Quantcast

Travel back in time

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by tinybutnotfangless, Oct 7, 2014.

1. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

Let's say all of a sudden, you traveled back in time to any time before 1990, do you think you would still be able to enjoy the gaming consoles of that time period? A list of some of those game systems would be:

- Nintendo (NES)
    - Sega Master System
    - Coleco Gemini
    - Coleco Vision
    - Atari 5200, 2600, etc
    - Magnavox Odyssey

With the gaming experience you've had up until this point, do you think you could find enjoyment playing those ancient console systems or would you end up picking up a different hobby?

2. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

Actually there was some good games back then, I remember playing Sega games when I was younger at my friend's home. Those games had really simply graphics and game play wasn't realistic at all but there were some good games at that time.

tinybutnotfangless likes this.
  3. Some of the best days of my gaming life were on the NES, SNES and Atari 2600, so yes, I would be able to enjoy gaming. Those games were made when it was a big deal to get new content, not just eye candy because the graphics weren't always that great on those systems. Now, games are about the money and who's graphics are better than everyone else's (from the developer standpoint).

tinybutnotfangless likes this.
  4. queenbee

queenbee Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed the NES games, and since they're burned into my childhood/nostalgia, I could play them endlessly; they'll always have a warm place in my heart. I've always liked the simplicity and 8-bit art style of those games anyway.

That said, I could see it being like when I tried (and failed to complete) Oblivion after Skyrim (and Oblivion's graphics weren't even that bad).

5. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Well-Known Member

Most definitely I would. I still play my NES every now and again so I wouldnt mind it too much athough if I go back knowing what I know it will be a little difficult to wrap my head around the games themselves. Example spoilers and or mechanics that I never liked.

6. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

There are a few games I could put 50 hours or more into from those old consoles. ;]

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer Well-Known Member

Yes I can actually but it takes some getting used to. The real bummer back then is that you can't play a game without getting pissed off. Almost every game back in the 90's are just ruthless when it comes to difficulty compared to games of today where you can finish a whole game without dying.

8. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, I would enjoy playing some of the games in those systems. There are lots of addicting action and platform games in those old consoles to keep me happy for a while. However, I don't think that I'd be entertained by any of the RPGs in any of the consoles that you have mentioned. RPGs in those days all had crap story lines. I would get bored in no time.

9. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

There some games of that era that are interesting and also, would be good to go back and revisit some games which were great like Sonic and the Lion King. I think that some games were good and some should have been made better with graphics and also stories as well. That era was the time when people got into the games, and was really interesting and some good action and adventure games were made as well.

10. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

Some of the best games of all time were made for the SNES. Even at today`s standards, classics like Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG or Earthbound are still among the best games ever made. I regularly replay them on emulators myself and have as much fun with them, as I did decades ago.

11. arghyadeep

arghyadeep Member

If I travel back in time and get back around 1990 then I would make myself busy in playing the classical games on gaming consoles of that time. Playing games is my favorite hobby and I can never replace it with any other hobby even if I travel back in time.

I have always liked to play on old Nintendo consoles and Sega Master System games.

12. Athilea

Athilea Well-Known Member

Considering that there were quite a few good games from that time frame that I really enjoyed, yes I think I would be happy enough with the consoles from that time frame. There were a lot of games from that time frame that really started the RPG stuff.

13. Obi

Obi Well-Known Member

I was born way after these consoles, and I genuinely worry about whether or not I'd enjoy them. I like to think of myself as a gamer, but I can barely get past a good PS2 game without giving up because of bad graphics, it makes me feel like a kid rather than a game lover.

14. Well, even though I was born after most of those consoles were done with I think I could live with them. Mainly because my step-dad kept a lot of his consoles over the years and they're just all there in the gaming room. I tend to stick with sega consoles and the NES. The atari is pretty fun too, but we don't have a whole lot of games for that. Although I do think if I was transported into that time I'd be super bored out of my mind without my precious internet.

15. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I already play these old consoles (with the exception of Atari) via emulators, so there is no reason for me to go back in time. This is especially important since I have a lot of SNES roms with more than half of them being translated. I wouldn't be able to play them in the past since I wouldn't be able to read Japanese.

16. cassidy

cassidy Member

It could be nostalgia-induced bias, but I would definitely enjoy playing at least some of these old games. Heck, some of them I consider to be way better than anything the modern game industry has to offer, although like I said, this could be an illusion of mine, filtered through the good memories of the good ol' days. Staying within the bounds of this illusion however, the answer is a resounding YEP!

17. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member Regular

Oh man I think I wouldn't be so happy back then as I am really attached to my xbox and playstation right now. I play a lot of AC and Halo. I remember my parents playing the black and white ping pong and tetris in our old Atari and I don't know how we enjoyed it back then.

18. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

You are definitely not wrong about the fact that many good oldschool games are much better then a ton of triple A titles nowadays. Back then, it was all about story and immersion, because we didn`t have the tech for cutting edge graphics. Nowadays, all they do is make a game look gorgeous, but without any essence.

19. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I used to play old or retro games when I was a kid. This will be a nostalgia trip for me but of course there will be diappointment because of the graphics.

20. Gamepreneur

Gamepreneur Well-Known Member Regular

In my opinion, in the early 90's and 2000's they offered a better selection of RPG games at least if you consider the story-line and game-play feel of it. The graphics were rather depressing back then, but it would be worth it to play them right as they came out and remember the excitement I had when I was younger. Unfortunately, the lack of games I am already familiar with would only bring me ultimate disappointment!