Quantcast

Stealth mechanics, what do you know ?

Discussion in 'The Division' started by Steve Dawson, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member Regular

I really don't see The Division as a stealth game. Aside from the initial contact with the enemy to wittle down enemy numbers I don't see stealth being a big part of the game.

2. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

It seems to be setting itself apart right now with the visuals (the rendering of NYC is amazing), the game play in terms of someone going Rogue and the Dark Zone. The cover system is reported to be like Gears of War, so it really seems to be setup for conflict to happen and not so much sneaking around.

3. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Yes I've seen that but I wonder how much variety there is in the PVP for example. I hope there are enough things you can play with so you can decide various tactics to engage during combat.

4. Celerian

Celerian Well-Known Member Regular

Wish they would show more haha

5. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Well-Known Member Regular

I think we can look forward to plenty of small innovative stuff thats new and original, but whether the developers willl have developed any really ground-breaking stuff is yet to be seen.

6. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member Regular

Stealth or direct combat, honestly I'm okay with whatever direction it takes. I prefer direct combat, but this isn't what will sell me on the game. I agree with a previous post that there needs to be some sort of variety.

7. guruproto

guruproto Active Member Regular

Sadly, I don't think stealth gameplay will be a priority for the Division. A group of PvP players could use a "stealthy" approach to set up an ambush or potentially avoid some rogue players, but I don't think any of the skills or talents in the game will support stealth. From what I seen, the AI doesn't seemed geared for it; as soon as you start firing, they face your position and fight back.

No real patrols or detection mechanics either (besides the basic "I don't see you yet" idle state). To be honest, the game can perform admirably without relying on stealth gameplay. Most of the fun comes from playing with friends and having a custom loadout of skills and talents (in my opinion at least). I would love to see some stealth gameplay in some of the upcoming trailers, but right now it seems like a dream.

8. Yosostupid

Yosostupid Well-Known Member Regular

I usually have a negative view on upcoming games as to prevent any false hopes or hype, just to get disappointed. So here's my negative view of the whole stealth part of the game. I think it'll just be a shadow of what stealth could be, and it would always be much better to run out and kill them with your preorder bonus special weapon. If anyone tries to sneak, it would be incredibly inefficient.

9. Cyborg Superman

I'm all about curbing your enthusiasm but being negative just for the sake of negative seems like a bummer. If it works for you, that's fine, but I find that reserving judgement until I actually play the game or see it in action works for me. Hey, to each their own. Games will come and go, some will impress me, some will leave me ambivalent and some will surprise me... That's just entertainment life.

In the game's defence, they never really claimed there would be a big stealth component to the game, so we can't fault them if the game ends up being light on the sneaking around. I mean, I don't think anyone is upset that you can't sneak in COD.

10. Player7

Player7 Active Member Regular

I think you are right Cyborg, we shouldn't judge the game 'till it comes. However from the trailers I've seen, I think the game has just enough stealth options when walking throughout the destroyed NY. You can either hide behind crashed trucks or police cars. Maybe fans from other Tom Clancy games, like Ghost Recon, will miss the obvious almost permanent in game stealth options. Although the game promises to have better multiplayer mechanics and maybe that's what we should focus on.

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  11. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

I think it's still way to early to discuss the stealth honestly and honestly, I don't care if the stealth mechanics aren't the core of the game. From what I saw there are numerous ways to play this game and if stealth's one of them, then more power to it. If it's not, who cares? Game still has potential.

12. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member Regular

There will be at least some stealth mechanics. That probably won't be the focus, but I think it's pretty important with this type of game.

13. Cyborg Superman

Yup, it'll be like Gears of War's cover system, which isn't bad at all. It's just not shaping up to be the kind of stealth you'd get in a Splinter Cell game. Stealth doesn't always work with every game, so I guess we'll see how it is and if it would really fit if it was absent.

: stealth