Quantcast

Undertale

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by SLTE, Jan 12, 2016.

1. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

Has anyone tried the latest indie wonder of the RPG world yet? What did you think? Does it live up to the considerable hype it's cobbled together for itself, or not so much?

I liked it. My enthusiasm has dampened a bit since playing it and leaving it for a few months, but I'd still say it's fairly high on my list of good RPGs. I like the battle mechanics, and the inversion of RPG roles - and seeming chastisement for going around murdering innocent NPCs - still intrigues me. Sprites could use some work, though.

2. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

I adore Undertale. For a game made by a single person, it really impressed me. The characters are great, and the story was surprisingly deep. I will have to play it again at some point. I also LOVED the music. I can hardly believe than only one person was able to compose those tracks. I'm familiar with Toby Fox's work on Homestuck, so I was particularly looking forward to this game. It still vastly exceeded my expectations.

OP, which ending did you get? I admit, I was a little unimpressed with the neutral ending, but the true ending was probably one of the best, most satisfying endings I've played in a video game, ever.

3. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

I wanted to make a post on this rpg as well. I love the sound track. I went looking for videos on specific tracks. I also love the multiple endings. When you are fighting Sans in the pacifist run, he doesn't seem like much. If you play the game the other way, Sans is also beast! I was not expecting all those moves from him. Then you have flowey the flower. How can you take such an innocent thing and give it a cute name only to have him be a nasty creature when he reveals his true powers?

4. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

You're able to fight Sans in Pacifist mode? How? I haven't gotten around to doing a genocide run yet, but pretty much the main reason I want to is so that I can fight Sans.

5. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

The only time you see Sans in battle during Pacifist is during the final battle, and he's not really fighting you, per se. I guess it counts. Normally, though, no, he's only during the Genocide run. Have fun fighting him - he's absolutely ridiculous. Took me over a hundred tries to memorize his patterns well enough to win, I bet.

6. RumbarBrook

RumbarBrook Active Member Regular

I watched a playthrough of it before deciding to pick it up during the Winter Sale. One of my top things in any video game is music, and Undertale has a fantastic score. While I haven't beaten it yet, I know every outcome. The only thing that has hindered the game for everyone is the inevitable fanbase a game like this will come to create. It should not stop the average player from picking it up, though. It was my top "basic" indie game of 2015.

7. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove Regular

I've watched several playthroughs of the game, and it's very good! I love how deep the story goes and the way it leeches into the "real" world. Also, it's got some of the best chiptune music I've ever heard.

8. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member Regular

I myself have only completed this game once. However, I have watched through many gameplays and I have to say I adore it. For being is simplistic, it has so much replayability and has several unique features that I would agree for it to be indie game of the year.

9. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I have heard a lot of good things about the game. It is definitely worth checking out in my opinion.

10. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

I've played it like a month after it came out and I've found it amazing. The characters are funny and original, the story is really cool, the way combat works is great, and the way it handles choices and consequences is really interesting.

Some people say it's one of the best games ever made, and I get where they're coming from buuuut... no, not really. But it's really really good and it is at least one of the best games of 2015 and of the best RPG games I've ever played.

11. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I've played it and it was really great and funny too. I played on a Pacifist run and it was pretty nice ending, I couldn't handle to try the Genocide run so I watched some YouTube videos of it. I can't say it is the best RPG game I ever played but it's a good game.