What is the best think about the LOTR MMORPG ?

Discussion in 'Lord of the Rings' started by Frank I, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Frank I

Frank I Member

What do you like the most about the LOTR MMORPG? Personally, I love that it is based on such an amazing series of books and movie, and that it has fascinating species and characters.

What about you? What's your favorite thing about this MMORPG?

2. BattleAxe

BattleAxe Well-Known Member

I've always been a MASSIVE LOTR fan and I love everything about the game like the lore behind it, the characters, locations and how it is set in the best fantasy world ever in my opinion (Middle Earth! :) )

3. Tyrion

Tyrion Member

Well it's Lord of The Rings. It's one of the most popular and well respected series around. Many people praise the books and movies so playing in a world dedicated to the world of LOTR, well that's just special. I like it because you can play in that world, and believe you're a part of it. Would be even better if virtual reality was introduced into the equation. I can dream.

BattleAxe likes this.
  4. BattleAxe

BattleAxe Well-Known Member

I think within the next 10-15 years your dream and mine could very well be a reality. Virtual reality is in development, and the LOTR world would be AMAZING for it. I'd imagine they'd cost thousands when they first hit the market though.

5. SwordHungry

SwordHungry Well-Known Member

They do have virtual reality machines right now, but is it where they are placed in a hamster ball and given goggles. Probably not most people's idea of virtual reality, but I think the space that it would consume within the household would be a problem for gamers.

6. Merlin87

Merlin87 Active Member

LOTRO has the some of the best graphics on an MMO I've seen. As well as detailed and involved crafting, this is what makes it one of the best. OK, it can be slow but whats the rush??

7. nimrodel

nimrodel Member

It's the chance to pit your idea of Tolkiens imaginary world against the games reality. It's a chance to fulfil the ring quest your way because all of us who have read the books have ideas on how to get through differently. Great graphics helps too

8. Eva

Eva Active Member

I just love how expansive it is, and how much it deviates from just being about the movie adaptions. I can spend hours on Lord of the Rings Online, but there will always be more to do. It is also great to be in a community of people who enjoy Lord of the Rings as much as I do.

9. Rivere

Rivere Member

I had always played LOTR on the Xbox or Playstation consoles so I thought to give it a go and its very similar just with keyboard and mouse pretty easy as well for newbies.

10. Minos

Minos Member

For me it is getting to live out of fantasy of being a part of Tolkien's universe. The movies and books are great but there is obviously the allure of controlling your destiny as you traverse Middle Earth and grow in strength and importance as a character. The community is pretty great too at times.

11. xDistinctx

xDistinctx Member

I think the community and the environment are amazing. Being in a community with people that enjoy the game as much as me and being able to control my own character is what I love about the game and other MMOs as well.

12. Kryo

Kryo Member

100% the Lore and the world. You could tell that the Devs really loved the work that Tolkien did and kept it true to the book over the films. Players unfamiliar with the books will notice small details from the films. However if you dig deeper you will spot things from the book that others may miss.

There was one story when Eregion was released that really put a twist on the books.

13. Sharinflan

Sharinflan Member

I think it varies with the person, but for me it is all of the things all of the other games don't have, like fishing, playing music, and all of that stuff.
    Also, the cities are made in a way that makes you feel like other people are actually townfolks.

14. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Well-Known Member

One of the things that sets LOTRO apart from other games is the community. I find that I am not constantly being inundated with juvenile mindless chatter that obscures the useful messages. I find that people generally ask before trying to open an invite window on my screen which is a far nicer way of doing things.

15. queenbee

queenbee Well-Known Member

The fact that it is based off a much-loved franchise means there a lot of people on there who are big fans and deeply love the game/series, which, in my experience, translates to a kinder and more interested community. The "main" storyline is also really interesting as it puts a twist on the story we all know and love.

I also really enjoy the mount system! I know it's not at all unique to LOTRO, but it does feel different to the mounts in other games. (If a game has a mount system, that's always a big plus for me.)

16. valiantx

valiantx Member

The main reason why I like LOTR Online, is because I get to play a joe normal character and rise up to fight against the Dark Lord Sauron's hordes and minions! Tis fun to see orcs and trolls, flee before my rusty blade!

17. Aelfwin1996

Aelfwin1996 Member
    Regular

Quite sure it has been said before, but I share the same feelings. I love this representation of the locations described in the book. The immersion is splendid. The amount of lore inside the game is also very interesting. Then, game mechanics are ok. I am waiting for the day all the zones will be available and they will upgrade and install new mechanics.

18. arghyadeep

arghyadeep Member

The best thing about The Lord of the Rings MMORPG is that it has a very good story line. It is based on one of the most appreciated novel all over the world. The graphics of this game is awesome and the gameplay experience is also good of not excellent due to its playing interface.

19. llfsa

llfsa Active Member

Definitely how polished the world looks and how everything fits together in its Lore. Granted the core mechanics might not be the best, but if you're an avid LOTR fan you will not be disappointed.

20. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member
    Regular

As a massive LoTR fan I think the best thing that I found about the MMO was its correlation with the lore of Lord of the Rings. I enjoyed fighting against the orcs and Sauron's armies (although there was also a feature that allowed you to play as an orc!) and I enjoyed doing a lot of the quests because I understood its contribution to the plot.