Quantcast

What are your favorite Nintendo DS RPGs?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, Oct 6, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

The Nintendo DS is a very famous handheld console from Nintendo. It has a huge library of games including RPGs. I've just recently got into the DS hype and now I'm trying to find what the best RPGs for the DS are. So could you please mention your favorite DS RPGs and also why you consider them your favorites.

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I have not played a lot of RPG's on the DS, but I really enjoyed playing Kingdom Hearts Re:coded.

3. ZackBanana

ZackBanana Member

I'm not sure if this counts, but I remember having a lot of fun playing LostMagic. It's real-time strategy mixed with role-playing. You would play the game from a top down perspective controlling the main character, Isaac, and your own personal team of elemental monsters. As Isaac, you can draw runes on-screen and shoot out various types of magical attacks. The monsters can only do attacks based on what their element is.
    The game had an interesting story mechanic. You could choose to stay good, or go down the path of evil. I don't remember the plot, but it was an overall fun experience. If you manage to find a copy, you should definitely buy it.

I heard about a spiritual successor by the name Takt of Magic, but it was only released in Japan and received poor reviews. Then there was a sequel for mobile phones where you would press the number pad to cast spells. It seems like this game really fell through the cracks. Such a shame, I'd love to see a proper sequel.

4. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Hmm, Lost Magic... Sounds interesting. I think I saw this game before but the name didn't really appeal to me. But now that you have described how the game goes, I'm definitely going to check this out. I love real time strategy games. And since it is merged into an RPG, that doubles the fun. :)

5. Green

Green Member

Does Pokemon count as a RPG i'm not sure on the definition of RPG but the Pokemons were always my favourite.

6. ZackBanana

ZackBanana Member

If you get the game, try and get more than one copy. LostMagic has an awesome multiplayer feature. The most fun I ever had was when I played local multiplayer with my friends. I don't remember exactly how it worked, but I think you could actually take your whole team into the battle with you. It was loads of fun.

I really wish they would make a new online version of this game, I'd love to play against other people from all over the world. Now that I think about it, this game would be perfect for today's touch based smartphones. You could draw the runes on screen easily, and they could even put online multiplayer in it. I'd buy that game in a second! Damn, now I'm excited over a game that will probably never be.

7. casiolol

casiolol Well-Known Member

I have not played that many RPG's for the DS. I do have Castlevania which is more of an action RPG than a strict RPG. My favorite is Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor.

8. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

I think they count, I always refer to them as the best team-building RPG's out there :)

Besides that I liked The World Ends With You, a really surprising RPG that came out of nowhere.