Quantcast

The Division: New York Collapse

Discussion in 'The Division' started by Cyborg Superman, Sep 18, 2015.

1. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

I think it's a combination of those two. Although, more likely it's a guide book masked as a novel. They say there are first hand encounters from early survivors and their hand written advice on survival. So while they'll give us history of the world, they'll also give us guidance, and I think that's cool.

2. Delirium

Delirium Well-Known Member Regular

Sounds very exciting! I think I'll be picking this up if I like the game enough. The content is obviously going to be uploaded to the internet right away, but I like having the physical copy, you know? I'm a collector.

3. JC_224

JC_224 Active Member Regular

It seems to be a combination of both unless I'm reading into this wrong. The website doesn't really clarify exactly what is offered other than there will be some form of stories from other 'survivors' and it includes survival tips to help keep you alive in a virus outbreak/scenario similar to The Divisions. There isn't much information that tells you whether there will be any actual gameplay tips inside the book.

4. d'arakh

Of course, I'm like that too. I like reading books, although I am not always able to read physical copies. Sometimes I even finish whole books on Kindle without actually holding the real book in my hands. I sorta hate that, but it's also useful. But, I almost always buy the book I'm reading on Kindle because I'm also a collector and I like having a sweet book collection. I also like having a game collection, as in physical copies of the game. I know digital downloads are all the rage these days, but I'm old school and like actually being able to hold stuff in my hands.

5. Delirium

That's funny because I'm quite the exact opposite! I can't finish any book on Kindle. They strain my eyes after a while and I always find it hard to focus on the worlds/letters for some reason so yeah. I prefer reading the physical version, but I guess that's just me since I happen to read a lot of books.

Same though! I love having physical copies of the game. I try to limit it to games that I really like though, because I move around a lot and last time I moved like 10-15 of my games got damaged. Not happy at all.

d'arakh likes this.
  6. d'arakh

Ouch, that sounds bad. Is there an option for game publishers to like give you digital download or something? Like you give the key and they allow you to download it or something? That would be really cool if they did, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

7. Delirium

I actually tried contacting some of them via e-mail (I forgot which ones, it was like 3-4 years ago), but they wouldn't give me a replacement. I even took a picture of the broken and scratched discs and they said like, "Okay, but we need a receipt" and I was just like, "I literally just moved from my hometown which is like 100 miles away, how the hell am I supposed to find a piece of paper inbetween the clunked mess that is my furnitures and clothes?" so they just refused my request.

Some of them asked for a warranty. Most of them were lost inbetween moving (I have no idea where they went, I kept them in a box with all my school supplies), I only found two and they were both invalid because they expired 3 months ago. And then some of them just blatantly ignored me.

So yeah, fun.

d'arakh likes this.
  8. Funky Fingers

Funky Fingers Active Member Regular

This is definitely a cool addition to the game and unless it somehow gets restricted, I will most likely try to get my hands on one. Thanks for letting me/us know about it!

9. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

What do you mean by restricted? Meaning it wouldn't be offered in your country/area? Or you mean that Ubisoft would restrict what type of content is included?

10. Maelalove

Maelalove Well-Known Member Regular

Personally, I don't like guidebooks like that. It makes the game less real for me. I'd actually much rather have the cutscenes, they're like watching a movie and being in that movie at the same time. But that's only my personal opinion on the subject.

11. Cyborg Superman

I can appreciate that. A lot of people love art books too and I usually glance at them and then put them in my bookshelf, never to be opened again... lol. To each their own, it's not like I don't want them to include it, but I guess I see your point is what I'm saying.

Maelalove likes this.
  12. Maelalove

Oh no I was just saying that because someone mentioned before it was good because "there wouldn't be 5 minute cutscenes, and I personally prefer them. But, all in all, I've never really liked guidebooks because to me they take away from the aspect of the game. But to each their own :]

13. Cyborg Superman

I'd definitely take cut-scenes over a guidebook or art book, that's for sure. It's not like I'm keeping it beside me when I play, and then glance at it when I need a story fix, hahaha.

Maelalove likes this.
  14. Maelalove

Good point, haha. Although I'm sure there are people that do actually do that. I know my brother actually used to do that, buy guides and then read the whole thing instead of trying the game first...

15. Cyborg Superman

The only time I would read guides and such instead of playing was if I had to go to school or something, lol. Ultimately my first choice is playing the actual game, although some stuff is interesting. They released some tie-in novels for Dragon Age: Origins that were actually really good and did a good job of tying into the game lore. If they do this with The Division, that could be interesting.

16. Maelalove

Well we were in school at the time, so maybe that's it but, back then all he did after school was play games so I'm not sure if that really fits.... And oh I hate those things. Not Dragon Age: Origins in general, but it reminds me of when my brother(man he did a lot of things) used to force me to read side stories of Star Wars when I was like 6.

It made me hate Star Wars.

17. Cyborg Superman

Nooooo how can you hate Star Wars, it's amazing.

It's definitely not for everyone. For example, DC is currently publishing a tie-in comic for Batman Arkham Knight and such, and it's actually quite good, but you can skip it entirely and still not be missing out. This way people can buy it and get more info only if they want, while someone who only plays the game still gets a complete experience.

18. Maelalove

That's a good point. I'll admit I hadn't exactly thought of it in that way.

And that's the result of what forcing a young girl who just wants to play with her barbies and read her Nancy Drew novels to read your sci-fi-she-doesn't-understand books for hours on end in random orders so she has no idea what she's reading and why until she hates it so much she can't bear to look at it. :p

Cyborg Superman likes this.