Quantcast

Versus AI or Online?

Discussion in 'Civilization V' started by EleGiggle, Jun 16, 2016.

1. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

Personally I prefer to play with a good friend of mine online and with him we play against the AI in somewhat unfair matchups to make the game challenging. I normally don't play with random people from the internet, because I can't really trust them and I am not really in control of how much I can play without just being kicked out/lose my spot. This is something you don't have to worry about at all when playing with your friend/s, because you can mostly just agree to pause the game and resume it some other point when you have time again.

Do you play Civ mostly versus the AI, or do you focus more on the multiplayer? Or both? Do you play with friends or random people if you play online?

2. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

Well, for me, I have always hated online communities. There have been lots of toxic players on every community in each game, and I'd rather not mingle with them. For me, a good clean game with a bunch of AI on offline mode is enough, because I can pause whenever I want, I wouldn't have to listen to rants, and I can just appreciate the game at the end of the day.

3. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

Playing with AI can get boring for me so even though I like to play it from time to time at a certain point I get tired of it and just play online. Sometimes I feel the same way for online though I have to admit but not as much as I do on AI.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Nowadays I only play online since I've been playing this game for a while, I know how to beat the AI everytime so it's not that challenging for me.

5. Jaydon A.

Jaydon A. Member Regular

I would rather play on online because there is something more challenging about knowing your opponent is a real human. When playing with AI it is easier to predict their next move because they are, after all, just a program. With another human it can be more fun because you never know what they are going to do!

6. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

I generally play vs AI. The AI in Civilization games is generally competent and quite the challenge to play against. It's hard to set up an online match because of how long a game of civilization can take to complete.

7. DeeDee

I agree. For what it's worth the AI in this game is indeed really good and from time to time it's not such a bad alternative for when for one reason or another you don't feel like playing multiplayer or just don't have the time to invest in it.

8. DrGeneKaufmanEsq

DrGeneKaufmanEsq Member Regular

At this point this is pretty much my favorite way to play. I have at least 1 human who may or may not act as they always do, and some AI in odd situations to spice things up. One time we played a game were we all got AI partners (including the AI) and we both got crappy civs.(he got Sulieman and I got Dido)

That said I actually have never played an online game with people I don't know. It's hard to enough to schedule time with people I do know, let alone those I do not. I just never felt like it was worth the stress of trying to schedule things around a game of Civ.

Alot of times though I will just play a game with AI by myself on say a tundra heavy map or something while watch netflix or something just to chill.

9. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I enjoy playing offline gameplay and it can be nice to play against the artificial intelligence as it can be challenging, and you can see how good you are playing against the enemy in the game. It can be nice to build up your army and also having to defend it from the AI in the game, and depending on how good they are it can be a tough fight. I have not played online as othe people can be annoying or not stay long which can be irritating in the end for many people.

10. Jaydon A.

Jaydon A. Member Regular

That is a good point. I may have to play more AI once Civilization VI comes out this October.

11. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Well-Known Member Regular

I mostly play against AI for two big reasons. Number one is that when I have tried to play with friends in the past it takes WAY too long to get a game done. Number two is that whenever I try to finish a game with another human online or locally they like to quit halfway through when they realize they can't win anymore.

12. Bapsy

Bapsy Member Regular

I've always been a social gamer and that's why I enjoy the multiplayer features. Typically I play with a friend or my partner as opposed to the AI. While the AI is probably more challenging sometimes, depending on difficulty, the social aspect of chatting while gaming is more entertaining. Plus playing teams or vs can be entertaining too.

13. jasonr299x

jasonr299x Active Member Regular

I honestly prefer playing online because it's a much more authentic experience than playing versus AI is. I've come to love hearing my friends reactions to me completing Pyramids a turn before them, even though it really sucks when it happens to me, but I suppose that's part of the fun of playing Civ. Also, creating secret alliances behind my friends backs and nuking one or two players to oblivion is one of the best feelings in the game.

14. Bapsy

Bapsy Member Regular

Agreed, listening to friends as you play is so much fun. Plus annihilating living people is much more entertaining cause their reactions are fantastic. It sucks when it happens to you, but even that can be fun sometimes. Some of my friends have hilarious ways of gloating that crack me up.

15. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

I really enjoy the fact of playing coop with a friend, sometimes we just go 1v1 just to make it more interesting and competitive for both of us, we always communicate via TeamSpeak or Skype to make it more enjoyable and spend a better time playing together.

jasonr299x likes this.
  16. jasonr299x

jasonr299x Active Member Regular

1v1ing my friends is always one of my favorite passtimes. We modify the settings just a little bit so the games go as fast as possible, and it's always good fun to see who can get the strongest units in just ~20 minutes. I remember one time my friends made a faux tournament and streamed the games from both perspectives on Twitch. I ended up losing, but the whole experience was probably one of my most memorable times playing video games in my entire life. We had an entire bracket system made up, and the winner got a $5 Arby's gift card. I've never had an experience like that again, but my friends have been considering starting the whole thing up again once Civ VI drops. Here's hoping it'll be just as good as Civ V!

17. DeeDee

This is the way I do it with most games as well. A lot of the time I just spend playing it by myself until I get really good at it enough that it gets boring so I'm forced to play on another mode which breathes new life into the game.

18. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

I still haven't tried playing online but there are a lot of people that say good things about it. I will have to give it at try one of these days. I think if you know who you are playing against it could be more fun.

19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Unfortunately the Civilization franchise isn't too fond of bringing out extra content, we have to wait for the new games to see new things and features. I'm not that mad about it though.

20. bluesnow

bluesnow Member

I tried to play online only once and it went poorly for me.
    For now I will stick with the AI since I haven't managed to get past emperor difficulty yet. Sadly most of the time I just put it on Settler and have a relaxing exploration of the world before I obliterate my sad competition. Its a good stress reliever after work!