Quantcast

What are your opinions about the game?

Discussion in 'Civilization: Beyond Earth' started by Chris_A, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

And how's that not a flop? :D You pay the price of a full game, and what you get is basically an expanded DLC for Civ 5. Heck, a dedicated team of modders could have done most of this stuff for free, except the graphics perhaps. I expect more value for my cash, really.

2. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

Not sure about the price, right now. Did they really charge the price of a full game with Beyond Earth?

3. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

As far I know they did, they're still doing that - for example, on the Steam platform, Beyond Earth costs more than Civ 5 (buyers being totally ripped, in my humble opinion).

4. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I think it is a good game and alright to pass the time and different to what I am used to and this one seemed to have modern technology compared to the other games. It seems like a rushed game at times and the budget could of been cut so in the end the game was not as good as other ones and think if more planning went into the game would of been better. The concept is good as you ae dealing with aliens and scientific technology which people may have found different.

5. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

This was kind of a disappointment but I could see potential in it. Perhaps in the future they will pick this up again and correct the mistakes they made although maybe they have been discouraged by this one.

6. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE! Regular

yAwn... and 3/4 even. That pretty much sums it up. Boring.

7. ProNine

ProNine Well-Known Member Regular

The problem is, I won't see myself replaying the game, mainly because of the lack of the replay ability aspect of it. The victory conditions are quite easy and the process itself just feels repetitive. Plus, all the leaders seem to be similar and lack the uniqueness which would drive you to engage in the game once again.

8. Nytegeek

It is boring. Not fun at all. A complete waste of money. Thankfully my friend already wasted money on it and I got to see it. No way anybody should pay for something so boring.

9. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

Well I think that there is a little merit in saying that the buyer beware and that they knew what they were paying for, but I think that even if that was the case I think everyone expected something more from the game. At least anything to really differentiate it in terms of game play would have been nice. Oh well, though, on to the next one.

10. Nytegeek

Buyer beware? I don't think people knew that it would be so bad before buying it. It's not like the promos for it said, "unadulterated boring crap!" Of expected more!

11. Nelfy

Nelfy Member Regular

As a huge fan of the Civ series I have to say that I instantly felt drawn in by this relatively new concept of the game. Sure, at its core, it has pretty much the same mechanics and the same way it functions, but the environment is different, the interactions are different and its a whole new universe to explore! I love the idea of uncovering new worlds and new dimensions so of course I went into the game with a lot of enthusiasm and I honestly had fun all the way through. The idea that this time not only other colonies (mainly humans) are a threat to you, but also aliens! was a big thumbs up for me. Think about it, you have the possibility to research defences that can help you keep away these nasty intruders (ultra sonic fences and what not), you can encounter many types of alien species and even have to deal with their nests. All this while trying to keep your neighbouring colonies at peace and constantly collaborating and growing. It is easy for me to get lost in such a waste world, one with so many new resources (algae and tubers for food, chitin and fiber for production, plankton and fungus for science), with so many new research trees and virtues to try out and explore - these things alone fuel my enthusiasm to play another map and choose other settings to see how things evolve this time. All in all, if you love exploring and are a fan of Civ, I would recommend this to you any day, simple because it gives you the opportunity to spread out your wings into outer space this time, and of course, all the perks that come with that!

12. Nytegeek

TL;DR except to briefly scan over it and come away with two suggestions. The period and paragraphs are your friends so use them! A giant wall of text with run-on sentences is not good way to communicate.

13. JustinG

JustinG New Member

"This ain't your grandpa's Civ game!" The game is different than most Civilization fans are used to, but I've still had a lot of fun playing it. The change of setting is nice and the gameplay is consistently solid. It's definitely not my favorite game in the franchise, but it's a fun way to kill a few hours when you're bored with the more traditional Civ games.

14. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

I think that if you're the kind of player that likes the futuristic scheme this game is good for you since it's mixed with the traditional Civilization gameplay I really think it is an enjoyable game to play, but as I said, it depends whether if you really like the kind of gameplay or not really, I personally did not like it way too much since it is not my gaming style whatsoever, that is my opinion though.

15. iRoxas

iRoxas Member Regular

I think the game requires the Rising Tides DLC to truly be worthwhile, if I didn't have it, then I don't think I would play it. I think the politics doesn't match up to the other Civ games and neither does the AI. I think I like the victory conditions more though, because even though they are tied to the affinity system, I think that they're better designed than the ones in the main series.

16. bluesnow

bluesnow Member

I'm going to be honest... I didn't get into the series till Civ 5, but I fell in love instantly. When they announced Beyond Earth I was extremely excited till I actually played it. I felt that they removed and simplified certain fun aspects of Civ 5 that weren't needed while not added enough new interesting game mechanics.

I liked that they tried to spruce up with science tree to make it appear like you have more choice- but I would often get lost in the web. I also felt like the character choices weren't very unique compared with all the different countries that could be played in the previous game.

In the end I tried to play through it 3 times, and I really wanted to like it, but I managed to give up each time out of frustration.

17. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

You're somewhat right, it's a little bit more complicated than any other game of the series but, you already know that Civ games are strategy games and therefore require patience and time, if you really wanna enjoy Civ games and take advantage of them you will have to be as patient as you can, it's all about enjoying the whole thing and not quitting as soon as you frustrate.

18. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

I haven't played it a lot, I only tried it out when I went to a friends house and he insisted on me trying it. It wasn't enough for me to go out and buy the game, nut I still think if they could iron out some of the rough edges it could really be a great game.

19. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

Yes and it is sad

20. jalikam

jalikam Well-Known Member Regular

I don't think it is a flop. It is a good game and I think everyone should try the game at least once before giving any review. Just by watching the gameplay you can say that it is a good game.