Tips for beginners

Discussion in 'Heroes of the Storm' started by kaiiren, Mar 22, 2016.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

For me the change has been really fast in HoTS. At first I played almost exclusively with a couple of heroes, guess they were new and exciting too and I was still learning new stuff all the time.

Now with a few months of playing the game, I feel like I need some change. I rarely play more than 2-3 matches in a row as the same hero nowadays.

2. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Back when I was more competitive, I would stick to one hero for long stretches of time. I would really try to master a hero and really try to play at a high level. Now I will play with various heroes.

3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's all about practice, when it comes to MOBA games. Not just HotS, League, Dota, they're all the same really, since there are lots lots heroes with specific item builds, you have to really obsess with the game, reading guides online with each hero, reading the functions of each item in the game, watching other people play, especially in tournaments, practicing with AI at first, then when you get confident enough, you try online gaming, and if you get really good, you have to show ranked who's boss.

4. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member
    Regular

You can't go wrong with practice. Just playing the game is all you need to get the basics down. Then you can look at guides and videos for more advanced tactics and gameplay.

5. Sworden

Sworden Well-Known Member
    Regular

One tip I feel is super important, is that when the enemy team groups, you group up too. It doesnt matter if the 4 other team mates on your team are making a mistake and are going to the wrong objective, you not being there will get both you and your team mates killed.

Of course if you're a split pushing champ like sylvannas, then thats a different strategy.

6. ADE001

ADE001 Member
    Regular

That's a very good one. It often happens one of your team mates thinks they know better and maybe they do know better. But your team will be in that 4vs5 situation which you'll most likely lose or the 5 opponents run into the single team mate (or you) who think they know better. Some more tips and know how:
    • Get all heroes to level 5 for extra gold and to understand what you are up against. If that is too time consuming get a basic idea of all the popular hero ultimates as they can be game deciders.
    • Destroying a fort makes your minions in that lane stronger. Both forts down will add a catapult to your minion wave. Therefor it sometimes pays off to skip or be late on an objective to kill off that enemy fort with half health. Make sure you let your team mates know though.
    • Early minion waves have more exp than getting a kill, don't miss minion waves over an early enemy hero kill.
    • Don't die. I seriously never won a match with 7 or more deaths. Maybe an odd Quick Match without healer/tank, but seriously try to limit how many times you die. Play safe until you develop that gut feeling for where the enemy team may be.
    • Don't chase unless you can team wipe them. When you don't chase a low health player they will go back anyways and you can use that time you would have been chasing to do something useful instead.
    • Mix things up tactic wise if you can get your team to cooperate. For example many maps have 1 lane that is further away from the other two, have a good solo hero cover the furthest lane and have the other 4 players rotate those two lanes and gank enemy heroes. Rotate instead of the basic 2-2-1 pre 10 tactic.
    • Don't try to defend a fort or the boss with 1/2/3vs5. It will often result in the enemy team getting the fort/boss AND 1/2/3 kills instead of just the fort/boss. Just give it up, retreat. Live to fight another day.
    • Reduce your 'travel' time. The best players maximize their dmg/healing output by always traveling to the closest lanes and objectives. They top the charts because they are always hitting something, even with just auto attacks. If you can spare a second or two, drop your attacks on that minion wave you are passing by. If you are constantly responding to the enemy team and spent a lot of time on your mount, you are doing something wrong.

7. Sworden

Sworden Well-Known Member
    Regular

^ those are all some really good tips, especially the 'Don't die' tip and that during the start, its better to just go for minion kills.

I remember many times where we would have a tought fight at mid, we would win and get first blood, yet the enemy hero would come back super fast (as it's the beginning of the game) and then get an easy kill on us. This was especially annoying on the Diablo map, as we would often lose the immortal.

I also didn't know about the fort thing, though now that I think about it, it does make sense, especially as there is no obvious 'inhibitor' in Hots.

8. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

A big thing to remember is to make sure there is always someone in one of the lanes to get the EXP from the minions, getting as much EXP as you can from the early stages of the match before fights break out is very important.

9. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member
    Regular

It can't be stressed enough but each map's objective isn't just a side thing to do, it is going to determine whether you lose or win the game based on how your team reacts to playing around it.

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

This is a great tip. It took me ages to figure out where the catapults came from! And yes, they are really a game changer as with the catapult the minions will push the lane on their own, slowly but surely.

So yeah, if you are playing with a hero that can take down forts well it's often worth it to see if you can take down that second fort.

11. thisnthat

thisnthat Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think you hit the nail on the head, and not just with HotS. I don't think it's fun to go from feeling like a high end player to newb. That's what's often kept me from starting new games (and one of the things I hate about new xpacs in WoW when you have to relearn your entire class, etc. every time). I think a lot of people tend to like what they know.

HotS sounds like it might be fun. I haven't played, but I like the idea, if people actually meet the objectives.

12. tony

tony Well-Known Member
    Regular

Fine tips for beginners, A highly welcome thread. Thank you for sharing to help the new beginners.

13. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am pretty sure that we all can appreciate what it feels like to be a beginner in the sea of others who are more experienced, so I second the thanks seen throughout.

14. tony

tony Well-Known Member
    Regular

As a beginner there is always the thinking will I be accepted here as in my contributions. Again there is the fear of survival, the good thing is once you start out gradually you get used to how things go on the forum.

15. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I wish I just go back and be a beginner most of the time. Something about it seems more exciting and like it might reignite something lost.

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Well-Known Member
    Regular

These tips really are great for beginners. If I had read them some time ago I would not have "suffered" so much until I got the rhythm of the game. When you are a beginner, everything seems difficult.

Thank you for sharing these tips. Very useful.

17. Working Buck

Working Buck Well-Known Member
    Regular

I haven't played this game before but what I just read is something I haven't seen from other MOBA games before. I mean we didn't have such relics way back when I was still playing DoTA. I am playing League right now but the community sucks. I would check this game out, and if it is quite good, I might play it. Thanks for the tip.

18. clair02

clair02 Active Member
    Regular

I am one of those people who suffered through a whole lot of frustration when I was first beginning to play this game, but now that I've gone past the learning curve, I find it all so much easier and these kind of tips would have come in very handy had I had them when I first started.

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Well-Known Member
    Regular

You were not the first and certainly will not be the last (and this is the best News, right? :D). I think it's a rule: all beginners should suffer a little before they learn. :rolleyes:

20. Haroon

Haroon Active Member
    Regular

I have not played this game yet but it looks very interesting.All of your tips are very amazing and I will try to learn more about different tips.I will use all of your skill tips to improve myself while playing this amazing game.I am sure that I will not get bored by playing this game with these tips.