Tips for beginners

Discussion in 'Heroes of the Storm' started by kaiiren, Mar 22, 2016.

1. kaiiren

kaiiren Member
    Regular

Post tips for beginners here. I'll start by listing my tip for any beginner to HotS:

Protip: Map objectives matter *a ton*. Know that whatever the main objective of the map is, you're best playing to fulfill that objective, at least in the early and mid-game. For instance, in one map, a relic spawns that, if captured, puts creeps at 1hp and makes towers not fire anymore for a full minute. Capturing this relic is SUPER important and outweighs anything else you could be doing in early/mid game. Pushing a lane or conducting a gank when you could be capturing a relic means that you're too conditioned by other MOBAs and need to break out of that mindset to succeed.

Bunnyriffic likes this.
  2. softonic

softonic Member
    Regular

Thank you for this topic. Probably I will be playing this game soon, thanks for instructions!

3. Cloud

Cloud Member
    Regular

How dissimilar is HotS to League? All of my experience of it has been from hearing of burned-out League players/streamers seeking a different MOBA to try, then returning to League after their motivation returned.

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

It really is difficult to shift sometimes because you have to do so much research and also not to mention you already have an emotional connection with the previous game you are used to. I think the only good reason people can completely shift is when the new game is really that much far superior but if it's just equally fun then there's not much motivation to move to a new game.

5. Cloud

Cloud Member
    Regular

Yeah, I don't think that I hate League that much that I'll switch. I'm a little sick of MOBAs in general to be honest. I still have a few good friends to play with on League, even though most of them either stopped playing regularly or stopped altogether. I don't think I'm ready to make the switch yet.

6. GenevB

GenevB Well-Known Member
    Regular

Thank you for the tips, I just started playing out this game and I always loved to have an idea of what I should do before I actually have to do it in the game, I've always loved to be 2 steps up in front of the game.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah this is a big thing... always go after the objective unless it's a desperate situation in which you simply cannot win and your time would be better spent doing something else. Ssuch as 3 of your guys are dead... you won't win 2vs5... so might as well destroy those couple of towers from the other side.

Another great tip would be to know when to start moving as a team. In the early phases it's fine for you to be alone but at later levels, generally when the last skill becomes available then you will die fast if you are alone.

8. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

One tip I could give is: Try to learn all the abilities of all heroes. This is what I usually do with all games I play. It's important to get to know the enemy beforehand so you can better defeat them. If you know his or her skills, you know what to do with the enemy.

Use the tab button so you can take a look at what skills the enemy used. This is important for you to have a leverage in the game.

Good luck!

9. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think the most tiring thing about MOBAs is that they are multiplayer so you constantly have to worry about being in a team whereas in single player games you only need to rely on yourself. Also there is tons of research needed to be successful in MOBAs so I understand that you feel burnt out as I also feel that every few months. The sad thing is whenever I stop I need to do lots of research to get back into the groove again when I start back up again lol.

10. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well that is normal because of expertise. In LOL, you have a ton of knowledge, you know all the strengths and weaknesses of different heroes. IN HOTS, you are starting over and do not have an advantage over new players. You will be taken by surpise by an ability of other heroes, you won´t know the fastest way to win a map objective etc.

a lot of people do not like going from expert to newbie again so return to their original game. I think HOTS is a better game overall.

11. userbutnotloser

userbutnotloser Well-Known Member
    Regular

Thank you for your tips it really helped me a lot to give my best performance and I was quite nervous but it motivates me to give my best shot. The tips worked well.

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, if you played any RTS game before it's definitely easier, I guess play as much as possible to build up your reflexes and learn the champion you play thoroughly. Use its skills to your advantage.

13. crimsonghost747

Regular

You have the hero spotlights, which are great for learning the abilities that each hero uses. These can be found on their own youtube channel. (can't post links for some reason) This is of course important to know because you want to know what the enemy hero is capable of doing. You will of course eventually learn these while playing.

14. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Well-Known Member
    Regular

Thank you a lot of your post it really means a lot and I have played many more RTS games in the past so that should help me I guess, I'm just getting into the game properly and I just wanted to know a few tips and this post came in handy. Thanks a lot.

15. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member
    Regular

The objectives definitely matter, unlike some other games. I kind of like that the objectives matter because it gives you a sense of purpose. Some other games that I won't mention, it just feels like a free for all. It's like why do they even put the objectives in if they are pointless.

16. erook7878

Regular

This is time consuming, but well worth it. Nothing improves my game more than playing with other heroes and understanding what their skill set and negatives are. The worst thing you can do is just play strictly with one hero.

17. erook7878

Regular

They are pretty similar, insofar as they are both MOBAs. The biggest difference will be learning a new game. Getting used to the new characters and maps will feel like a whole new thing.

18. obliviousme

obliviousme Well-Known Member
    Regular

Nice thread! Thanks for the tips i'm sure this will come in handy!

19. crimsonghost747

Regular

While I usually play a lot with only a couple of heroes, I do get bored of them pretty fast and feel like it's time to try other ones. The free rotation is great since you'll often have a few ones to try that you haven't played with for ages.

20. erook7878

Regular

I've dealt with the same thing as I've gotten older. When I was younger, I could just play with the same hero for a while. I think my attention span has declined over the years. I'll get bored of a character too and will change it up for that reason as well.