Quantcast

What did you think about Skyward Sword?

Discussion in 'The Legend of Zelda' started by Eva, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Eva

Eva Active Member

I am a huge fan of the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I also enjoyed Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, just not as much. Should I give Skyward Sword a shot? I've been meaning to, I just haven't felt a huge push to do so. In fact, I can't remember hearing a single friend of mine talking about the game. Was it unpopular for some reason? Did you enjoy it?

2. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

To be honest, I think Skyward Sword is the best Legend of Zelda game ever created. I found it much more enjoyable to play than the other Zelda games. Yes, when Legend of Zelda.

If you're a fan of the series, Skyward Sword is a must pay.

3. zacwrong

zacwrong New Member

I find most people bashing Skyward Sword for it's motion controls compared to the usual buttons, but swinging the remote while playing is not as bad as most people say. Other than that, I feel that more people like Twilight Princess compared to Skyward Sword because of the darker themes Twilight Princess had, which everyone wanted. Skyward Sword is as fun as any 3D zelda game, and you can't miss it at all. So if you enjoyed the previous games, SS is a must.

4. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

Skyward Sword was definately a good game with a lot of content. The only cons are that the experimental controls were really awkward and some of the dialog was way too long. It would be a fun game to speed run if it didn't take so long to get through all of the dialog.

5. alfonso

alfonso Well-Known Member

I really didn't have the chance to play a lot of it, but I hear a lot of good things about the story. I played Skywar Sword a few times at a friends house. The game play in unique, over all its a fun game to play and the graphics are impressive.

6. Vegany

Vegany Member

Can I still chime in?

I didn't like skyward sword. It lacked the charm of all other zelda games. Here are my main gripes with it

--- They had a WHOLE HUGE SKY, and they just filled it with...rocks! Only 4 of the rocks even had anything on them. The rest were just easy chests.
    --- Same thing with the sand sea. What, like 3 islands you could even go on maybe and a whole sea of water? Come on. Doesn't have to be windwaker here, but at least give us something.
    --- Way too linear.
    --- Wasn't much in the way of exploring. Evey thing was too "open" with not enough nooks and crannies or actually interesting goodies to find.
    --- They almost restored my faith with the silent realm trials, but once I realized I'd be doing them again and again, it grew redundant.
    --- Sidequests felt too trivial. I felt more like I was doing lame chores for people.

I just grueled through the game and so did my brother. He didn't care for it either.

7. Pickicool

Pickicool Member

I loved it, but it does not beat my favorite: Wind Waker.
    The use of the WiiMote is well exploited.
    The game is nice and how our character evolution which I like.

I think for a Wii game, it was excellent.
    The obligation of the Wiimote Plus was unfortunate but necessary.

I would play it again one day because I've never ends.

Zelda is a classic and we need one for the Wii U.

8. Linkzelda41

Linkzelda41 Member

Skyward Sword was a fairly decent game to play, but I still liked Wind Waker more for several reasons. One of those reasons is Tetra had a different demeanor compared to the other Zelda individuals in the past.

The Zelda in Skyward Sword finally had a bit more freedom other than just standing around there looking helpless in a Castle Tower. I admit that it was fairly linear and 100% completion was just a matter of how patient you were.

I liked the characters and the bosses, and it’s really one of those few aspects to look for when Nintendo has been streaming this franchise for so long now. Give Skyward Sword a try if you can afford the Motion Plus and all that.

I think it was aimed mostly to show off the controller’s advanced capabilities, which means some things were spoon-fed for whatever audience Nintendo felt was necessary to cater to. The character Fi definitely dethroned Navi from being Captain Obvious by a long shot.

Not trying to shun the game down completely, but with Twilight Princess, which definitely has its own aspects I would love to glorify, any Zelda game will have its flaws when people take off the nostalgia glasses.

9. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

I haven't played much of it it, but I honestly don't think it's that great compared to others. Maybe I'm not the right person to say this since I'm overly obsessed with Majora's Mask, but I just don't like the game. It's not bad, just not my cup of tea.

10. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Skyward Sword is one of the best Zelda games ever made, although I agree with anyone that says WindWaker was the best one in the franchise.

11. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

Skyward Sword is beautiful. From the motion controls flying your bird to the swinging of the Wii Remote to use all of Link's various gadgets, it immersed you into the game. You felt less like you were controlling Link than you WERE Link. This makes you rethink different outcomes to puzzles that before with a controller would have seemed impossible, such as the multisword strokes and the skyward strike. Even the Stalfos fights.

I don't think it's the best one, but it was one of the only ones aside from Ocarina of Time that made me feel sad that it had ended after I beat it (NOOO FIII DON'T GOOOOO T_T). I didn't get that feeling from any other game in the franchises, not even the heralded Link to the Past or WindWaker, both of which I also enjoyed immensely.

And if anyone doesn't agree that FI doesn't deserve a top slot can throw themselves off a cliff. She called me master and wasn't as annoying as NAVI lol.

And here theme rocked:

Chills. Beautiful.

12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

I have played through skyward sword and I liked it. I guess with is game you either like it or hate it. I didn't find the controls to be akward. As a matter of fact it is nice change of pace compared to mashing buttons on a traditional control alone.

Yes you do waste some time flying in the sky but how is that different from when you wasted time riding on a boat in WW or riding on Epona? You also have to watch how often you run since link has limited stamina. Some people may not like this if they are used to running everywhere but I think it forces you to be stragetic with your running and managing your staminia.

The boss fights are decent with some familiar elements, like slash the eye ball tactics. Some boss fights require more thoughtfulness. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has not played it yet but give it a try. You can always watch a few YouTube videos of people playing the game before you buy it yourself.

13. Necrotica

Necrotica Active Member Regular

I wasn't a big fan of the fact that Skyward Sword holds the player's hand way too much, especially because of Fi. However, the story was great and it was nice that Zelda had a much stronger personality this time around.

14. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE! Regular

I have it, but I haven't ever played it to be honest. I think I got it for my son and it is just collecting dust. I might try it and report back with what I think. I never was much for RPGs on the Wii but I may as well give it a shot.

15. Necrotica

Necrotica Active Member Regular

I definitely recommend it. It may not be the best Zelda, but I'd say it's one of them.

16. Jboh

Jboh Active Member Regular

I wasn't a fan of Skyward Sword. It was really linear and I didn't enjoy the world as much as I did in previous titles. I was a fan of seeing more characters being fleshed out, though. Especially Zelda. She did have some stuff going on in Wind Waker, but it felt like she wasn't really important in Twilight Princess until the end.