Unsure of Your Computer's Specs? Here Is How To Find Them!

Discussion in 'MMORPG Forums - Site News' started by pepperlizard, Apr 11, 2012.

1. pepperlizard

pepperlizard |,,|, Metal Head ,|,,|

I am knowledgeable with computer software and hardware, but I also know what it is like to not be good with this kind of stuff. I decided to make this thread in the hopes of helping other players figure out if they have the system specifications that they need to play this game, and if not what they need to upgrade in order to play this game.

Just a reminder of what this games system requirements are:

- Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
    - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or better (this is your CPU)
    - NVIDIA GeForce 7800, ATI Radeon X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (257MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
    - 25 GB available HDD space
    - Broadband Internet connection
    - Keyboard and mouse

The process may differ whether you have Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP, but you will end up in the same place at the end. I am going to show you the steps on all of these operating systems.

Windows 7/Vista:

~Lets start with the CPU (Central Processing Unit) and the RAM.

Step 1: Click the start button and then right click "Computer". once you have done that select properties.

[​IMG]

This is going to bring up a new window with most of the information that you need (picture below). If you look in the "System" section you will see Processor (This is your CPU) and Installed Memory (RAM) (this is your RAM).

[​IMG]

~Now we are going to find the information on your graphics card.

Step 1: Click the start button, then search for "run". if should be your first choice.

[​IMG]

Step 2: In Run, search for "dxdiag".

[​IMG]

Step 3: A new window will pop up, go to the "Display" tab. Here is where you will find the information on your graphics card. look at the information next to "Approx. Total Memory:" mine says 1773 MB just so you see what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

Windows XP:

~Lets start with the CPU (Central Processing Unit) and the RAM.

Step 1: Click the start button and then right click "Computer". once you have done that select properties.

[​IMG]

Step 2: look at the bottom of the window that pops up, there you will see your processor (this is your CPU) and your RAM.

[​IMG]

~Now lets find the information on your graphics card.

Step 1: click start and then select "Run". (Don't click control panel, I'm sorry if the image may be a bit misleading)

[​IMG]

Step 2: When Run opens, search for "dxdiag".

Step 3: A new window will pop up, go to the "Display" tab. Here is where you will find the information on your graphics card. look at the information next to "Approx. Total Memory:".

[​IMG]

I hope that this helps, if anyone reading this has any questions, feel free to ask.

1 person likes this.
  2. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

Hey lizard, thanks for sharing this! Should definitively help people. :)

3. pepperlizard

yeah, no problem man. If i see a need for something else like this I'll get it up.

4. Tao

Tao Member

ty! I forgot about dxdiag, I was trying to remember how to get there.

5. pepperlizard

yeah no problem man.

Also, if anyone has a tech question in general, computer or something else, shoot me a message and I'll help u out with it.

6. elmerjoyce

elmerjoyce Member

coupon code:ALLCDKEY74699,Enjoy 6% discount for your Diablo 3,Guild wars 2 and all cdkey purchase at allcdkey.com

7. Jordanatr

Jordanatr New Member

Thanks

My "Approx. Total Memory:" is 1696MB What does this mean? is it bad?

8. Mameshiba

Mameshiba Member

A really handy tool that tells you pretty precisely weather or not you can run a specific game is System Requirements Lab. The site has a drop-down list of a huge selection of games, that updates pretty frequently. The site downloads and runs a quick little Java applet and analyses your specs. It also makes recommendations on the best settings to run said game on:

http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

9. Zlyuka

Zlyuka Well-Known Member

Is this your own article? Mind if I repost it on my guild's forums with a backlink to you? We have many very casual players like moms with kids and I'm tired of explaining simple things to them :)

Please PM me the source link if this is your own article, thanks!

10. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I guess this is useful if you bought your computer if you built your own you should know your specs like the back of your hand.

11. dieselfit

dieselfit Active Member

This is extremely useful because you never know what could be lied about when you buy a used computer although it just be unknown by the seller. It's great to have this info! Thank you

12. lord1027

lord1027 Well-Known Member

Nice tutorial, very well explained for every newbie to understand :) Cheers to you, OP! :)

13. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Impressive very nice and clear and the inclusion of both Windows 7 and Windows XP versions of the tutorial is inspired!

14. courageoflions

courageoflions Well-Known Member

Very good tutorial, will keep this bookmarked if I ever need to share!

15. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

16. Linkzelda41

Linkzelda41 Member

I use a program called "CPUID CPU-Z" that's free to use and can give more specifics such as the RAM product name, CPU family, Core Speed, and other technical details. It helped me remove a lot of doubts of what my laptop could really play, and it can be useful when trying to do an accurate benchmark testing comparative analysis of other CPUs and GPUs.