who created both Zerg and Protoss.

It is easy to pick your side, and battle each other. The universe should be vast with lots of star systems, each with lots of planets. Each planet has a vast world.

2. Battlefield series
    Wasn't there a MMORPG based on WWII?
    Well, I think we can have a better one if they use BF series as base. Just let players from all over the world battle each other. I guess most people will pick their own countries. The Ping will stop people overrun the entire world since it will be harder to overcome enemies as you expand further in the world.

Any idea you guys have?

2. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I do not think you are going to see big development houses doing MMORPGs anymore. While some games like SWTOR are profitable on a monthly basis, it is doubtful any of them since WOW have earned back the cost of initial development. And even if you say they may have earned back their development cost, they certainly didnĀ“t provide a big return on investment. In a best case scenerio, Bioware spent $400M, and then 5 years later got their $400M back.

There are a lot of settings that would be cool. I think the Witcher would be up there. But I still think we are not going to see any major houses doing mmorpgs anymore, just indy crowdfunded ones.

3. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Oh come on, WOW made a fortune for Blizzard. Just think about it, millions of subscribers paying money every month. Didn't they claim 14 million or higher amount of subscribers worldwide a few years ago? Wouldn't they be getting more than $100 million per month?

Just how much money do you think have cost them for the development?

I actually saw a huge surge in MMORPG after WOW was getting popular. Everyone wants to make some money off MMORPGs after they saw the success of WOW. If a hugely successful game like WOW was barely breaking even, why would everyone jump onto the bandwagon?

Now back to the topic,
    I think in general, more RTS games are better suited for becoming MMORPG. For example, Age of Empires. Empire Earth. I actually really liked Empire Earth (1), if you just Google its cut-scene video, you'll see.

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't know if this already exists but I think cd and marvel can make for great games in this genre. They have such rich characters and lore and as long as they don't rush it I think a great game could be made out of any of their characters or previous games.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Assassin's Creed could be one of the best MMORPG's if they stopped wasting time milking the franchise with repetitive gameplay and pointless stories. Just imagine so many assassins running around, factions, missions.

6. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

Probably Fallout since an Elder Scrolls MMO already exists.

7. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I just want .hack to become an mmo :( That game was so damn fun and I miss it, the concept is so rich

8. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree. They have a rich pool of characters and character types to choose from though I guess what I would be bummed about is that it will probably lose the parkour aspect when translated into mmo.

9. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree with the Assassin's Creed post, I second the motion after seeing how Brotherhood became so successful--- their multi-playing aspect can still be expanded with the right storyline. An Assassin's Creed MMORPG is the only platform left on the entertainment industry side of things I think after the movie comes out with Michael Fassbender.

10. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I just remembered an old game I played back in the around 2000. Dino Crisis. Although I have only played the trial of the first one, I have gone through Dino Crisis multiple times. The game was a third person shooter. You play against the dinosaurs who were displaced by a time experiment. In the first game, you play as one of the government agents sent to investigate a well guarded energy lab on a remote island, and when you got there (at a creepy night) you found everyone was already dead with steel fence torn, tons of fired automatic weapon bullets and blood everywhere. Basically some dinosaurs were somehow teleported from the past onto the island during a lab accident. They were mostly raptors and T-Rex.

In the second game, the whole lab disappeared, along with a military base, and a small town nearby. A team of soldiers were sent after them to rescue them. By the time they got there, some years had passed for the a few thousand people who got there first. It was a nightmare even they had a whole military base of soldiers and arsenals. The situation was way worse than in the first game.

Anyway, I thought it can make a great MMORPG to have the story set at the second game where you play as one of the people who got trapped there. There is a whole world of dinosaurs to explore or rather to survive. I'd pick first person though.

11. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Hmm, maybe games like Far Cry, Resident evil and god eater.

12. fishbate

fishbate Well-Known Member
    Regular

I recently tried Empires Apart at Steam, it has great potential but it needs improvement. I've been playing it for a week now. Although the graphics and AI seems lacking, i would give the makers a room to improve their game after all its a new game.

13. jakub1

jakub1 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I hardly think they can change things

14. xyrene

xyrene Well-Known Member
    Regular

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check these games out.

15. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think there are some games which can be a good MMO. DOOM for example can be a good option.

16. Athanas

Athanas Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nowadays, there are a lot of interesting MMORPG games that one can play.

17. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

The recent one I have found is pantheon from another thread here. I haven't played it since it has not yet been launched. I researched on it and I greatly feel it will be a cool video game.