What does everyone think of this interpretation of LOTR?

Discussion in 'Lord of the Rings' started by blackstone, Aug 6, 2013.

1. blackstone

blackstone Well-Known Member

What does everyone think of this interpretation of LOTR
    Tolkien’s elves were tall, slender, physically attractive, intelligent, physically strong, with enhanced visual acuity and hearing, and an extremely long life span. They also had the ability to use magic to interact with the world around them. At least some of them had the ability to have instant communications across great distances. In short, they make much more sense as genetically enhanced human beings, rather than magical creatures. For everything except the magic stuff, Tolkiens’s elves have virtually all of the attributes you would expect a parent to select if given the choices of advanced genetic engineering. For the magical attributes, remember what Arthur C. Clarke said: “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” Thus Lady Galadriel’s ability to communicate with Elrond over great distances can be seen as embedding some means of remote communication inside the body. You can see similar advanced technology in the perfectly accurate arrows fired by the elves–they are guided arrows, perhaps guided by a remote link between the arrow and the brain of the elf firing it.

2. pinkring

pinkring Well-Known Member

From a purely objective point of view, I found the article to be largely harmless. At least in the context of a simple intellectual excercise. However, as a fan of fantasy literature in general, and of Prof. Tolkien in particular, I have to confess that my hackles rose at that blasphemous interpretation. Tolkien's works are rooted in fantasy storytelling, and have relatively little mention even of, much less science.

And just as a casual fyi, "advanced farming techniques using genetically modified crops" are hardly necessary to get a cake with a day's worth of calories. For millenia, many cultures throughout the world have produced their own versions of energy food

3. Sharinflan

Sharinflan Member

Well, all of it makes sense, and if you think in a cyberpunk perspective, most of it is possible, at least in a near future (except, maybe, the magic powers).

4. Aelfwin1996

Aelfwin1996 Member
    Regular

I only dislike the big amount of mobs that are put into some areas just for the sake of making more quests and deeds although it sometimes breaks the lore of the books... Other than that, I love the visual representation of the regions. An MMORPG also disrupts the way NPCs interact with you which therefore does not necessarily respect the characteristics of the races as much. I must say, I classify all of this as minor complaints.

5. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd prefer if they stuck to the traditional story line. That being said this game was pretty fun. I've moved on to other games since playing this one. I like his interpretation of the elves though. Elrond rules!

6. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'd also prefer a more Tolkein aligned design scheme would be better. However, I understand the appeal of basing character models on what the consumer prefers. Not necessarily in line with the lore.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

My thoughts exactly. A more laid back, traditional story seems just about right, but the game was awesome indeed.

8. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

It is to much of a deviation from the actual story in my opinion. The science aspect ruins it. Sure, there is the whole developed science being indistinguishable from magic thing, but that isn't the point. They are meant to be separate concepts in a fantasy like this and bringing to much science into the workings of a realm of magic ruins the story.

9. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member
    Regular

You should absolutely try Undertale. It's pretty cheap and will run on basically any computer from 10 years ago. The soundtrack is amazing, the characters are wonderful and there are many different endings that make your experience personal. It's sort of like Earthbound in terms of graphics, but it's worth it purely for the story and characters. The combat system is also really innovative and fun. I'd say you should go in as blind as possible to get the most out of the game.

10. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that either way you go you are bound to run into criticism about sticking to the story line and the original characters and all of that. I think I would like to see everything fall in line, but I did enjoy the game and thought that it was fun, and at the end of the day that is all that you can really ask for.