The $300,000 battle

Discussion in 'EVE Online' started by Jessi, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Jessi

Jessi Active Member

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/eve-online-epic-game-battle-ends-after-21-hours-300000/

And yes, this is "real money" value that was lost. The battle lasted 21 hours and was the largest amount lost/destroyed in the entire 10 year history of EVE Online. That's not to mention all the hours and hours of gameplay that goes into creating that type of value in the first place. For example, building a Titan alone takes a long time and there were multiples lost in this battle.

If you haven't seen any of the gameplay footage of it, I highly recommend looking it up on YouTube. There were so many people!!

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Holy crap I didn't know that happened I will be defiantly spending some time on YouTube to check out some videos on it.

3. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well it's not a surprise. I knew people who was a part of a multimillion dollar corporation inside EVE Online. In a single fleet battle, they lost enough real dollars to buy a third of a million (Cdn) dollar house.

The beauty of EVE Online is that it has a real economy. Unlike games like WoW, EVE's economy is extensive and relies heavily on multi-tiered availability spread over a vast network.

4. Jessi

Jessi Active Member

Here's a video for you to see of it:

There were nearly 8,000 players involved over the course of 21 hours, which is pretty impressive. It's rare to have a game that has a single battle that lasts for more than a few hours at this point. WoW used to have Alterac Valley battles that could technically last weeks, but that's totally different than an active, on-going battle that required forces to join together and keep pushing really hard the entire time.

5. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

Eve online really does have the biggest crowd of no lifer players, lol. That battle seemed to be pretty epic though.

6. Tersuss

Tersuss Well-Known Member

I watched that battle, it was intense, the funniest part was I think near the middle of the video a titan just dropped in on top of another guys ship effectively squishing it it was hilarious, I didn't know that, that was the total in damages though.

7. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Yes, I've heard about it. It's fascinating sometimes to know how some games have become so big. Just a game battle and it already cost $300,000. On the other hand, it does sound very epic when you think about it. I've seen the video, not what I had expected but it's amazing nonetheless.

8. Tersuss

Tersuss Well-Known Member

I know right, I find it amazing that a game had actually just managed to become so large, I mean I knew it was big but I had no idea it had become so immense.

9. SeanM

SeanM Well-Known Member

wow thats amazing...real money? I'd love to get my hands on that..

10. Nolan Watt

Nolan Watt Well-Known Member

Wasn't there one instance of someone infiltrating a rival faction and destroy it from within after a year of undercover?

11. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

That type of stuff happens frequently in EVE. There are spys everywhere within Corps.. and it really is one of the downfalls ( in my opinion) of the game. Because it is so easy to create alt accounts and spy, it means that most people within a corp are kept in the dark about what is going on. These type of huge battles are great, but you also have to realize that for the most part, only a couple dozen people are doing any type of strategy or know what is going on.. the vast majority of the people involved were just told where to go and what to do. In other words, most players are just clueless peons who only do what they are told for the safety of being in a corp..

12. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member
    Regular

This is actually what got me into Eve. I thought it was thc coolest concept. One of the better MMORPGs ive ever played.