Quantcast

The return of isometric RPGs.

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Oblivious, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Oblivious

Oblivious Well-Known Member Regular

Have you played Wasteland 2 and/or Pillars of Eternity? What did you like/dislike about them? (game mechanics, character development, story etc.)
    Please refrain from posting huge spoilers as I have not finished them yet. Gracias. :p

2. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I just started playing Wasteland 2 and I like how the game reminds me so much of the original Fallout (unless it's intentional) but the game does have a bit of a learning curve. Though that could just be me sucking at the game since I spend a hour or so at a time paying it on my off hours due to me playing a few games in rotation.

3. rzbh

rzbh Active Member

Back then, I dislike I can't see because I keep getting blocked by the wall. Yeah, I know they transparent it, but it is still annoying. Also, sometimes the game don't understand when I click an enemy, I mean 'shot at him' not 'close then shot at him'.

Wasteland 2 and PoE sounds interesting, but it is kinda expensive. Is it really worth it, though?

4. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Spoiler Alert: Everyone and everything blows up and dies in the end. I'm completely lying, and I apologize if that's the truth. I've been meaning to play Wasteland 2!

5. Oblivious

Haha well.. I'll provide you with a spoiler that isn't so much a spoiler, story-wise.
    there's a button in an area in Wasteland 2, if you decide to press it it's game over as there is a huge detonation that obliterates everything. I appreciate them giving us the opportunity to press that button though :p

Wasteland 2 is a brilliant game. You make choices that matter, you can create your own team, there's a lot of exploration, you have to think when you level up your characters and there's a lot of freedom.
    It's a relatively difficult game though.

6. rzbh

rzbh Active Member

Of course it is. It is modeled after classic game. If it is easy, I'll be disappointed.

Hmm, probably should bug my friend to lend me his copy and see if I like it.

7. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

I don't mind it. It's just another perspective. The only issues I have with isometric games is the camera angle and the potential obstruction of the view point. In some games, the view point is so poorly tested, that sometimes a building would block the view of vital details. Developers should make it an option to see through non-essential structures, maybe even let us rotate and zoom in.

8. Oblivious

Well, you can rotate and zoom freely in Wasteland 2, so there's really no obstruction for the most part.

When it comes to Pillars of Eternity, you can zoom but you can't rotate. It still works well though and more often than not you can distinguish what is going on, where your enemies are, where you're attacking etc. You'll be better off not zooming in most cases anyway.