What do you feel is the best MMORPG right now?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by blastguardgear, May 13, 2015.

1. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Well-Known Member

I'm looking to try a new mmorpg, But I'd like to know which ones are good by player experience. I'm looking for one that can keep me hooked for at least a year or two. Any sugguestions out there?

2. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

I would say to give Marvel Heroes a go. The game has gone through so many changes it is now a brand new spanking game. Definitely worth giving a go.

3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Well-Known Member

You could try out Dead Island:Epidemic. It's a free to play game on steam.It's somewhat mmorpg like. The developers call it ZOMBA or something,it has zombies in it.Four players vs Zeds. The player base is not that big because it's in beta. Give it a try.

4. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Active Member

I'm a huge fan of Tera and Fallen Earth, but those are two very different games. What kind of game are you looking for? Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic, Sci-fi, Alternate Reality, Isometric (Diablo-like), etc.? There are so many options for free MMOs these days that you actually have to be a bit more specific with what you're looking for.

5. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member
    Regular

Digitalsatori is right, there's a fair amount of MMORPGs nowadays and I feel there's more variety right now than ever before. Used to be that all MMOs felt like the same game with different skins (specially thanks to all the crappy Korean MMORPGs) but nowadays, there's a fair amount of variety. It's hard to choose...

6. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say there's a best, I would say there's a least worst because they're all the same, you can't even tell.

7. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member
    Regular

I can't really say there's one particular best out there. There are too many sub-genres to accurately make a top pick between them. We can list our favorites but, the rest is mostly up to opinion.

8. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I think it is a common problem though because you can't pick a certain best in MMORPG, since they're all based around the same concept, but the mechanism might differ or the names in the game might differ, which makes MMORPG a bit boring in my experience.

9. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

They have the same concept, sure, but not all of the follow the same mechanics however.Perfect World and Jade Dinasty 2, although they're made by the same developer, have very, very different strategies to them, even if it might not seem this way at the first glance. If what bothers people is the fact that all of them are repetitive and dull for the most of the part, and this repetition is being propagated through other games, too, well... that's another kettle of fish, really.

10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Hmm, really hard to decide here. I've been having a lot of fun with Fallen Earth lately so I guess you could give it a try and see how you like it! :D

11. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Well-Known Member
    Regular

Eh "best MMO" depends on your wants for an MMO. but f2p wise best mmos are Neverwinter, Tera, STO, LOTRO. best paid for MMO? eh..eh...none atm. best upcoming MMO however will be Black Desert on line if it ever makes it to the US without getting butchered like Archeage.

12. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

The "BEST" as considered by numbers and base of fans right now has to be centered around Final Fantasy 14: ARR. Not just because I'm a fan boy, which I will admit I played since Beta. But that's not why - due to subscriptions, multiple servers across many countries, a storied history and franchise behind it, and more picking it up by the day. And the new expansion Heavensward is coming out and introducing, gasp, ala WoW style, Flying locales/Mounts. So, I would have said at one time WoW had it. But not anymore, though they still probably make more in revenue.

The reason I say this used to say WoW since I played it Vanilla-BC, but I left before the others so I really don't have a say into what it became. Same with Everquest 2, and LOTRO. I've skipped past both of them since. Tried DDO, was fun for what it was. Tera was interesting and I like their battle systems being active much like Guild Wars 2 but better and more improvisational So it's really personal preference. But on consistent stats and numbers, non biased, I think WoW still reels in a boat load of money and so does SE with FFXIV. If you rate best like that.

But best is very loaded as a question. Everyone will give different responses to games they love to play.

13. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess you're right.

14. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

Guild Wars 2 is probably the most 'innovative' MMO on the market aside from TERA, I'd say. Their open battle worlds/combat styles depending on class (Tera) or Weapons in what hands (Guild Wars 2) combined with both their worlds, bosses, and stuff to do make them the best in the market currently "Active Battling" instead of instanced play.

Also the fact that both can play free after initial purchase or free overall with premium subs means that both don't slap you in the face with that 15 dollar reoccurring fee like most MMOS. Though for overall quality, I'd pick GW2 because their cash shop is purely cosmetic and cosmetics don't break games.

Tera is kind Pay to Win - I say kind of because their pay to win doesn't really break their characters, it just lets character leap ahead until the other plays gap close. It's still a closeable gap - because the best gear comes from dungeons and as such you have to play to be able to win in the traditional sense of it. Not buying a subscription, which just makes things easier/social status type of way/access to regions (like most Freemiums) is nothing new. You can buy your way into gold but gold doesn't unbalance TERA thankfully. It just is as I said, speeds it up a bit to endgame. Crafting/Enchanting wise.

Regardless, I'd still pay if I liked the game and wanted to support it because it's a very well made game. Guild Wars 2 is beautiful because the one time fee and it's always free and their shop is purely aesthetics. You can buy EXP boosts, but even inside GW1 levelling wasn't really a focus. the 80 cap in 2 is basically the 20 cap in 1, all over again. It's not really about fast levelling, it's about enjoying the game as you clear it. If you don't mind a video, check out AngryJoe's review of this. It sums up perfectly well, and he tells you why it's worth each of those 30-40 bucks you pay for it.

I still keep GW2 installed no matter what computer I'm on. It's a nice to go back to it, and it's one of the only games I've never regret spending my money on. Games with no monthly like GW1/2 and plenty of "Freemiums" who've garned my play time were worth the money I spent. I enjoyed it.

But personally? I'm still overall addicted to FFXIV. There's just so much do in it, I simply don't mind Square-Enix charging 15 a month for it. I've had endlessly more fun in that game then most MMOS on the market. And trust me, I've played a lot. If I could take back all those other subs or money back, I'd say this to Square Enix:

[​IMG]

That's just my humble opinion at the moment.

Kyler likes this.
  15. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

That's great Shimus. I think that's wonderful and the video does sum it up perfectly. I think that has been my experience as well. I bought the heroic edition or something and I was quite satisfied with it.

16. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

Glad to hear a satisfied customer. It's so hard to break traditional MMO molds, but GW seems to do it effortlessly.

Kyler likes this.
  17. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Good to see more GW2 players coming out haha. I've been playing since late beta and though I haven't been on it lately I still enjoy the game a ton. It's all about what you're looking for in a game honestly. WoW's alright if you're a casual player and just wanna see what the hullaballoo is about or have a long standing relationship with various guilds/friends. FF14 is awesome purely game-wise, but sadly I don't have the time dedication anymore to go further into it. :[

An MMO after all is all dependent on how you choose to play it. If you're a social player then it's the other players than enhance that appeal. If you're competitive and wanna be in the best raid teams in the world then WoW's extremely good for that. PvP tournaments are well funded on WoW's part and in part on Anet's (GW1/2) as well. To me it's a mixture of social and PvE competitiveness that drives me to certain games. I've made a ton of friends and been on tons of competitive raid teams over the years and that's what brings me back all the time.

18. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

That's what great about it. It keeps the passion in you to play. Me and my girlfriend are new players and we have never seen any more fun game than GW, and more fair.

19. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

I have to agree with that statement. I've definitely had more fun on GW2 then most MMOs and mostly from the Jumping/Rage Puzzles! And the "oops, I fell off a cliff and died accidentally" fun times.

20. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Hahaha, I can relate to that.