Quantcast

Virtual Reality

Discussion in 'Civilization VI' started by Sad Puppy, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

Interesting thing: in an interview, the art director Brian Busatti says he "would love" to see this feature implemented in game (source: the IGN's article on
    How Firaxis Will Redefine Civilization's Art Style). It's not going to happen with the vanilla release, but maybe it might be a thing when the expansions/DLCs start coming out. Do you like this idea? I don't think it would really enhance gameplay, but that's just my personal opinion.

2. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member Regular

I don't think that VR is going to be released anytime soon. I think we need to wait a little longer for a perfect VR launch.

3. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

@gonemorp I know, I did say it'll be a expansion thing. But if even develoeprs consider it a possibility for Civ6, it means it's not just a wild guess, right? I don't think that VR would a huge addition to Civilization, the games were always about strategy in the first place, not immersion, and besides, the graphic in Civ 6 is less realistic than in Civ 4 and 5 and more in the style of previous games. I actually like the screenshot released so far, but I don't think VR is good for that sort of thing.

4. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I don`t really think you could play a Civ game in VR. I mean, these games were always designed to be played with keyboard and mouse.

5. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member Regular

VR is this year...it's already here. Lots of people have it already, the idea of VR+Civ is making me so happy in the heart, this is like the most badass idea ever

6. jonthai

jonthai Member Regular

I don't like it at all.Civilization isn't a game that looks ''cool'' with virtual reality.It needs to be way more immersive and with different camera angles to actually be a game at the level of virtual reality. It needs to capture the person's attention, and with the current game design, it just doesn't do it.

7. Belovedad

Belovedad Well-Known Member Regular

I don't see where it would be applicable to the game. It just seems as if it would be confusing. If it is released in the future, I have no intentions in trying it out.

8. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Well-Known Member Regular

The civ series seems to me, like one of the video games that could use VR the least. The birds eye view wouldn't really make it that engaging, and would be more of a hassle to play with it, in my opinion.

9. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

You're basically playing a leader of a nation, or in a much lesser extent, a god of your own universe. I don't think virtual reality can be very useful in strategy games, because VR is more on role playing games and immersing yourself with one character, whereas you do not have a main character in Civilization games, just armies and cities and the like.

10. roguefox

roguefox Member Regular

I saw a VR clip of people playing 'Hearthstone' which is a game that, a lot like Civ, has tactical moves, a UI, a big overview of a board that you don't traverse as a character. I don't think it works for this game personally, and I'd stick to Civ on a keyboard and mouse or even console and a huge TV screen, but to me something charming would be lost in the VR space. VR really doesn't look that nice right now, and you have to raise everything to be a 3D object that can be tampered with or moved with your 'controller' if you want it to even make sense as a VR anyway. Sorry if this seems way too overly negative but I just think the medium it's in already suits the game just fine. Personal preference!

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I don't really know if VR would work for Civilization or any other strategy game for that matter, it wouldn't add anything unless they make it first person via VR and you can control the leader, although they would need to change the whole game interface if that happens.

12. Sparks

Sparks Member Regular

If they are planning on doing VR for this game, I would be very interested to see how it was implemented. I can't really imagine how VR would be used for this game, other than maybe solely for just looking around from a top-down perspective in the sky. I also don't know what sort of practical applications VR would bring to the game, if any.

13. dwarvenexodus

dwarvenexodus New Member

The thing is, Firaxis are never going to force you to use VR. If they implement it, it will just be an extra feature, it's not going to take anything away from the game. Even if VR is still very young, it is a very fast-growing market, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see VR coming to more mainstream games at some point soon. That said, like Sparks, I'm not really sure what additional functionality they could squeeze out of VR, beyond the novelty value - which is a problem that a lot of VR developers face. Still, it could be quite cool to get that sense of scale and scope on the game board - it might help those Huge maps feel truly 'huge'! :p

Sad Puppy likes this.
  14. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

Can you explain this a bit? General consensus seems to be that Civ is not really a game where VR would be applicable and I definitely agree with that. I'm wondering what makes you think the opposite.

15. StillWinning

Civ and games like it don't -NEED- VR, but they are a broad enough concept that it can be easily added. It isn't necessarily about Civ in its current state but more about what it would imply for the game if you had access to VR as well as the game. I think most people that knock VR have never actually worn a headset to understand the full dimensional jump that happens once you enter a game

16. Vladimir Logos

Vladimir Logos Member Regular

Oh come on guys, we're not used to it of course, but VR is perfectly applicable here. Imagine just seeing the screen in front of you (only CIV and no peripheral vision - no lights, walls etc.) then moving your arm in front of your face so you could touch a unit and send it off to a new location. Or touch the city and then interact with production order. You would have to stand (instead of sit) and move around a bit, but that isn't that bad - it's actually healthier to stand than to sit (sitting is the new smoking and all).

I can totally see this working.

17. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

Not knocking VR here, just generally interested in its application in a game like Civ. I mean, the whole game is about having a good overview of the action going on and being firm control of it, while (and correct me if I'm wrong) VR is about first-person immersion.

18. StillWinning

Not necessarily. VR is just scaled visuals. In other words, you always have a bird's eye view of...something. Instead of seeing a building on a screen, you see it as if it were right next to you. Imagine lucid dreaming a game of civ and you'll see what I mean

19. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

Maybe they could add it as a feature like how GTA put FPV on their new versions of the game but I honestly don't know how they would incorporate it although it does make me curious. Maybe future versions of the game will have this feature.

20. StillWinning

^ Exactly, kind of need to anyways because of the market disconnect until VR is cheap. The thing is, if you had the option, I seriously doubt you would want to do it otherwise. Gotta get some time with goggles on before you understand, the difference is so universally better, it's like noise-cancelling headphones except reality-cancelling eyegoggles lol