What is your opinion about the DOOM franchise?

Discussion in 'Doom 2016 Discussion' started by FuZyOn, Dec 6, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've been a fan of this franchise for a long time now. I played all the games, some a little more and some a little less but I always enjoyed the unique gameplay. Can't wait to play the newest one!

60 people like this.
  2. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member
    Regular

I really love the Doom Franchise. I have so many memories playing this game and with good reason. The game captured my imagination as a child. It was my first "Horror" game and it scared the living heck out of me. It's way less scarier than today's games, but at the time it was completely violent and gorey. I'm so excited to see what they do with Doom for our time period! :D

3. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

I had a lot of fun with it back in the day, I have to say I'm a fan. I've been meaning to re-play the entire franchise (or at least main games released for PC) for a while now but I just can't find the time to do it. I think I'll definitely do it before the new one comes out.

4. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I started playing the Doom games when I was at my cousins in the mid 90's and enjoyed the second one and would use the I am too young to die setting so, the enemies would be less but would still need to be careful. I think the enemies could just pop out of anywhere and also the graphics were nice and also enjoyed how it was made and the map was real good, and you could use different weapons to fight the bad guys in the game. I enjoyed how you could explore the game and also enjoyed doing it and did not feel rushed which was a good experience and made me play for a few hours to a night in the holidays

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

I plan on replaying at least one of them if I have the time before DOOM 4 comes out. I'll probably play some DOOM 3.

6. d'arakh

Regular

Yeah, I'm worried about how Doom 1 and 2 hold up to the modern standard of gaming. As much as I like to claim that graphics don't affect me as much, we're all sorta spoiled nowadays as far gaming overall goes.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

People who say graphics don't matter are clearly lying, haha. I may play old games for old time's sake but I don't say they're the best games ever created.

8. d'arakh

Regular

Yeah, I love playing old games for old time's sake like Mario or Doom or Age of Empires II and I have fun playing those, but I never claim I enjoy graphics. There was this channel on YouTube that's does retro gaming and I watched only one of their videos where they go on and on about how games look pretty and how they're superior to modern games in every way.

9. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm a fan of these games. Started with Doom64 but I actually liked Doom3 the best. Like you, I'm anxiously awaiting this new game.

10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Did you play Age of Empires II HD? It's supposed to be an updated AoE II with better graphics but I haven't tried it out.

11. d'arakh

Regular

When did that came out? I don't think I've tried it, is it just a graphics update though? I have never played an HD remaster game so I'm not sure how that exactly works.

12. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

It came out a while ago. I think they even made a new expansion for it.

13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

It came out a couple of years ago but it's mostly just a remake so that the game is able to run on newer devices. The graphics are slightly better but not that different.

14. d'arakh

Regular

But, the game plays the same? The campaign's the same? No additional content or whatever they tend to tack on to these HD remasters.

15. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

As far as I know its the same. Like @FuZyOn said, they focused mainly on fixing bugs and making the game run on newer platforms.

16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, the game plays the same but I love the fact that there are actual Age of Empires II tournaments out there. The remake was relatively successful in this aspect.

17. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

Its really a shame that they let the AoE 3 to rot. All of this content for AoE2 and none for that.

18. d'arakh

Regular

Age of Empires III was still a good game. I mean, they devoted a lot of attention to Age of Empires II, but AoEIII was still a good game, you can't say that it totally sucked.

19. KingEeyore

KingEeyore Member

Doom is what really started it all for me. I was about 10 years old when I started playing and here I am 20 years later on the Doom forum. I've loved the franchise since day one and I've always had a soft spot for it for some reason. Ha. But, it truly has a feel of it's own even this many years later. I'm really looking forward to the new game and I hope it carries that same feeling as the old ones. Even over the holidays I had my dad playing on Xbox. It was just like we did a few decades ago on his old PC we had.

Conclusion: The franchise is awesome.