What is your opinion of TERA?

Discussion in 'Tera' started by tomorrowdreamking, Jun 8, 2015.

1. tomorrowdreamking

I'll preface by saying that I am currently level 23 on my elf priest, so I do have a limited perspective at this point. I have been enjoying the game. The tutorial island and introduction to the game is boring and dry, but the further you get along and the more abilities you unlock the combat starts to make up for that in terms of being fun compared to the boring quests.
    I've had some interesting conversations in the chat channels, and I've had some fun playing as a team with other people including running the first dungeon recently, which I thought was a lot of fun. It could have been a little bigger and more complicated ideally, but overall the combat is still unique and fun for the time being.
    So I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks of the game, especially opinions on parts of the game I haven't done such as PvP/crafting/etc. According to Polygon it's the 3rd largest revenue generating MMO supposedly making over $100 million in revenue per year. But then when I look at this website for example under "Most Popular games" over the past year it doesn't even make the top 10, and I feel like not too many people here like the game that much, but I could be wrong.
    I am wondering if people here feel like TERA is more of a one-trick pony with the combat, and not much else to offer. I'm also wondering if it's true that TERA is making that much money then why isn't the game overflowing with content, or do I seriously underestimate how much it all costs?

2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Well-Known Member

TERA gets that high of revenue because they have a strong presence around the world and seems to be doing well in a lot of different markets without really dominating in any one place.

Crafting was completely redone some months ago so I have no idea how it works now.

Imo it's the best PvP you'll find anywhere. The bgs are somewhat meh but the idea that you dodge not based on rng or whether you hit a cooldown but how well you position your character imo makes it worlds better than standard tab target PvP.

Downside is people tend to be gearwhores. Once you hit max level expect to take a lot of flack in random dungeons if your gear isn't awesome... while this happens in all games but it feels particularly more pronounced in TERA.

Edit: Oh yeah, the quests, they're terrible, I don't know anyone who plays TERA for the questing, it's generally something people endure to level. Then again I feel that away about all questing ever except perhaps SWTOR.

3. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

I got to a point where to continue the main story quest I had to kill a boss monster, off I go to find said boss monster. I arrive at the spot where my quest indicator says I should be and lo and behold there is a group of about 15-20 other people standing around waiting for this monster to spawn. I am thinking "well if I can just hit the damn thing, I should get credit for killing it right?". Nope the first person out of all those people to hit the monster is the only one to get credit. This wouldnt be such a big deal if you could just go off and do other activities, this story line (as far as I know) was the only way to get on to the next area of the game. I messed around for about half an hour trying to complete the quest as more and more people showed up; I even made a group to try and even the odds but still had trouble completing the quest. Coming face to face with something that utterly ridiculous in the beginning of the game (which should have been used to showcase how great the game was) completely turned me off. I was actually having fun up until that point, but the thought that the entire game could be filled with such foolishness killed it for me.

4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Well-Known Member

They got combat done well, but it's faceroll easy even with the action combat, lmao.

As an archer i can stand there and get hit for like 5 minutes before im in danger of dying.

5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

TERA is such a strange game to me.

Loved levels 10-45

45-60 the grind really set in. Getting grouped for a dungeon was a tedious task. and though the combat is great, you really are stuck with just one build and one class, unless you alt.

60-65 was pretty ok.

65+ (pre-expac) was super grindy. Zone events like Nebula or whatever it was called was fun and Battlegrounds were fun, however it was all about that gear treadmill. In PvP i was SUPER outmatched and did not want to keep dying over and over again to earn a single piece of good gear, then you have to go through the process of enchanting it ++

So yeah, it was kind of fun but really just a lot of work.

6. ChrisM53

ChrisM53 Active Member
    Regular

I will say it is definitely one of the "prettiest" games I have ever seen played on max detail and graphics. Sure you can play it on lower graphics, but man it takes aways SOOOO much of the game. I wished there was a little more in the game along the lines of helping RP out in it though. Not being able to walk at all kind of bothered me. I haven't played the game in some time now so if any of this information is irrelevant and has changed, please inform me haha cause I'd like to know =D. But yea. The classes were all very very fun to play. The new class they developed was RIDICULOUSLY flashy and it basically made you feel like you were an absolute god, unleashing destruction and mayhem with every swing of your weapon. Haven't played a game that gave me that kind of feeling in years, since Kingdom Under Fire probably, haha XD.

7. KyubiChan

KyubiChan Active Member
    Regular

When I first started the game I thought it was a very great game. The questing was a bit boring, but I did not mind it much. I thought it was nice because all the quests basically level you to max level, unlike some games where you have to grind to a certain point to get to the next level. I never found myself grinding, I just continued doing quests. The real grind starts when you are trying to obtain good weapons and gears. When I first started, I would do Fraywind Canyon, which was the only battleground they had at the time to get PVP gears. It was a lot of grinding to do but I finally obtained that gear and was happy. There was other PVP gears to grind for which I had eventually worked on but was happy with what I had. Then I basically worked for the second best PVP gear and got it, but by the time I got to that gear they released better PVP gear. They keep continuing down the path that they introduce new gear constantly and making other gear obsolete.

Another thing about this game that I don't really like is the community. People bad mouth others, talking down to others because they feel like they are the best because they have better gear. People trash talk people who loose in PVP, people trash talk people who win in PVP, there is no way around the trash talk. The only reason why I really had any fun in that game was because of the group of friends I found and ended up joining their guild.

8. Skuttie

Skuttie Well-Known Member
    Regular

I really like Tera for the combat. It's real time action, and there's lots of different style enemies to fight so learning BAMs and such is really fun.

My connection is stable too so there's no lag.

Also the costuming is fun, so it's definitely my favorite MMO.

9. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like Tera for the huge boss monster battles. I think they are really cool and dynamic, and you have to be on the edge of your seat, when fighting. That was a really cool idea the devs brought in.

10. Skuttie

Skuttie Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm liking everything but the end game content, seems a bit too repetitive but that's the trouble with most mmos. Or maybe I'm just bored of my warrior.

11. Whitewolf2578

Whitewolf2578 Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's not a bad game, I have played it once or twice. Not sure if I like this race of little girls though. That probably makes a lot of people go "Wtf" I did at first, but then I guess I started to just like play the game and ignore that factor. The controls are kind of different from what I am used too, but over all it's a good sub MMORPG.

12. Renkinjutsushi

Tera is interesting, but the grinding makes the game boring after a while. I was brought in my the combat system, which in my opinion is very above average for an MMORPG, but then it becomes repetitive because you can only play as one class at a time and it takes ages to level up many classes.
    I enjoyed the diferent environments and the monsters, the quests don't offer much variety tho.

Overall, it's a slightly above average game.

13. wilsonjr

wilsonjr Member

For me Tera could have been really good, but I don't have the energy to grind up anymore. I tried it for a few days, leveled and played around on a few classes but just couldn't get stuck in. I liked the idea of the combat system (which is what brought me in) but in practice I didn't get on with it too well.

Shimus likes this.
  14. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

That is exactly how I feel, Wilson. The game was far too linear - the combat was the best draw, but that was it. It felt limited and overly beautiful for no real substance to the game. Even the levelling felt forced and hand held which I kind of despise. Leave some of it hard. It's not always a rush to endgame that makes an MMO - but I felt they rushed it. It could have been so much more.

That being a said, it's definitely worth a once-through to endgame and trying it out. Try it like other mmos - get to endgame, judge it. Stay or leave.

15. kabezon

kabezon Member

Combat is awesome. So much fun. Unless you're an archer then you just get to click click click. Quests are total trash and some bosses are unnecessary and feel like a chore more than a game (we're supposed to be having fun here remember?) It is similar to Lineage in that sense, you have to endure he grind and tedious quests in order to get good gear and enjoy the PvP. I think I'll leave it aside until a GOOD private server aimed at PvP comes around.

16. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

It has a really good combat system and by far one of the few balanced PvP MMORPG out there with GW2. What I don't really like about Tera is the UI . The character are really tiny and it's almost unreadable even by increasing the font size. Apart from that I would conider Tera to be a kind of grindfest. The quests are just all the same and it's boring after some time.

17. Varian245

Varian245 Active Member
    Regular

This combat system is much easier to use for me in terms of like the keys and mouse controls. It's so much easier to aim and it shows you clearly if you hit your attack or not. The quests are kind of boring and not really interesting but I do them because they give EXP. TERA is kind of like a lot of MMORPG games that where you just constantly grind for EXP in any form or shape.

18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Never got to play it for more than a couple of minutes but my experiences with the game arre good. TERA is a nice change of pace from the usual game, it has some unique things to it which makes the game really special in my books.

19. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

I tried it again the other day. I still can't get over the terrible graphics that people seem to think are so great and the cluttered UI. Combine that with the movement and fight mechanics and the whole thing was a waste of a download.

20. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like the combat system. It's great, and probably one of the best pure action based combat systems in any MMO on the market right now. Outside of that though, TERA is not so great in my opinion. The questing is entirely boring, there's very little interesting story or lore to the world and I hate the art style and character design, it's the worst type of scantily clad, half-naked female characters.