Tera performs poorly when I try to play it.

Discussion in 'Tera' started by Totalarmordestine, May 13, 2015.

1. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Well-Known Member

I just bought a new laptop and I have been playing TERA just recently and I've been told that it's a good laptop so I assumed that TERA would be able to run pretty smoothly on relatively high/medium-high graphics.

Well when I'm in the game and it's on the "recommended" auto graphics settings which is everything high I get between 18-20 FPS? I tried playing around with the settings to get it as smooth as possible without ruining the graphics too much and no matter what I did I couldn't get 50-60 FPS? The only way I got 60+ FPS was by setting everything to the absolute minimum and even then it was only at 65.

Maybe it's my machine. My specs are:
    Intel i7-4700QM Quad 2.40ghz
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M
    8 gig RAM
    1TB HDD
    windows 8.1.

2. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Well-Known Member

Your processor is good, but your graphics card is weak. My advice is to look into getting a better graphics card. They're cheapest at Newegg.com

3. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Active Member

4. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

Yeah, that graphics card is weak sorry to say. That said, towns in general mess with framerates. Granted, I have everything on high/ultra, but I get pretty bad frame dips (18-20 range, like you) in hub cities, especially Velika. Also, when you said it capped at 65, I think Tera tries to limit the framerate to the refresh rate of your monitor. Even when I drop everything to low and I'm out in the field staring at a wall I only get around 65 FPS as well.

5. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member
    Regular

As others have said, your CPU is suitable but, the graphics card is too weak. Right now, your best bet is to upgrade your graphics card with a professional if possible, as upgrading modules in a laptop is considerably harder and more dangerous than a desktop computer. Otherwise, return the laptop (if possible sorry), and purchase one with a stronger GPU.

6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

Your first mistake was trying to play this on a laptop. I'm sorry but gaming laptops to me are a rip off. Most laptops don't even allow upgrading. So when you need a new graphic or sound card to play the "latest" whatever, a lot of the time you're stuck.

Things like this are why I always go with desktops.

7. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Well-Known Member

I haven't had a very good experience with the performance of Terra either. It seems glitchy on any system I try it on.

8. AmenoKaji

AmenoKaji Well-Known Member
    Regular

Without seeing your ingame settings its hard to say, what does it run like when you turn everything off and down to low?

9. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

I think that the video card isn't really good for running tera with high settings. The other components seem quite Ok but I'd do an upgrade if I were you.