Quantcast

The Ending: Did you hate it?

Discussion in 'Mass Effect' started by Chris_A, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I think Bioware made the worst mistake they could by rushing the ending the way they did. After a trilogy of awesome stories, choices and content, everything is reduced to pushing 3 different buttons and watching nearly the same cut-scene no matter what you chose. Although for me, the Extended Cut did deliver a sense of closure and things were much better explained at least, and made much more sense then the original ending. What do you think? Did the Extended Cut redeem the game a little?

2. huckfinn

huckfinn Active Member

The extended cut was definitely an improvement over the original ending, but I still think it leaves a lot to be desired. Honestly it just kind of felt like it came out of nowhere, nothing in any of the games really led up to the choice we had to make all the way at the end (at least from my experience). It just seemed like they never really had a vision from the start where they wanted the series to go, but just kind of made it up as they went along. Also, for a game that revolves around the choices you make along the way, it's kind of disappointing that all those player choices are discarded all the way at the end.

3. OmarFW

OmarFW Well-Known Member Regular

The ONLY way the ending could have been redeemed is if they had given us the ending they PROMISED and the one everyone WANTED.

That is to say, an ending that DID take in account all of the major decisions made during the course of the three games in the series, specific to your play through. What we got was something that throws away all those decisions and funnels everything down to only 3-4 endings, even with the extended cut.

I hated it, and I hated even more that Bioware specifically promised potentially hundreds of different endings because of the possibility of choices throughout the games.

They flat out lied and let EA twist and skew the ending of their series just so they could release it sooner and make more damn money.

Money has ruined so many series so far.

4. SeanM

SeanM Well-Known Member

Well given that there were 3 endings in the part 3, I liked the one where Sheperd actually survived after wiping out all the machines in the Galaxy

5. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I agree completely to be honest I was hoping for the ending to be maybe something like Max Payne 2 where their would be more than one possible ending when I 1st played the game for the 1st time that pissed me off because since the game is choice based their should at least 2 different endings or that is how I looked at it.

6. Chris_A

That`s very true, all the hype about save game importing, and how your choices will make each game unique, were for nothing, when each and every player had the exact 3 choices at the end.

7. Chris_A

Exactly, the worst mistake Bioware ever made was selling themselves to EA. It all went downhill after that, just look at Knights of the Old Republic, and its so called Free-To-Play model.

8. Chris_A

Personally, my favorite ending from the Extended Cut, was the Control option. Its the only one that made sense to me the way I played the game. Turning the whole galaxy into cyborgs I couldn`t go with, and I destroying the Reapers to be a waste, after their purpose was explained to me at the end. What ending did you like most, if any?

9. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

I have read so many player reviews where they said the game sucked because the ending sucked. That made me do this: o_O

A lot of game endings suck. I primarily played the game because of the game. The ending is a bonus.

Regardless, I had the Extended Version of the ending, which I chose Synthesis for everyone. I thought it was a neat ending.

10. Chris_A

I agree, the game series itself was flawless. But that was exactly the problem, people raising their expectations for the ending sky high, and then get delivered a simplistic choose-one-of-three finale.

tinybutnotfangless likes this.
  11. huckfinn

huckfinn Active Member

Yeah, despite the ending I thougth Mass Effect 3 was a fantastic game. I thought the start was a little underwhelming, mostly because I was expecting more from the first time seeing Earth in the series, but other than that I enjoyed it a lot. I just didn't think the ending did the game (or the series) justice, which is a shame.

12. Chris_A

What do you guys think? Maybe Mass Effect 4 will be better. They released zero info about the game, except a few screenshots. And they said it will be without Shepard.

13. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty safe to say no one liked the ending. Maybe don't hate it as much but definitely don't like it. What's there to like? The ending did nothing to justify the actions that we did throughout the entire trilogy. The presentation was lazy, quick, and offered no closure to the emotional investments we had toward the game. What's even worse was that illusion of choice the ending offered which in turn turned out to be nothing but different colors on same cutscenes.

14. Chris_A

There are some people who argued that Bioware could do whatever they wanted with the ending and the entire series, because it was their intellectual property. They even considered the Extended Cut wrong, because they created that only because of the controversy around the original ending and were basically forced to do it by the fans.

15. CeliVega

CeliVega Well-Known Member

I like the endings alright, but I just don't like how they are being represented. The least they could do is expand more on the characters and told us more about what happened to them instead of just using some still pictures with minor differences to end the whole game series.

16. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

I thought it was ok. Definitely not as good as I expected but still alright.
    The whole 3rd game was the thing that disappointed me... it just didn't feel the same as the first two.

17. Chris_A

Yeah, the third game felt more like Gears of War then Mass Effect. Although the story was pretty good, as you try to make that huge alliance of races work. But Mass Effect 3 is without doubt the most mainstream of the whole series.

18. KKrage

KKrage Well-Known Member

I've played Mass Effect 3. But I'm stuck on the ending, I always die when there's a hoard of monsters attacking me.
    I'm at the last mission at Earth (not sure if it actually is the last mission). But after reading this, I'm not sure if I'd even want to try to complete the story.
    I've heard many reports saying that it's bad, I have no clue.

19. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

It was alright I guess. I really would have liked my choices to have a bit more weight.. It was just.. disappointing..

20. queenbee

queenbee Well-Known Member

I actually didn't hate it at all; I liked it. I didn't love it, but it was exciting and climactic at the time. In retrospect, it doesn't make much sense to me (very random and nothing to do with the rest of the choices you've made up to this point?) and also quite ludicrous. I know Bioware has denied all of the conspiracy theories, but it's precisely because the ending was so unbelievable that you can believe such a wild alternate theory as indoctrination.