State of Guild Wars 2?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by Setari, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Setari

Setari Member

So I get email updates from ArenaNet and hop on Guild Wars 2 from time to time, but lately it seems like the game is getting kind of gimmicky. Like the holiday events, and the living story. It just seems oh so repetitive. However, I haven't really been following the living story, I mostly check the auction house, so it's just boring for me. The lack of cool gear for Rangers is also really holding me back from progressing on anything unfortunately.

How does everyone else think the game is progressing? Anyone can comment but obviously if you're more active in the game you'll have a better idea of what's going on, and a viewpoint to give.

2. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

Guild Wars has had holiday events from the very beginning. I also have to disagree about the Rangers lacking cool gear.

I personally don't like how the game is progressing. Its been almost 2 and a half years since the games release and I feel like the original guild wars had progressed far more than what GW2 has. Its kind of put me off the game considering.

3. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

There's some nice looking medium gear but compared to light/heavy it's a little short. There's tons of cool bow skins though.

I agree that I'm not keen on how things are progressing with the game as well. The living story just seems too much of a one off kind of deal which screws over new players or those who missed it. I mean I've gone back to WoW because it feeds my PvE needs. I still PvP on GW2 but it's kind of hard to keep interest in the PvE side up.

There's rumors of an expansion with Sylvari potentially being enemy players, but I'm not completely sure on that.

4. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I think it's good in terms of PVE and PVP, World vs World is also very fun.

5. Zarentu

Zarentu Active Member

I too jumped on it the other day. I generally just use this game for RP now because the combat for whatever reason makes me fall asleep. Plus I don't like the whole "Every role can do everything" it was a cool idea at first, but then I started doing dungeons and it was like a leeroy jenkins charge at mobs trying to stay alive with the weak healing abilities that you do have.

6. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

You're right.

7. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

I had issues at first with the combat system...it's one of those things that grows on you the more you mess with it kind of thing. Technically yeah anyone can tank, dps or heal but some classes are still a little biased more towards a specific role. Elementalists are still good dps if you know how to utilize them and Guardians are more healing specific. A ton of it lies in how you put your points into the trees and what weapons you utilize and how that flows with the overall play style of said class.

There's also more team orientated strategy with the dungeons than WoW and the more runs you do in them the better you get. It's all about finding a good strategy with your group comp. My first run through Arah was a 6 hour pain with a few guild mates who weren't what you'd call raid experienced players. After constant runs and whatnot I got them to finish the dungeons in about 1.5 hours. WoW on the other hand is pretty streamlined and fairly easy to do the mechanics as a regular player.

I say give it a chance and try other classes out to find a happy medium. I have level 80 of every class but I admit that I had the best experience with Guardian and Mesmer.

8. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

what about ranger though?

9. MrHurricane89

MrHurricane89 Well-Known Member

I think Arenanet really fails with this hyping of the expansion, without any release date. I came back for a litle bit in January, but stopped playing quickly, as these small drips of information are really being tiresome, especially without a release date.

10. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I see. How is this related to the state of Guild Wars 2 though?

11. MrHurricane89

It directly relates to it, as players getting bored of no proper announcements are often more likely to stop playing gw2 without any new content, and many of those are unlikely to return when expansion hits, as they had lost all interest by that time.

12. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's not like anything you've said in this thread talks about the state of Guild Wars 2, so, you know, there's that. Guild Wars 2 is very much a game that people either love or hate, and part of that lies on the shoulders of the developers that have made some missteps here and there in the post-release development of the game.

13. MrHurricane89

Yeah, they really botched with their marketing in my opinion. Right now I couldn't care less about the dev team hyping these small drips of content they called "living story", and the similar bite-sized info about Heart of Thorns' content. The only thing I am interested in is a release date, and I want to see the rest for myself, without the expectations created by the developers overhyping their own content.

14. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

No need to get angry, I asked a question, I didn't claim I had something to say about its state, I think its state is good. Just because I've asked a question doesn't mean I'm indicating that I am better. Your statement is like, someone asked you hows the state of your car, you say you love it and then some other friend goes on talking about something that's not related to your car's state, and then you'd be like, what's that related to the state of my car though? and then I go on and tell you, it's not like you've said anything about the state of your car, duh...

15. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member
    Regular

The state of the game isn't super bad. There's a new expansion around the corner and I actually think that Guild Wars 2 is growing now. I suppose the idea of Guild Wars 2 being a pay-to-play rather than a subscription based game helps keep the population to a decent extent. Hopefully the new expansion will attract a PvE audience.

16. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Could you tell me what the new expansion is about?

17. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

With the new expansion pack incoming, I think the state of GW 2 is pretty solid. We will get to battle a new dragon end-boss and I am also very curious about the new Jungle setting and the cool quests that we will get. All in all GW2 is doing much better then WoW imho.

18. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Ranger's fun but greatsword isn't a very viable option for them last I recall. I mean it's doable but not optimal. It'd be like equipping a WoW mage with a staff versus MH/OH that offer an additional enchant. The typical bows are very popular builds and axe/axe, axe/torch, axe/warhorn are also fairly viable. Pets are okay but they're a little too good at drawing aggro at times haha. Constant revives. :|

It explores the mystery of the Sylvari's existence in Tyria. It's implied that they're potential servants of Mordremoth when it was previously believed that they were the only race immune to the Elder Dragons.