Quantcast

The Numbers Issue

Discussion in 'The Division' started by troutski, May 4, 2015.

1. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

From the gameplay trailer, a lot of people didn't like that numbers popped on enemies' heads when they were shot. The visual makes sense as an RPG element, but others say it takes away from the realism of the game. What are your thoughts?

2. andkno

andkno Member

They should make it a option that you can turn on or off, I really don't mind the numbers showing in there, but if people don't like it, they should be able to turn the option of.

3. Kesh

Kesh Member

I think people are just antsy, and nitpicking at whatever they can. People love to hate games and game developers, and I think this is a good example of that. Would removing the floating text add realism to a game that's supposed to be about survival? Absolutely. However, I still think it's less about whether there are floating numbers or not, but more about gamers finding something to bitch about.

4. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

I bet you can turn that off in the game easily. But people that play these kinds of games just love that stuff, that's why it's there. They just love to see how much damage they're doing to an enemy, and to see that it is quantifiable. But yeah, it's kind of a nitpick like Kesh said.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

That is a feature that League of Legends has but it actually fits there. Showing the damage number can actually be deceiving and make you lose focus.

6. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

I'm fine with damage counts popping up, but I'm also a roleplayer at heart, so it wouldn't bother me in any context. No doubt the game will have some way to shut the numbers off, as I'm pretty sure most modern RPG-shooters - Mass Effect, for example - allowed you to do the same. (There were floating numbers in Mass Effect, right? I'm not misremembering?)

Even if that's not a feature, I bet it will be within a month or two after release. And somebody will mod it into the PC version within a week of release.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

If there isn't an option to turn it off then there will surely be a mod for PC who will be capable of doing that. That's why I love PCs, every problem is easily solvable and there's a big community.

8. Amazon XD

Amazon XD Member

That's a simple display fix. I do like that the damage numbers pop up though. I like to see my damage in real time. :D

9. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, a simple disable feature will keep everyone happy!

10. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

The numbers on the display don't bother me at all. I always figured that it was the HUD I would see if I was wearing the high-tech gear that my character is wearing, so I can give it an easy "roleplay" reason to appear.

As others said, there's usually an option to remove it, but I can't think of the last time I did that. As you mentioned above my fellow poster SLTE (sorry I can't tag you), I'm pretty sure Mass Effect had that option. I tried it for 2 minutes set to disabled before putting it back on. I like seeing the overhead info on my enemies, it doesn't take me out of the experience in the least.

11. Codygr89

Codygr89 Member

Why would anyone complain about the numbers? Though the numbers seem to be pointless since you don't know the total anyway?

12. Cyborg Superman

Some people feel that it takes them out of the game when they see floating numbers over an enemy. I can kind of see it, if you're trying to "play a movie" or something along those lines.

The point of the numbers isn't so much about knowing how much life there's left but how much damage you're dishing out. If you're unloading and you see some 1's pop-up, you know you probably should high-tail it out of there. I don't remember but there may also be some kind of life bar as well, I'd have to check the video again.

13. Ishmael

Yeah, there's also a life bar when you aim at an enemy. So numbers may be redundant to some people. I'll probably disable the numbers if there's a chance. But if you can't I won't complain, the game is probably designed around it.

14. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member Regular

I guess it depends on personal preference. I don't mind it, but I think they should have an option in settings to leave it there or take it off if somebody doesn't like it. It shouldn't be that big of a deal though either way.

15. Ishmael

Yeah I bet there are even people who would like to have the entire UI off just to look at the pretty scenery. I hope they will allow for that too.

16. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Well-Known Member Regular

I don't like it personally, it affects my immersion and isn't realistic. I can't believe that they will not have an option for removing the numbers. I'm a minimal UI kind of guy and the less 'stuff' thats on the screen the better I will enjoy the game. There are so many unknowns about what options will be customizable or not, I can't wait until the testing begins so we can find out what we can change.

17. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member Regular

I don't really mind the numbers at all. Borderlands used it and it never bothered me. I still hope they add an option to turn it off though.

18. Cyborg Superman

That's a good point, I'd even forgotten that Borderlands has numbers popping up so that goes to show how intrusive they are.

19. Nasim J

Nasim J Active Member Regular

It should just be an option to turn it on and off, while I get why it's there I think it'd get annoying real quick if it didn't have a way to turn off. While it's a cool idea, it should be an option :S

20. Celerian

Celerian Well-Known Member Regular

Allow it to be turned off, ez.