What makes a good MMORPG?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by Zigabra, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Zigabra

Zigabra New Member

What elements do you believe make up the perfect MMORPG?
    As the genre is been getting a lot of poor quality games over the years that have been pay to win or simply way to easy. People have lost interest now, what is the genre lacking?
    What did it have before that it no longer does?

Here is a short list that I have come up with and is up for discussion.

- rich in lore
    - needs to be social ie: guilds, groups, and community needs to matter, therefore no party finder
    - massive map with no load screens and little to no instanced areas. No zones with abrupt environment changes, it needs to be a seamless transition
    - character customization ie: character creation with sliders, stat placement, skill tree etc.
    - good art design and graphics
    - bosses not yet seen before ie: not the same old dragon, spider, bear nonsense etc. Needs good mechanics.
    - a non-personal story line
    - great lootz
    - exploration
    - dungeons need to become relevant again and be based around earning loot not exp
    - in game calander events
    - localized events around, towns, cities, villages. - user defined economy
    - leveling and exp gain needs to matter. it needs to be engaging and about the road to endgame instead of rushing to endgame
    - crafting, gathering, professions need to matter and have a unique system instead of one button crafting.
    - balanced PvP, open world with penalties. No battle grounds, PvP arenas instead, PvP only gear that actually matters with a ranking system.
    - no character factions with races and classes being locked behind faction walls.
    - some sort of vanity or transmog system

2. francisbaud

francisbaud Member
    Regular

Single shard universe or several continent sized areas (Dual Universe, Camelot Unchained)
    Strategy elements (EVE Online)
    Politics (Shadowbane, EVE Online)
    PvP maps and invasion (Knight Online)
    Great art style and setting (Guild Wars)
    Crafting (Star Wars: Galaxies)
    Dynamic environment tied to players' action (Camelot Unchained)

3. noplewyb

noplewyb Active Member
    Regular

The game itself should have quality and engaging gameplay, a story/lore for those who want it, controls that feel good/right/responsive, graphics that are at least representative of the world or nice to look at… the things that make a game nice.

4. jannick

jannick Member
    Regular

A good storyline like in FFXIV

5. cerh

cerh Member
    Regular

When I'm out of home and playing the game on phone, it feels hard to change and select multiple accessories of players. just an example!

graphics plays the most important role to make MMORPG

6. Athanas

Athanas Well-Known Member
    Regular

Story and easy of use.

7. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

I personally like designs and graphics of a game before I play it. That to me is one way of telling if a game is good. I also look at the type of characters and the simplicity of a game. The popularity of a game is also a determining factor to know if a game is good or not.