Quantcast

Super Mario RPG - did you like it?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by fuumarumota, Jan 28, 2016.

1. fuumarumota

fuumarumota Well-Known Member Regular

I recently beat this game and I must say i wasn't impressed at all. I mean, it's great that there was an RPG with Mario characters and all, good puns, good music, but not what I am used to play from square or Nintendo. Also the game was way too easy.

What's your opinion on this game?

2. Ridge

Ridge Active Member Regular

I didn't give this game a chance until last year.

I found it very, very slow moving and simple. It was probably great at the time, but it doesn't really hold up.

3. fuumarumota

Totally agree, an average game in my opinion. I think the only innovation back the was the pre-rendered graphics that made it look 3D-ish.

4. Player7

Player7 Active Member Regular

Yes back at the time it was announced what really made it an appealing game was its graphics. Having a "3D" world was a big hit. Most of Square's fans back then bought the game and were impressed by the music and some of its funny scenes. If we compare it to games released later on it can be easily viewed as a subpar game although it used to be a huge success. Sometimes I like to think this game was some sort of inspiration for later Mario games that we really enjoyed playing because of their different playstyle like Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy.

5. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

I loved it when I first played it, but I agree, most of that love is probably borne of nostalgia than anything. The quasi-3D world can be rather annoying to navigate - I absolutely hated having to make precision jumps - and the combat was fairly simplistic. Suitable for a Mario-based role-playing game, but nothing amazing.

I think I like it mainly for the story. It fleshed out some of the characters more thoroughly. Particularly Bowser. He became a much more entertaining personality thanks to Mario RPG.

6. malavicious

malavicious Hero of Justice Regular

I couldn't get into the antique graphics, and I've never really been a fan of turn-based combat systems. A lot of the hype seems to be simply nostalgia as far as I can tell, though that's the case with most older "classic" video games. A lot of them end up just not standing the test of time.

7. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

Well, I might be alone here but I have to say that I absolutely loved this game! @fuumarumota since your Day of the Tentacle thread, I was going to jump in here and say "hey, another game we both enjoyed"... oops! Haha, it's okay, we can disagree on this one since we both enjoyed DOTT. :)

Back to Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars, I actually played it again recently and still really, really loved it. It was charming, the RPG elements were surprisingly well done and the game mechanics were unlike any other Mario game at the time. I'd love for Nintendo to do a sequel to this game. I think I might play this game again this weekend! :)

aquaticneko likes this.
  8. fuumarumota

@Cyborg Superman , haha. Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoyed Mario RPG, just think I've played much better ones (like DOTT XD ). This forum is getting pretty interesting , some of you are bringing some real good games into the topics. :)

9. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

I'd like to see a sequel to it, as well, if only because Square is more likely to do interesting things with Mario than Nintendo on their own. I do like the Nintendo-only RPGs that have come out since Super Mario RPG, but they're slowly creeping into the same, fairly unoriginal rut as all Mario games: Mario is good guy, Bowser is enemy, Princess is captive, let's all fight until we get the happily ever after. The Smithy Gang were genuinely cool enemies, and Smithy himself was, in his final form, surprisingly creepy for something out of a Mario game.

10. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member Regular

For me, it was a big disappointment. I have to agree that it was nostalgia that lured me into playing this game. But, the slowness of the game was really disappointing. I seriously love the original game and play it on emulator sometimes. But, this one was a complete and utter disappointment.

11. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

It's definitely an enjoyable RPG, the music is great, and it has quite few cool and unique concepts to the battle system, stuff like timed hits/blocks were super cool at the time, and still kind of are. That said, I agree with some of the previous posts, I don't think the game has aged super well.

12. djskyrim

djskyrim Well-Known Member Regular

Hmmm.... that's a unique point of view. Never thought about it in terms of music. Well music wise a lot of games do great. BTW, I remember Max payne's music, and of course, the skyrim theme keeps ringing in my head, so I get what you mean.

13. fuumarumota

Good points there, I completely forgot about timed hits and blocks. There were also a couple of hilarious cameos there. So all in all, it was a good game, but not a masterpiece.

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  14. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member Regular

I also loved this game. I would have preferred if some of the later mario games were like this to be honest. If wasn't perfect but I thoroughly enjoyed the change of pace from Super Mario 64.

15. fuumarumota

I liked the innovation with the pseudo-3d isometric world and the music was catchy. I just think It wasn't as epic as other RPG's IMO.

16. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

I loved the game! It was just an awesome clash between Final Fantasy and Mario Brothers. That really spiked my interest for the longest time and I was finally able to beat it a few months ago.

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I think it was a decent game that definitely had its similarities with the Mario we all know and love, but the game didn't impress me that much. Loved the soundtrack though!

18. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

I loved it at the time, but I prefer the Paper Mario games which are loosely similar. I wish Nintendo and Square made a game together again, though.

19. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

Super Mario RPG is considered one of the best RPG games on the SNES. I have not played it so far, but I will eventually get to playing it. People rank this game as high as Chrono Trigger, and that must be for a reason.

20. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

I tested it just because of this thread and because of the fact that I used to play Mario on my Nintendo a lot when I was a kid. However this RPG version didn't quite get me excited so maybe I am going to stick with the regular version.