Suggestion: fix bots spam

Discussion in 'MMORPG Forums - Troubleshooting and Site Feedback' started by grinder, Aug 20, 2015.

1. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Hi staff, just one advice: the bots spamming in categories is quite annoying so I would recommend to put a captcha at the registration page and delete the current bots signed up. Thanks for the attention.

Krisibelle likes this.
  2. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Well-Known Member
    Regular

Agreed. There are SO many spam threads, some of which are dated back towards the beginning of the month. It's hard to wade through them all to find the real discussion topics.

3. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, plus I'm getting tired of seeing threads advertising energy diet pills and what not. It reminds me of those annoying solicitors in my building that bother me about my light bill even though there's a no soliciting sign in the building lobby:mad:

4. jamesbonner

jamesbonner Active Member
    Regular

Well as a bot maker (I make bots for living lol) I think captcha isn't a good solution to stop spamming since they can use de-captcher services easily, the good solution is to put the replies of new users under hold till the admin see them and approve them

5. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

There does seem to be an inordinate amount of spam. I report the posts when I see them, but they seem to stay up and visible for several days after making a report.

6. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

So the spam is still an issue.

7. m0ldy

m0ldy Active Member
    Regular

I don't see any spam right now, but they do have captchas that can fool bots. The trick is to use custom captchas that you create a question and answer... bots wont understand this. Switch up the question every few months to make it harder. Some bots will wait for a human to manually do the captcha, then start spamming.. nothing you can do about these except ban the email they use to register and delete all the spam.