Quantcast

What are your opinions about the game?

Discussion in 'Civilization: Beyond Earth' started by Chris_A, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

Did you play it yet? What are your general opinions about Beyond Earth? I have played it though a couple of times and I think it is really fun to play. Definitely a time-sink.

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

Just...no. I'm a huge fan of the civilization games, I'm a pretty big fan of sci-fi. I'm definitely addicted to everything that has to do with space, planets etc. But this game was just bad.

The gameplay got boring after 2-3 games. The whole story... well there was nothing that would draw me in. Really the only thing that made you think the game was not on planet earth was the landscape. I really think the game is the biggest flop in the civilization series. Decent idea, horrible execution.

3. Chris_A

I know many people said the same thing about it but I think the map was really well done. You really feel like you are on another planet. And also, the wildlife was really cool, even if you know that they kind of replaced barbarians from other Civ games with them.

4. isthismad

isthismad Member Regular

I agree with you. This game is the biggest flop in the entire series. Anyone else agree with us?

5. isthismad

isthismad Member Regular

I liked the graphics and the sound but I would not rate it much. It's a flop in my opinion.

6. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

It would be acceptable as a stand-alone game, but as a part of Civilization series, it's really disappointing. I enjoyed the very first hours, when you don't know what anything does and, unlike the classical Civs, it's not easy to guess (since we have weird alien resources instead of familiar horses, fish etc). I also liked the new tech tree, but other aspects of the game are not up to my standards. Diplomacy is too easy, because the attitude of AI empires is very predictable, the city-sates mechanic was practically removed (and it was best addition in Civ 5, IMO), the wonders don't play much of a role... In general, the game feels like a simplified version of Civilization V, and complexity and strategic depth are the things that I love Civ games for in the first place.

7. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I was super excited for the game, but just ended up immensely disappointed by it in the end. It doesn't feel like enough of the gameplay changed between Civ V and Beyond Earth, and I think the stuff that has changed, changed for the worst. Personally, I haven't played the expansion pack, so I'm not sure if that improves anything at all, but I've just not had the drive to buy it.

8. YaBoyJoey

YaBoyJoey Member Regular

I think the game did a really good job at accomplishing a really "alien" atmosphere and feeling. Unfortunately, the gameplay itself makes the game feel like it needs DLCs for it to be particularly interesting. I tried really, really hard to like this game, and tried playing it in several different styles, but just couldn't get over how stale it was. I just hope that Civ VI doesn't disappoint me like BE did.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Sadly I haven't got around to trying it yet but from what I've read here and on other sites the gameplay seems to be lackluster but the concept is nice. I'm not really sure if I should give it a shot.

10. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, you should give it a shot. The concept is really nice. Well, you can't say anything until and unless you play it.

11. gonemorp

Why was it boring for you? Any specific reason?

12. gonemorp

I really can't beleive you will consider it as a flop. I will never consider it a flop. What was the depressing thing for you?

13. jonthai

jonthai Member Regular

Every game of Civilization is fun to play.It all depends on the taste you have on the various times of history.I personally didn't play it, but my friend did and he used to tell me really enjoyed it,so it must be good.

14. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

I'm a big history buff, and that's why I loved strategy games such as Civilization, Rise of Nations, and Red Alert. They portray the different events in history in a way that is both educational and fun. However, when I read about Beyond Earth, it seemed like a step away from the direction that has been the staple for Civilization games. It takes place in the future, and it became more of science fiction rather than revisionist history.

15. Chris_A

Why would you say that? What makes you think it is a flop? I mean, basically it a reskin of Civ V, which is a really good game.

16. YaBoyJoey

YaBoyJoey Member Regular

I feel like I would rather play Beyond Earth as a DLC than its own game just because the elements that were changed, weren't necessarily for the better. I do like the Alien AI in place of the barbarians, but I found espionage in BE to be so unexciting, especially in comparison to Civ V. Trading also sort of took a hit in my eyes, with it becoming more of a boring necessity. I did like all the new military units, though. I feel like this game had a lot of potential, but it just didn't pop.

17. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member Regular

I think as it stands it's an inferior game to Civ V in almost every way. I'm still hoping for a good DLC pack to salvage it but it's just not all that fun and deep in terms of strategy.

18. Chris_A

I think they kind of fixed things with the expansion pack to the game. I really love being able to build underwater cities now.

YaBoyJoey likes this.
  19. YaBoyJoey

YaBoyJoey Member Regular

I sort of have a gripe with games which are incomplete without a DLC. I paid for a full game, not three-fourths of one, having to pay later for the extra fourth, y'know? I just wish it were more playable without a DLC, which would make me a lot more willing to spend on the DLC. Underwater cities sound really cool; I just wish that there were features like that natively included.

20. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

I have seen some gameplay of it, as well as some reviews and I am not convinced that this is a very good game. However, I have not played it (because I do not know it and I am unsure whether the investment would be worth it).
    A good friend told me that the idea is cool (which I agree with), but the execution is just bad.