Quantcast

User reviews slaughter Dragon Age 2 on meta-critic. Is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'Dragon Age' started by Nho Huynh, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Nho Huynh

Nho Huynh New Member

Тhе аvеrаgе sсоrе іs 4 оr lоwеr. Веlоw аrе thе lіnks tо thе nеgаtіvе usеr rеvіеws gіvеn wіth tехt. Ѕоmе аrе duрlісаtеd аmоng оthеr рlаtfоrms, оthеrs аrе оnlу gіvеn fоr а gіvеn рlаtfоrm.
    Νоt surе іf І'll gо fоr thіs gаmе, rеаdіng thіs. Dіd аnуоnе hеrе рlау іt аlrеаdу аnd lіkе іt / dіslіkе іt? І lіkеd thе fіrst gаmе, hоwеvеr fоund іt unbаlаnсеd lаtеr оn, thе раrtу wаs еаsіlу оvеrwhеlmеd іn mаnу fіghts whіlе аlsо tоо strоng іn оthеrs.
    РС: httр://www.mеtасrіtіс.соm/gаmе/рс/drаgоn-аgе-іі/usеr-rеvіеws?dіst=nеgаtіvе
    360: httр://www.mеtасrіtіс.соm/gаmе/хbох-360/drаgоn-аgе-іі/usеr-rеvіеws?dіst=nеgаtіvе
    РЅ3: httр://www.mеtасrіtіс.соm/gаmе/рlауstаtіоn-3/drаgоn-аgе-іі/usеr-rеvіеws?dіst=nеgаtіvе
    ЕDІТ
    Lоts оf vаrіеd соmmеnts, whісh іs gооd, іt gіvеs bаlаnсе :) Ѕоmе lоvе іt, sоmе роіnt оut thаt thеrе аrе mаnу '0's gіvеn оn rеlеаsе dау, whісh іs іndееd wеіrd, соnsіdеrіng іt's а lеngthу gаmе. Ѕоmе hаtе іt, sоmе роіnt оut іt's асtuаllу а dіffеrеnt gаmе.
    Rеаdіng аll thе соmmеnts, І dоn't gеt thе fееlіng іt's а 'must hаvе', but аlsо thаt іt іsn't thе turd thе mеtа-сrіtіс usеr соmmеnts wаnt уоu tо bеlіеvе іt іs.

2. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

I believe people who tend to rate games below 3 for games that also have a wide range of positive scores, rate primarily based on their feelings rather than the merits of the game itself. The most common negative rating berates every aspect of the game, ultimately resulting in the usual "It's crap." I normally discard such reviews.

On the other hand, if the game does have negative ratings and I see a slew of perfect 10's, I also become cautious of them and normally discard the 10 ratings as well. So the bottom line is that I look at the in between ratings of 4-8 and see where the game balances itself out.

With that said, I have a friend who said although it does not live up to DA:O, it was still an enjoyable game for him. He told me that if the game is ever on sale, to give it a try.

3. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

I'd say that you will never know unless you try it out yourself, but if so many people tried it and said it sucks, then it probably does. There is no voice more powerful than the voice of the consumer.

4. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

To be fair, Dragon Age 2 was pretty lackluster. I wouldn't rate it below a four, but I could easily accept a 5 or 6 rating. It definitely wasn't a game I would consider anywhere near great, and it's barely even good at certain points.

5. imagenscape

imagenscape Well-Known Member

I did not care much for the game. If you compair it to dragon age origins its a horrible game. Even if you don't the game itself is pretty average. I would probably rate it a three. I don't know what bioware was thinking with that game.

6. Mimsee

Mimsee Active Member

It really was terrible. The only redeeming quality of it for me was Fenris. It's even worse if you were going to Dragon Age 2 from Origins. The amount of disappointment you feel when you realize it just isn't going to be anywhere near as good as Origins is unreal. I personally would rate Dragon Age 2 a 3.5, where Origins was a 9.

7. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, I'm not surprised at all about the reviews. Compared to Origins, Dragon Age 2 looks like a total joke. It gives me flashbacks of other sequels being ruined by the developers and overall just a disappointing storyline/content.

8. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member Regular

Look at it this way:
    As a stand-alone game; it's fine, nothing to write home about but an enjoyable game.
    As a sequel to Origins; It's rubbish, it can't even compare to the first one, that's why so many people feel that it's so bad.

9. jackdenileth

jackdenileth Member

It does have its problems, but it's nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be. Does it have a horrible amount of recycled dungeons that are only mirrored here and there? Oh yes! Does it ruin the experience? Somewhat, but not enough to ruin the game itself. Others might have a problem with the battle system, but I enjoyed it much more than in the original, where it felt somewhat sluggish. Here it's fast paced and fun most of the time. And the best change they could make was to have a protagonist who can actually speak! Gives the character interactions a lot of depth.

The developers actually tried to redeem themselves with some of the DLCs, by the way. Legacy does have actual dungeons that aren't simply recycled from the main game, for example. And it offers a storyline that might become important later on.

10. ariana_

ariana_ Active Member

I never really finished the game. I really loved Origins, and I think everyone had high expectations of Dragon Age II because Origins was amazing. It failed to match up, in my opinion. I've played Origins three times now, but Dragon Age II was just boring. I've heard good things about the storyline, so it might be worth a try if you are interested.

11. Mimsee

Mimsee Active Member

Really? The story line was the worst part for me! I actually really liked II's combat and the class changes. The story is what bored me to tears. Everything just dragged and dragged and dragged. It literally took me hours of play time to get to each different stage. It was really just unnecessarily long to me!

I guess everyone has different things they look for.

12. ariana_

ariana_ Active Member

No, I found the story (at least the beginning) really boring. But I've seen several people rave about the story line, especially the romances. I was just saying that some of my friends found the story really interesting.

Also, hey! We have such similar avatars...

13. Mimsee

Mimsee Active Member

I noticed that! I guess we both really love kitties XD mine is of my year-old Maine Coon, Lucy.

Anyway, though, I will say that one of the romances from II (Fenris) is my favorite in the series so far..so at least the game has him. I think I'd never touch it again if Fenris wasn't there XD