Underwhelming Raid System

Discussion in 'Fallout 4 Discussion' started by LCastle, Dec 23, 2015.

1. LCastle

LCastle Member

Is anyone else bothered about the underwhelming way Bethesda implemented raids to the settlement system? We get like 3-5 guys every raid, and every raid comes once in a blue moon. I got in to FO4 thinking it would be a more prominent part of gameplay, but so far it's only presented itself as a minor annoyance. Really hoping GECK mods would rectify this soon.

2. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Eh, I probably don't mind it too much because I would be irritated if my settlement would get raided every time I decide to go travel and I come back to find the place wrecked. Then again, I usually ignore making settlements since I prefer living on the go and only get a place so I can store stuff I don't need at the moment.

3. Patrickz

Patrickz Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm pretty ok with it, I don't think I would enjoy raids being too damaging, and having to rebuild my settlement from scratch every time I leave...

4. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

I agree with the others. Raids are an annoyance now, more frequent\dangerous ones would just be even more annoying. Idk, I just don't like stuff like that in any game. I still remember San Andreas and territory defending, ugh.

5. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Ah, don't remind me. It seemed like every time I wanted to go do my own thing in the game, I had to go back a protect a neighborhood and sometimes the same place would get attacked rather than a different place. That meant I had to do the story first before i could relax and have fun...

6. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, dragging you across the map to defend a territory, was incredibly tedious. I just stopped bothering at some point.

7. Melbert

Melbert Member

My settlement is so small I very rarely get any raids, and all of them have occured when I was at the settlement. The raids were also very anticlimactic, they consisted of a lone super mutant or raider and my companions and turrets crushed them. They should be more menacing, or a system could be implemented that makes them more frequent during a certain time period, such as when you posess a certain item or object. When it's easy and non-threatening it becomes annyoing.

8. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member
    Regular

This has been my experience most of the time, but every now and then I get hit with an epic raid that's genuinely challenging to tackle. Most of the time they come from Super Mutants - for example, I have vivid memories of a dozen or so Super Mutants showing up on my island settlement (can't remember the name, but it's near the Castle) and demolishing the place during one of my visits. Took a while to clean up once my settlers and I managed to kill them, and it was a pretty epic fight all around.

I find the missions they give more annoying. I don't want to rescue kidnapped settlers all the time.

9. John1

John1 New Member

I probably haven't been playing as long as the op has been, so take the following with a grain of salt. So far, I feel that the number of raids I've experienced at my settlements has been fairly realistic -not too many, not too little. This thread prompts me to wonder about how raids themselves are motivated within the game. Do they occur more or less often based on factors such as current level of defense, how they are defended, what kinds of defense mechanisms are being implemented, geographical locale of said defense implements around the settlement? Do wealthier settlements get attacked more often? Does the amount of power and number of lights affect any of this? Anyone have any information on this?

10. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that they don't happen nearly often enough as they should considering how much items and artillery they included in the game for it. I have a huge guard post at the entrance to Sanctuary Hills and I have never been attacked yet, having logged over 70 hours in game. It should be something they patch in the future in my opinion.

11. ProNine

ProNine Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm ok with this current raid system. I am in general the kind of player who just likes to keep moving around rather than stopping and settling in one place. Plus, assuming I do settle, like others mentioned above, why would you always want to come back to a possibly ruined town?

12. Nelfy

Nelfy Member
    Regular

While I do see the source of your annoyance with the raid system, and ultimately the repetitive nature of these raid sequences, I feel that they are needed in this sort of game. This world is not a safe nor a friendly one - this is an idea that keeps being promoted in the game and keeps popping up at ever corner. The fact that you simply liberate an outpost doesn't mean that it will forever be safe because you bestowed your hero spirit upon it. While the raids might have needed a bit of polishing up - let's say diversity in numbers, structure, difficulty, I am quite ok with the manner in which they happen and their frequency. It would prove to be quite troublesome if the raids would happen more frequently, as I feel that I personally would not bother to go out of my way in order to save an outpost, no matter how much strategical importance it holds for me.

13. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

Honestly, I have to agree that the raid system is immensely disappointing. As it stands, the system just feels kind of meaningless, It's easily ignorable and just not very entertaining. In my opinion, it should be a bigger more elaborate feature or it shouldn't be in the game at all.

1 person likes this.
  14. CoNiGMa

CoNiGMa New Member

I'm at level 52 and have only had one raid on Sanctuary which was easily dispatched by my turrets and settlers. It was about 6 or 7 super mutants. My other settlements have had numerous raid but had hardly any defense because they hold no use to me. So, I didn't bother protecting them.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk