Quantcast

What is your favorite tough to play as/risky to play as civ?

Discussion in 'Civilization V' started by DrGeneKaufmanEsq, Jul 1, 2016.

1. DrGeneKaufmanEsq

DrGeneKaufmanEsq Member Regular

There are many civs whose bonuses are either very hard to get right, or a just plain circumstantial. Which are your favorites to try a tough it out?

One of mine is Spain, which while their success isn't entirely based on their UA, when you take advantage of it the results are beautiful. Cerro de Potossi near start, I'm telling you.

Another one are the Ottomans. Their bonus isn't all that great, but it can be good if you set up a good coastal empire. Along with that their janissary is a pretty good unit. To really get the full effect of this civilization you really need to have things set up right, which I feel, provides a unique challenge.

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I think Venice is the hardest civilization to play as. You're a city-state and it's pretty hard to expand your borders and although you have the Merchant of Venice it's pretty difficult.
    Domination victory is the hardest with Venice as well.

3. jasonr299x

jasonr299x Active Member Regular

I'd definitely agree with FuZyOn. Venice is quite possibly the hardest civilization to play with, purely because it's a city state. You won't have the same privilege as other civilizations do in terms or raw size and power opportunities. I can't comment on domination victories since I usually play with scientific victories as the final goal, but I'm sure it can't be easy to wipe everyone else out as puny little Venice.

If you're trying to not play as Venice, you could play as a civilization that benefits from certain factors being in play on the map, but turning those factors off in the settings. For example, try playing as Germany but turning off barbarian spawns. This makes it a little bit harder since you have a relatively strong civilization, but without one of the key components that makes it strong. Everyone else will have an edge over you simply because you have a unique perk, while you don't.

Honestly though, I don't know why you'd want to put that kind of pressure on yourself! It's already hard enough as it is for me. I guess some players are just much better than others!

4. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

For some reason India always seems to pose some issues for me, so if I need a challenge I might give them a try. That is pretty rare though, but maybe I am due here.