Quantcast

What got you into RPG games?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by SereneAngel88, Aug 14, 2015.

1. DanaFoxScully

DanaFoxScully Well-Known Member Regular

I'd always watch my cousin play them, and he'd usually let me have a go too. Then when I got my own games, we'd play them together.

2. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member Regular

For me it was my playstation and playing Final Fantasy 9 for the first time. It wasn't even my game but I enjoyed it so much I went I asked for it for my next birthday present. I played that game to death. Then it was Chronotrigger. I went back and played the older final fantasy games on gameboy. then went on to play the other rpg's on the other consoles.

3. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member Regular

I got a Pokémon game in the nineties, and since I'm quite the collector, i loved it. And since i was not very good wit English, it was the perfect game to start, since it's easy to understand.

4. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member Regular

My friend convinced me that FFX was amazing right around when the ps2 came out. I ended up buying it a short while later and it was one of my favorite, favorite favorite favorite things ever. Still love the game :)

5. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

YES. Those were my first two games and I still have the original copies somewhere in my house. I had to buy the PC version for Deus Ex since the one I started with was for the PS2 and I haven't regretted it since.

6. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member Regular

Morrowind was certainly great. I can understand why that hooked you. I still believe its one of the best ES games.

7. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

Honestly, the reason I got into RPG's is kind of dumb. As a kid growing up, I had a lot of extra free time, so I wanted to play the types of games that would take up the most amount of times...so, RPGs. I ended up enjoying the genre quite a bit, so I still play them today, though not as much as I used to.

8. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member Regular

Lol! Funnily enough, I only experienced "real" free-time after a few years of working because I had finally become comfortable working at the same place and what not. In college, I used to play a lot of games, but you don't really know how much you cherish free time until you get really really busy and get a terrible boss to work for :p

9. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah no kidding, but the good news is that terrible bosses make bad work environments while making fast millionaires. Bad bosses drive people to never work for anyone ever again.

I remember one manager in particular that was super condescending towards video games, she's nowhere in particular in life now :) Gotta let em slide.

10. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member Regular

I think I used to hide and play pokemon yellow on my gbc then. We obviously weren't allowed but we used to hide them and try to get the best pokemon by trading. Back then we needed to have the gbcs near each other to trade. Fun times.

11. vash

vash Well-Known Member Regular

For me, it all started when my best buddy moved in as my housemate. He was spending hours each day playing Neverwinter Nights singleplay campaign. At the time I was a First Person Shooting game addict (I was playing Counter-Strike, Teamfortress, Battlefield 1942, etc.), but it did not stop me from looking at what he was playing from time to time, and I realized the game was fun... a new type of game for me at the time. So I purchased the game and started playing too. The level of addicting a RPG game brought me had far exceeded FPS could have done.

While my buddy was playing mostly single play campaign, I started right onto the multiplayer online by joining some persistent world dedicated servers. I ended up skipping meals and studying for the game. :( Yep, I lacked some self-control.

Neverwinter Nights (1) opened the door for me to get into the RPG and MMORPG world. Later I tried various MMORPGs.

12. Benoit W

Benoit W Well-Known Member Regular

I usuаlly соmplаin аbоut hоw mоst RPGs (еspесiаlly Jаpаnеsе оnеs) rеly оn сliсhеs аnd rеpеtitiоn. аlthоugh thаt’s rеаlly аnnоying, thе fасt thаt yоu usuаlly аssumе thе rоlе оf а tееnаgе bоy whо hаs tо sаvе thе wоrld frоm аn еvil fоrсе dеfinitеly hаs its аdvаntаgеs. Fоr stаrtеrs, it mаkеs yоu fееl impоrtаnt аnd thаt whаt yоu dо in thе gаmе hаs mеаning. аlsо, by thе еnd оf thе gаmе, yоu gеt а fееling оf rеwаrd аnd grаtifiсаtiоn.
    Sоmе pеоplе likе grinding аnd thаt’s оK. Unlеss I find thе соmbаt systеm rеmаrkаbly еntеrtаining (suсh аs Finаl Fаntаsy XIII,) I think this pаrtiсulаr аspесt is bоring аnd rеpеtitivе. But whеn thаt hаppеns, I grаb my iPоd аnd stаrt саtсhing up оn аll thоsе pоdсаsts I dоwnlоаdеd mоnths аgо аnd nеvеr hаd thе сhаnсе tо listеn tо. Suddеnly, а bоring RPG givеs thе fееling thаt I’m mаking prоgrеss in twо diffеrеnt things аt thе sаmе timе аnd thаt’s аmаzing.

13. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member Regular

Well the first time I played an MMORPG game was back in 2006, the graphics and gameplay had me convinced it was a good game so I gave it a shot. I ended up playing hours a day just to level up and gather rare items. After a few months playing, I made a good amount of money out of selling rare items in the game which made me play the game a lot more.

14. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeod Active Member Regular

Well it's mostly the stories and character creations. I like creating my characters a lot. And of course it was fun at first, all the traveling, quests, customization, open worlds, but I got bored of these later, because it gets a lot repetitive after some time.

15. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member Regular

I got into Pokemon at a very young age and got Firered around the age of ten. I loved the story, the adventures and the action.

16. arachnophobik

arachnophobik Member Regular

Definitely Skyrim for me. It was the first PC RPG that I've ever played and it's what got me into the genre. Which is a good way to start because Skyrim is so immersive that you'll literally enjoy the whole experience. I've played RPGs before in consoles but none of them were as immersive as Skyrim.

17. Sonicmess

Sonicmess Member Regular

The first RPG that I played was Legend of Leagaia, I think that was around 1999. At first, I found it boring because you need to spend more time playing it unlike Tekken and Marvel vs. Capcom. As time went by I enjoyed the story which makes me like the RPG games. From there I played all RPG games that year like Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy VII and VIII etc.

18. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Well-Known Member Regular

Basically, the interaction that the game provides among / between the members. This is an important factor for any game to become more interesting (at least in my point of view).

19. TheArticulate

TheArticulate Member Regular

My very first RPG game was Dungeon Siege, which I picked up for $5 at Office Max when I was in middle school. I picked it out because it looked interesting, and I had no idea I was in for one of the best gaming experiences I'd had to date! Up until then I'd played more casual games like Rollercoaster Tycoon and such, so I the RPG, dungeon crawling experience was completely new to me.

I wish I could go back and experience my first time playing that game again just to remember what it felt like. From there things only got better as I discovered more games like The Elder Scrolls Series, Dragon Age, and the likes!

20. Athanas

Athanas Well-Known Member Regular

I got intrested into playing the RPG games because of my friends in school. I saw many of them playing the RPG games and I was so much interested in thm. It them drove me into playing them, and that it how I got into them. A day can hardly pass before I play atleast one of them.