The last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV & Music' started by Luster, May 4, 2011.

1. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Some of the more notable recent Polish films I've watched:

Bogowie (2014) - Film about the first heart transplant performed in Poland (at the time called Polish People's Republic), though mostly about the doctor who performed it and his unique spitfire attitude. Very well-made movie with powerful acting and it doesn't seem to be pushing any silly "patriotic" agenda, unlike many other contemporary Polish productions. Overall, one of the best films made in Poland in recent years.

Ida (2013) - A tale about a young woman who was raised in a convent and prepares to become a nun in postwar Poland, only to find out that she is in fact Jewish and her parents were murdered during the war. What surprised me the most was how well the film presents people from all walks of life as humans rather than heroes or villains. It also deals with a touchy and controversial topic that requires more discussion considering how anti-Semitic Poland is at the moment. Moreover, it's just a really nicely shot art film with good acting. Although I think the Academy Awards aren't anything special in particular, this film did win an Oscar for the best foreign production. Though I think someone who wasn't born and raised in Poland would have a difficult time understanding some of its themes.

Wałęsa. Człowiek z nadziei (2013) - This one is quite politically motivated in that it obviously favours the West and doesn't really consider that the collapse of the Eastern Bloc wasn't a one-sided event with only one possible interpretation. However, I have to say this film is also well directed and was fairly pleasant to watch. It achieves what it sets out to do fairly nicely: portraying one of the leaders, who sold Poland from one empire into the hands of another, as a relatable human being. Oh yeah, and it has a brilliant soundtrack made up of some good old Polish punk and some rock.

#681 Bamul, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015
  2. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

The Divide: A pre/post-apocalyptic movie that take place in the U.S.. A group of people are surviving in a apartment complex's basement and stick it out until the radiation is gone or until they are found and rescued. People begin acting crazy. I actually didn't enjoy the movie as much as I had hoped.
    1.5 out of 5 stars

A knights tale: A comedy/action movie set in the medieval age.
    5 out of 5 stars

The Last Stand: A movie, with Arnold Schwarzenegger, as a small town sheriff. He must defend the border, on which his town sits on, as a drug cartel lord tries to pass through it -killing anyone who stands in his path.
    4 out of 5 stars

3. Skaara Dreadlocks

Post apocalyptic movies are pretty much boring and not so enjoyable, other than the ones we already know of that we have already watched. There aren't any good post-apocalyptic movies out there that we haven't heard of :p

I might watch "A knight's tale", it sounds good, especially because you rated it 5/5 :D

I've watched The Last Stand before, it's pretty hilarious :lol: But in all honesty, without Arnold it would have been just another okay action-comedy.

I just watched Northmen: A Viking Saga. I really don't wanna explain the lore as it might spoil the whole story. It had very good actors IMO, but there were many moments where I'd go "What magic box did he pull that out of?", and a lot of typical unoriginal scenes and happenings, like a guy losing his grip when they're climbing, and another catches him as if he weighed 10kg even though he was a big viking. But I got really attached to the characters (especially the woman who looked just like a specific beautiful girl that I've seen at the medieval festival all three years I've been there, wearing almost the same dress as her :lol:). The fighting scenes were decent, but they too were ruined by the flickering rapid camera-movement, just like in every other movie. The lore itself was exciting, but nothing new: A long-lasting chase.

7/10.
    [​IMG]

#683 Skaara Dreadlocks, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  4. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

I watched Northmen: A Viking Saga recently and found it to be pretty bad, at times I wondered if it was actually a parody movie because of the hilariously cliche moments. Also the main character acting was pretty bad IMO, although the rest was alright. I'd probably give it a 3/10 to be honest :eek:hwell:

5. NuclearWastE3

Regular

True that ;). Speaking of post apocalyptic movies, I watched an Australian pre-post apocalyptic movie called "These Final Hours." Like you said, there aren't any out there, that this community is't familiar with, that are really worth watching. It was all right. It's centered around this one guy -living in Australia when the entire world is in sight of sure death- who encounters a young girl and decides to help find her father before the end of the world happens.
    2.5/5
    Yep, it was quite good :). Remember when I once posted a video, with a guy giving some dramatic introductions, and I said you should have a guy, like that, follow you around the Medieval Fair :D? Well, that was taken from scenes from "A Knight's Tale."
    yup.
    I'd like to watch it. Especially since there's moments of 10kg falling vikings and, as Darkbringer states as 'hilariously cliche moments.'

6. Skaara Dreadlocks

As a movie, I guess you're right it does deserve that low rating. But I personally enjoyed it because I'm very interested in Vikings/Medieval movies, so there's that :p

Yeah, I expected exactly that :p

7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Delicatessen - I really, really, really liked this film. It's a black comedy set in post-apocalyptic France. The setting and the characters make this a brilliantly entertaining movie to watch with a unique atmosphere. It was directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the guy who did La cité des enfants perdus (The City of Lost Children), Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amélie) and Alien: Resurrection. I don't know if there is an English dubbed version, but as is usually the case with foreign language films, I recommend watching the version with original audio and subtitles.

8. Skaara Dreadlocks

I was pretty sure I got the wrong movie when I found this trailer :lol:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=Tg3V8HDK5go[/YOUTUBE]

9. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Nope, that's the right one! :p I actually think this is a great trailer because it is vague and doesn't spoil anything about the movie, yet at the same time shows you that the film is not a very serious one. So, thanks to that, you go in not really knowing what to expect. Nowadays it's very popular to do the exact opposite - especially with Hollywood blockbusters and such big-budget productions - by releasing trailers that show way too many scenes and spoil quite a lot, giving you too much visual info about the movie.

#689 Bamul, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
  10. Skaara Dreadlocks

Watched the good ol' "Predator" from 1990 with Arnold Schwarzenegger. "Get to the choppaaah!"
    I really don't think it deserves a good rating, but I still like it so much that I can't rate it :D

11. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Predator hit the theaters in 1987. :p It is a classic and I absolutely love Yautja, but I agree that although the first (or second... or third) movie isn't particularly deep - they're still pretty awesome. Plus the effects were pretty nice for their time, even though the cloaked Predator will always look a bit cheap in my eyes.

12. Skaara Dreadlocks

Strange, I have a Special Edition DVD of the movie, and it says the production year is 1990.
    Indeed, they are awesome. Predators must be my favorite alien/monster characters of all time. In junior high, a task was to make a facemask, any kind of facemask, and I made a Predator mask. 'Twas nothing big, but it was decent :lol:
    In the special edition there's a second DVD with behind-the-scenes filming, and one "chapter" is about how they made the cloaked predator. They actually used a guy covered in a bright red/orange suit, and pulled him around in the jungle with wires :D

13. NuclearWastE3

Regular

In my opinion, the first Predator movie is damn awesome :D. I love it. Just the opening shot, where the helicopter is coming in and that Schwarzenegger testosterone filled music kicks in, it is just perfection. That's how every movie should start out. I wish movies were still made like they were back in the day *sigh*. I remember, when I first watched this movie when I was fairly young, and the next day, when I went to school, I told my friends I had Predator vision :laugh:. They too later decided to watch Predator and we all would then play a dumb-little-kid's game of Predator vs Marines tag during lunch.

-----------------------------
    Last two movies that I watched were:

The Crazies (1973): This movie sucked. I have to say that this is probably the first movie, that I watched, where the re-make is better than the original. 1/10 stars

Jupiter Ascending: This movie blows. A ton of expensive special effects were used ( I bet the director spent billions of dollars in making this movie) but I was completely board throughout the entire thing. Just don't watch it. 0/10 stars

14. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I watched The Crazies at some point, but it was very long ago so I don't remember much... I think I didn't find it as bad as you did, but I do recall it was quite funny and definitely not a great film. :p

15. Skaara Dreadlocks

Haha, sound like something my friends and I would do at elementary school :D

The song is "Long Tall Sally" by Little Richard. I have it in my Mafia2 playlist in Spotify and have had it for a looong while, so I believe it is in Mafia2. I've played that song on every dancefloor I've ever been to, since. :D
    "Bunch o' slack-jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus! ..Just like me" must be the best quote in the whole movie, aside from the famous "Get to da choppah" :D
    Warning, contains spoilers:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=NrDG4sPul8w[/YOUTUBE]

Third place: "I ain't got time to bleed" :lol:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=K63AVSCPcSI[/YOUTUBE]

#695 Skaara Dreadlocks, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  16. NuclearWastE3

Regular

There were a few times that I had to laugh just because the acting was so bad. For example, there was one part where an entire group of armed military personnel got overrun by peasants using nothing more than kitchen appliances. Once all the military people were dealt with, this lady, caring a broom, comes walking, toward the camera, and begins sweeping the ground where all the dead people are xD. Also, every time someone was shot and killed, they over exaggerated their deaths by twirling around and jumping into the air -when, in fact, they were shot in the head.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that scene! That song is great and I I do remember in from mafia II :D. Though, the one I was talking about was the one right from the beginning (the theme song I guess):

[YOUTUBE]1oj7o796Z_M[/YOUTUBE]

They're both great, and they basically play back-to-back in the movie.

Also, I found this:
    [YOUTUBE]fp9DHzgr758[/YOUTUBE]

#696 NuclearWastE3, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  17. [YOUTUBE]he21BE70f1Y[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0MewcONBKSo[/YOUTUBE]

18. Skaara Dreadlocks

Haha, I love that theme song. I hummed to it every time I watched the movie.
    Also seen that video on youtube several times :lol:

Yesterday I watched Apocalypto because it had 4 out of 5 start on AppleTV. It's about the Mayans being enslaved by the Aztecs. It had main characters and a gripping story, so it wasn't uninteresting, but it was a bit too violent for my taste. At first the violence was mostly dramatic and made it seem very awful and real, but eventually it just became unnecessarily detailed and exaggerated. 5/10.

19. Skaara Dreadlocks

Elysium. I've seen it on TV twice, but never got it completely from the start. Pretty cool movie with a pretty original storyline. I don't want to rate this movie on a "professional" level, 'cause it might not actually be that good, but I really enjoyed it, so I'll give it a personal rating of 6-7/10
    [YOUTUBE]?v=oIBtePb-dGY[/YOUTUBE]

Maze Runner Scorch Trials. Really really, and I say really, good movie. This is the second one. The first one was good too, but there were too many unanswered questions and a really strange ending. It was a strange movie overall. Good, but strange. The second one was wayyy better. I actually recommend this movie specifically to all of you on this forum, because of the heavy apocalyptic factors in it, despite it being a Sci-fi movie. Great pulse-pumping chase scenes, great scenography, great storyline, alright actors. 9/10
    [YOUTUBE]?v=-44_igsZtgU[/YOUTUBE]

Outcast with Nicholas Cage and Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker).
    Yet another movie where the main character helps someone escape from an army of enemy soldiers, to get to an important place to do something important. Very unoriginal storyline, so it might not be that interesting. Other than that, it's a straight out alright movie, and I recommend it if you like movies with melee combat/sword fights/medieval. It's a tad bit more interesting than the other movies it resembles because the story takes place in Asia, so all the scenography is quite different from most other movies like it. 5/10.
    [YOUTUBE]?v=OnRuRFbpnCM[/YOUTUBE]

#699 Skaara Dreadlocks, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2015
  20. NuclearWastE3

Regular

I watched Kick-Ass 2 and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I have to say, Planet of the Apes wasn't as good as I had expected. I prefer its predecessor from 2011. It could have also been because I was tired and couldn't focus my full attention to the movie. Meh. Kick-Ass 2, in the other, was excellent. The first Kick-Ass was better, but Kick-Ass 2 was still very good. If you haven't watched either of the K-Ass movies, I suggest that you go ahead and give them a viewing. They're quite good.