Quantcast

What gender protagonist do you usually choose in Pokemon?

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by niightwind, Jul 30, 2015.

1. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

When I play games, I almost always choose to be a girl on my first play through. If I do a replay later on after completing the game, I choose the opposite gender if that is a choice. With Pokemon though, you can't exactly start the game over and over again. I mean, you could to experience the storyline, but most of us get attached to our Pokemon and after completing the main game we go onto competitive play or creating the best teams, so what we choose at the beginning is what we are stuck with.

In Pokemon X/Y, I loved the addition of the customization in outfits, hair styles, etc for the protagonists. I collected every outfit available, and I had a lot of fun with it. Some of the designs they included were really great, too. It was an awesome feature to put in.

What gender do you choose for your protagonist? And is the gender that you go with the same as your real life gender?

2. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

Well I'm a dude so I choose a dude, does it really change much being a girl besides slightly different sprites and outfits to choose from? Ive always choosen a guy I guess so no reason to change it.

3. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

I'm a dude, and I always choose the male protagonist. I don't really tend to choose female protagonists, except for MMO games, in which my alts tend to be female, so I can switch the feeling a bit. Weird, I know.

4. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

Nah it doesn't really change anything aside for the sprite like you said, and maybe some lines of dialogue throughout the game. It doesn't affect your play in general though, but I know some people prefer to play games as their own gender for the protagonist. I do prefer to do that sometimes, but in general I don't really mind. Though, because my assigned gender & appearance is female...it just feels more comfortable to play the same thing. Dunno why. Just an immersion into the game sort of thing, probably.

Nah that's not weird, I do the same thing except opposite (female for main character and male for side characters). Just adds a little bit of extra variety that way. :)

5. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I choose girl since most of the games I have have nothing but male characters and it gets boring sometimes. Pokemon X was my favorite since it let me unleash my inner fashionista since I believe in kicking ass while looking good at the same time:D

6. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I always choose male when it comes to playing games. I don't know why but it makes me comfortable when I'm using male protagonist.

7. ConureKeeper1990

ConureKeeper1990 Active Member

I have always chosen female, because I am a woman. I like to relate more to my character. I agree that Pokemon X was awesome in letting us customize our character even further. It actually brought out my inner girl xD (I am normally not super girly).

I can't say that choosing male hasn't crossed my mind, mainly in online games, mostly because it might keep me from being flirted with.

8. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member Regular

In my first game I play as a boy then after I finish the whole game I play as a girl. I just like mixing it up, giving my pokemons weird names and going to places to I wouldn't have gone to before.

9. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Well-Known Member Regular

Always a girl for me, since I am one. ;)

10. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

I generally get both versions and do 1 as a guy and the other as a girl. It's interesting to see from different perspectives. It's a pain playing twice but hey I get all the Pokemon to boot! I'm not as rigid with sticking to my real life gender cause games often have differences depending on what gender is chosen, ect.

11. toptrunks9

toptrunks9 New Member

Yeah i agree theres nothing wrong with choosing a girl but i generally stick to the male characters since i am a male. Anyway most of the names i choose for the characters are all guy names. Lol it'd be wierd if my name was for ex christopher and i choose a girl.

12. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member Regular

Always a dude. I pretend like it's me in the game. I can't see myself as a woman.

13. TheRedCap

TheRedCap Active Member Regular

I think the only time I chose to play as a girl was when Ruby and Sapphire came out. It probably had to do with the fact that May was in the Pokemon anime at the same time but I just really liked the female protagonist design better. For all others, I usually pick male and choose their respective names for each series.

14. ikarosalpha

ikarosalpha Active Member Regular

3rd gen was the first game that I played with notable sprite differences between male and female. I chose female back then, in accordance with May from the anime, because she's my favorite female antagonist. :) I've always gone for the female antagonist from that day on.

15. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

Depends on which costume I like more. So, I'll choose female in D/P/Pt, male in HG/SS, etc. The only exception is R/S/E & OR/AS. The male is always in the Ruby version, and the female is always in the Sapphire version. Pokespe homage.

16. Humble

Humble Member Regular

I almost always choose the girl because I just always prefer the design of the girl character. I think there was only one time where I chose the boy, and I can't remember what the reason was. Thats just how I am with games in general though. I always go for the female characters and with the new customization options in the last game, I was even happier.

17. DanaFoxScully

DanaFoxScully Well-Known Member Regular

I usually choose the girl, but on games that I've played multiple times, I sometimes like to switch it up a bit. I've played Pokemon Emerald as both!

18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I choose to play as male, even though the female character has better customization options. :p

19. SolaNova

SolaNova Well-Known Member Regular

I play as a dude, always have done probably because I'm a guy. I did a Gen 3 play though using the female character once before though

20. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

I'm fifty-fifty. Usually I change between game plays - I just started a new game of Black and White, for example, and since the last run I did I was a guy, this time I'm a girl. My head cannon doesn't allow me to think that it's always a guy who wins the Pokemon League. I tend to stop paying attention to which gender I chose pretty quickly, though, because your team is ultimately the more important factor.