Too Late To Get Into Minecraft?

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by xilezaturo, Jul 3, 2014.

1. xilezaturo

xilezaturo Member

To be honest, I don't think I've ever actually tried Minecraft. I have seen many videos and know that it's a really popular "game". I'm not a big content creating person, but is there anything in the MMO that would get me into the game? For example, I've seen videos of people fighting zombies and doing FPS type combat, but is that actually part of the game? At first - I thought that Minecraft would be more like Gary's Mod or some kind of seamless sandbox, but it looks like there is more to it.

2. Burt Povski

Burt Povski Well-Known Member

I don't think that it's too late. Sure you missed the beta experiences and all, but the game is still pretty good! I'd recommend going for it. I've played the game since Alpha and I've watched it grow a lot, and it's still growing in a good way!

3. xilezaturo

xilezaturo Member

Is there a free server? Last I remember were the paid servers, but I have seen official servers on torrent sites. I'm not even sure which version to find. I don't want to download the wrong thing and miss out on the updates. Is it actually considered an MMO or just a giant sandbox with multiplayer functions?

4. insertkittyface

insertkittyface Well-Known Member

Nah, it's never to late to get into Minecraft, the game is still growing and they're going to continue to add things into the game (You can read about the upcoming features here: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_features) I personally have been playing for about a year, and there have been new mobs added and a bunch of other things. Just give it a try! There are a bunch of free PvP/Creative servers out there too, just search Google for them.

5. mrmatthew2k

mrmatthew2k Active Member

It is fun to play the game in early stages and watch the game evolve, but it's never to late to get into minecraft. Just read a few basic tutorials and jump into a survival world. From there your interest should increase and you won't be able to stop Google how things work. If you can't seem to get interested, it might be time to play with a friend or try a new game.

6. johnnear

johnnear Well-Known Member

Now man, unless it's an online game, there is no 'late' when it comes to playing games. Even though a game has been out for decades, it's still okay to play and experience. The purpose of these games are for entertainment not just for a 'what's in' type of thing. You're never too late when it comes to playing any video games

7. Reeyuru

Reeyuru Well-Known Member

There's really no benefit of joining the game when it was brand new or now, when it's huge and has tons of more content. Even if you like previous patches more there are ways you can revert to how the game used to be. Well, probably the only benefit was that you had a bigger chance of making a youtube channel about the game. There's too many of those now, and you probably won't get noticed.

But anyways, you can jump in at any time. The game is a lot of fun and there are mods for pretty much everything, so if you see something you like you can probably just grab a mod for it.

8. Momonchi

Momonchi Member

I'm a fairly new player to Minecraft, having started around 3 months ago when my friend gifted me a license. I'd been interested in it for years but was always busy playing other games so I hadn't taken the plunge yet.

I have to say... I absolutely LOVE it! I've already spend probably close to around 100 hours on Minecraft, whether I'm playing in creative mode or playing on a RPG-style online server.

The game is what you make of it, so I'm never bored. Strip mining is fairly monotonous but if I'm tired and still wanting to play a video game without much engagement I find it quite relaxing. Otherwise, I spend most of my time adventuring, gathering supplies to decorate my various houses and castles, and of course building epic structures!

9. misterv520

misterv520 Member

My advice is have a friend teach you the basics. There is a huge learning curve and lots to look-up/remember so a veteran of the game will make the learning process less painful and more enjoyable. Also minecraft is usually always more fun with other people. That's my two cents.

10. calebmelvern

calebmelvern Well-Known Member

It's never too late man. I started playing Minecraft just about three months ago. Fortunately for me, I have friends who were already playing the game so they taught me the basics. You'll enjoy the game more if you play with your real friends. I suggest you give Minecraft a shot.

11. xilezaturo

xilezaturo Member

I was just worried about the whole "experiencing nostalgia" factor. If I get into a game after it has lost it's fanbase it doesn't feel the same. I'm probably just over-thinking it. I just hope I don't get put off by the game over something so small. I don't know any people who play.

12. Jacobr5000

Jacobr5000 Member

First of all, don't torrent the game. It's going to be a waste of your time. Support the devs, it's not that expensive. Here is how Minecraft's multiplayer/singleplayer features work:

Minecraft has a singleplayer option where you survive on your own world by yourself (aside from a few NPCs) against zombies, spiders, creepers, etc, while building a base, mining for better supplies, etc.

Minecraft also has a multiplayer function. 99% of the servers you will find do not require you to pay a single penny. There are usually options to buy things in game with real money, but you are not required. If you never want to spend another penny after you have bought the game, you don't have to. If you don't like one server, join another one. There are so many different types of servers to choose from.

As for your question "Is Minecraft an MMO?", no, it is not. It is an RPG, which is why it is under the RPG section of this forum. You can play online with tens, hundreds, even thousands of people if you wish, but I would still classify Minecraft in general as an RPG. Also, I don't see Minecraft's fanbase going anywhere anytime soon.

13. GoodReplays

GoodReplays Member

It is never too late to get into Minecraft. Sure, it may be hard to understand all the mechanics if you have never played a game similar to it, but I am sure you will be able to rejoice and play Minecraft. Besides, I am sure there are plenty of helpful tutorials on Youtube!

14. Fritan

Fritan Member

Nope, not too late at all... In fact, I tend to play for a couple weeks every 6 months. It's fun because the developers are constantly updating the content, so every time I hope back into the game, there is something new to explore.

15. Whitewolf2578

Whitewolf2578 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I myself got into Minecraft late. My friends would always play it and I was like "That looks like a game for nerds and young kids." boy was I wrong, the moment I actually played Minecraft I was hooked for life, I should have taken the advice "Never judge a book by its cover" because I just love it. You pay once for an account and then you have it for life.

16. Derrick

Derrick Active Member

I don't think its late at all. Minecraft is still receiving high content from the creators. Most of these updates will contain new biomes, bux fixes, and mobs.

17. wvboarder

wvboarder Well-Known Member

NEVER! I still have friends that are starting now. Not to mention you have so many options on how to play from your PC, phone, or Xbox. I don't think it's getting less popular at all. I feel like MC will be around for a long time;

18. luigi

luigi Member

It's never too late to start anything, even if the same was 30 years old.

Luckily, Minecraft is an ever-growing game. They are including more and more stuff with each update, so it has a brand new experience each time. I think that's a key part in Minecraft. We never get bored of it, and if we do, we can always come back later to see what updates are installed to get us back in the groove.

For me, Minecraft is definitely more of a sandbox game. I think it has something to offer for anyone. If you like the combat system, they give you the option. Want multiplayer mini-games? We have people working on that, too. Just wanna build stuff like you did with Legos? That's there, too.

19. zuulspaceman

zuulspaceman Member

It's not that late in the game's life to still enjoy it if you ask me. I got into it kind of early, quit for a while, and then came back when it came out on XBox 360. That may be a good place to start, because it's a little more limited but they have a decent tutorial. Plus it's cheap, and you can play it from the couch!

20. aeferd2

aeferd2 Member

Never's too late. The game isn't too hard to learn how to play and I had a friend get into it recently without any issue. The game used to be much simpler back in alpha and beta so it was much simpler to learn but it's not very hard now. Don't be discouraged!