Tank attack

Discussion in 'Pointless Fun' started by TotalAaron, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

#161 Darkbringer, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  2. Skaara Dreadlocks

Pretty cool, I like the use of the Battlefield music :D

Just to stirr up a large discussion, I would like to rant a little bit.
    I don't really see what's the big thing about the Military, especially the Scandinavian military. Of course, they tend to other countries. If I remember correctly, Norway was/is in Afghanistan or some country. But what are they doing for Norway? Not a thing except drawing funds away from the civilian police so that they can camp in the woods together, carry guns around and have an army ready to defend the country.

In Norway, we call the Military "Forsvaret", which means "The Defense". A high-ranking officer (or something like that) came to our school to hold a power-point presentation about the army. One thing I specifically remember him saying, was "A lot of people call it 'The Military', but we don't like calling it the military. Of course, it is a military army, but we're doing this in the name of Norway, to protect and defend the country, and that's why we like to call it 'The Defense', because calling it 'The Military' is actually wrong". Sure, that seems fair enough, but the uncertain way he said it made it all just sound so damn..... [Lack of words].

Sorry, I just think the military is a waste of time, considering what I know about it. I might be completely wrong, though, but so far nobody has told me that. :noidea:

Anyway, I liked the videos :)

3. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Ok here is why we are not wasting money:
    Employment, obviously. The military employs a lot of people that might be jobless without it.
    NATO. This is important. If a western nation does not have an adequate military, they can't be members of NATO, unless their name is Iceland. And if they are not members of NATO (or have a very large military like Sweden) they are vulnerable to attack. Look at Ukraine's immediate situation. Norway ain't safe either, and has been invaded and oppressed multiple times (sorry). It is to remain sovereign that you spend money on your military. To not be at the mercy of a conqueror.
    For a small country like Denmark, our military is hardly the mightiest around. However they are necessary for our NATO membership, and will act for Danish interests where diplomacy will fail. We recently helped rid the Syrians of chemical weapons, supported the Malian government against the insurgents, supported the Libyan uprising against their dictator and we are still active in Afghanistan for whatever reason. The point is that if your country can't go beyond soft power, it will remain at just that. Other nations will only take you seriously as long as it pays off for them.
    Why are Norwegian soldiers in Afghanistan? Because your democratically elected government wants them there. That is the main reason. The reason for the government wanting them in Afghanistan was initially to hunt Bin Laden, later on to rid the country of terrorists who pose a threat to the Western world and then educating the Afghans to take care of their own country so we don't have to remain there forever. I suppose you can say the war wasn't won, but partial objectives were reached.
    EDIT: Just realised I could probably go on and on about this, but that will wait until tomorrow :)

#163 Darkbringer, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  4. Skaara Dreadlocks

Ah, thanks for filling me in :)

5. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Also, for Denmark there is a whole new perspective: Greenland.
    China, Russia and Canada have all shown interest in Greenland, and if Denmark hadn't enforced sovereignty there with the Sirius Sled Patrol and military bases, another country could claim Greenland. But due to the enforcement of sovereignty, Greenland is part of the Danish Kingdom by international law.

6. Skaara Dreadlocks

I find it kind of ridiculous how every country has to have a defense force, otherwise they'd be invaded and claimed by some other country. Shows how greedy and selfish politics really is.

7. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Polish GROM - God's Gonna Cut You Down
    Just another video, although this is less of a tribute and more kind of a music video. I thought the song was a nice euphemism for special forces and made the video.

8. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

That was a cool video. The song, though, still reminds me of the commercials for Jeep.

9. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Welcome to the last 2000+ years of human history

10. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

Ok, so considering the tensions with NATO countries and North Korea, Iran, Russia etc. I made a little showcase of the NATO military power. The most impressive thing is in the numbers in the description, though.
    NATO MILITARY POWER 2014