Quantcast

What makes the difference between a good and a bad RPG in your opinion?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by denart10, Dec 11, 2015.

1. denart10

denart10 Member Regular

I think an unique story is the difference but what do you think?

2. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

I always found that a good RPG story really lets you feel like that, like you're playing a role of your choosing in a bigger story.
    Main thing that bugged about Dragon Age II and the main reason I thought it was such a huge letdown compared to Origins is because you were shoe-horned into a human role. Of course you can choose how you play, but from the get-go I felt restrained.
    While in Dragon Age: Origins we had the chance to choose our own characters race and play a small unique prologue to that race.
    Basically, I find that to be the difference between a good and bad RPG.

3. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member Regular

For me it's choice. How much of an impact would your choice make is one of the reason I play RPG, and why I love Obsidian RPG. If a game can make me pause and question my motive, it to me is the definition of role playing.

4. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

If the developer has a story to tell, but forces you to be a part of ´their´ story. The early Bioware games were great, but I think they got too full of themselves later on. They didn´t want to make an engaging game as much as they wanted to write a novel and you to walk through it.

For me, RPGs are about freedom.

5. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

A mix of stuff. The ability to explore a well created world. Fully fleshed characters that I can relate to or understand. A well written overall story. Game mechanics are expendable to me- I can stomach somewhat subpar mechanics and meh graphics if the story and characters are well created.

6. Jboh

Jboh Active Member Regular

These days, game mechanics. I think too many RPGs try to play it safe and don't experiment enough. Undertale is a good example of a recent RPG that decided to take a road less traveled and had a lot of success because of it.

Overall though, all an RPG really needs to be good is a solid story set in a unique world with an interesting cast of characters. As long as the gameplay is functional and interesting enough to prevent the player from burning out, then you're pretty much set.

7. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member Regular

Good story, fun combat and crafting, promotes exploring, all that stuff. A big factor for me is how devs offer sifferent things to do to combat grinding.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

The bond between characters needs to be pretty tight. I also love RPGs where you have to earn money via trading and crafting, it makes it more immersive.

9. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

I love RPGs with good crafting system. The ability to play as a mage who can craft potions and sell them instead of warrior who grabs as much loot as he can can and sell that is exhilarating to me. I also agree with the character thing, although I can look pass that. I like to have my own role in the overall story, you know?

10. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Depends. If we're talking western RPGs there has to be actual role playing. Infinity Engine games and games inspired by them usually do that very well.
    Yeah I don't ask for much but you'd be amazed how many games screw that up.

11. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

It is all about the story, in my opinion as well. RPG games are hard on new players as it is, but if they have a good enough story, I think any gamer would make the effort to learn the gameplay elements to enjoy the game.

12. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

In my opinion it is the game play experience itself and of course the story line matters.

13. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member Regular

Immersion definitely. If the story line just doesn't allow me to be soaked in, then I won't further play it. Period.

14. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

Length, story and exploration. If the game is too short, I won't be happy but I'll still play. If the game is entirely linear and leaves little to no exploration, I will be irritated. If the game's story makes no sense, craps all over canon (if part of a series) and basically insults my intelligence, the game goes into the shopping bag and I take it back for a refund. If I can't get a refund, I either sell to some one that wants it or I throw it in the trash with extreme prejudice.

15. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I think Dragon Age Origins was a good role-playing game and an engaging game and you felt part of an organization and like you are accomplishing something and you can even enjoy romance and also the other characters are appealing and you feel like helping them out and doing the quests that are given to you and you get paid for doing them which was nice to see in the game. A bad role-playing game was Risen the first one as it seemed boring at times and too many bugs in some parts of the game and the groups you have a choice to help are not that good and people can treat you badly at times like if you are with crimelord and steal a bottle then you are viewed as a robber. If you are with the templar people and steal an apple then you are viewed as a thief and have to reload the game so that you can do the right things and this game could of been good but seemed rushed at times and may not appeal to many people and worth a go if on special.

16. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member Regular

i like those i can play on pc. I think a bad game is the one that makes your device to crash.