Solo or Guild running?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by Aymie, May 7, 2014.

?

How do you game?

1. Only with guildies

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Only solo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mix of both more guild than solo

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Mix of both more solo than guild

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Aymie

Aymie Active Member

Just to get an idea here I was curious how many people run majority of their games with a guild compared to those who only run solo? I belong to a guild, in fact I am one of the founders but over the years some have stayed and some have gone (others taking breaks), so while I still run with some guildies I also run a good bit solo (in WOW, randoms that is).

2. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

I prefer solo, because I like to be self reliant. I would learn the ropes, get acquainted with my class and abilities, get a feel for my style and then roll with it. When the time comes for guild mates who want some help or want to run stuff, I would be glad to join. Basically, it goes like this: solo > guild dungeon runs > LFG with strangers. When it comes down to healing, I am mainly exclusive to guild healing and LFG DPS. I don't like to heal for strangers due to a combination of confidence and effort.

3. thejamal

thejamal Well-Known Member

I prefer running with guilds and RL friends whenever possible for both PVP and PVE. For starters, it's just a lot more fun playing with people you actually know. Also, you know their playstyles and can perform a lot better in both PVP and PVE situations.

Especially in games like WoW, where there's not a lot to do anymore, playing with friends is one of the reasons I'm stilled subbed.

4. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member
    Regular

I run solo pretty much all the time in most MMOs... at least until the game throws so much crap at me that it's impossible to continue solo, that is!

5. Lucky120

Lucky120 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I am a mixture, but I do more solo than guild running. I like to play alone for awhile and then I play with others. I like the fact that I can run through a few things solo unless I really need some help. Playing with others is fun too, so I make sure to play with a guild or two.

6. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

It really depends on the individual game.
    Some games require to solo to level fast. Some games require to be in a guild to be able to participate in the better part of the game.

For example, Lineage 2 was an open pvp game. All the players formed clans to fight each other on large scales. The best part of Lineage 2 was castle siege... where hundreds players were fighting on each side in well organized manner in order to seize castles. What can you do if you solo in this game? Nothing much besides grind yourself up and pretty yourself up with new gears.

Generally speaking, it is always a good idea to be in a group when PvP is one of the main focus of the game.
    As for PvE, it depends on the system. Some games require continuous buff from certain classes in order to level fast. Some games even give extra XP bonus for leveling in a group. These games are better to be in a guild where you have better chance to get good match of different classes for leveling up.
    There are other games where solo is the fastest way to level up.

So it really depends on individual game.

7. CeliVega

CeliVega Well-Known Member

I prefer playing solo most of the time. But there's some instance or bosses where it is just impossible to beat alone. Also, part of the fun with mmorpg is the trash-talk with the other members :p
    The fun factor is multiplied if you got a guild or friends that do mission with you, but playing solo is great as well. It depends on your play style I guess.

8. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I prefer mostly running with a guild unless it's a game like "CABAL" then I just solo, but I find it more fun playing with people you know in real life it makes it more fun also I find that soloing gets boring fast unless your grinding for money.

9. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

I know there isn't a lack of loners in MMORPGs. but the whole idea of MMO is to have Massive amount of people playing together. Otherwise, you can just enjoy yourself with a singleplay RPG game. :)

Some of the RPG games I have played totally encouraged teamplay. For example, on the Neverwinter Nights (1) server I used to play on over a decade ago, they have a XP system that would allow much faster leveling in a team. It worked like that, for example: If you solo, you get 54xp per kill; but if you are in a team of two, for each kill you get 70xp (for each person); If you are in a team of 3, for each kill you get 84xp (per person); if you are in a team of 4 to 6, you get 100xp per kill for each person;
    So not only everyone gets more xp per kill, you also kill a lot of faster in a team. That would multiple the leveling speed by a ton. The server was also populated by really hard areas meant for a team of maxed level players to fight against. Under such system, only fools would enjoy solo...since everyone wanted to level as quick as they can to the max level, so they can enjoy the max level areas.

10. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member
    Regular

I tend to play games strictly solo. I have tried running with guilds, but it never works out for me. I end up not logging on when they want me on, forgetting about the game for a week, etc. I am too independent in a game for most guild's tastes which is fine with me, since I'd rather me alone. :)

11. Rubymusic1

Rubymusic1 Active Member

I only do guildies if I trust the people i would be running with, otherwise i'm actually afraid they'd turn against me! I know that's not the point, but still...

At least when running solo, you wouldn't have to share anything with others... But then there's more of a risk of being killed.

12. mauricioq

mauricioq Well-Known Member
    Regular

I can't play games alone, it gets boring after a while. So yes, I only play with friends (guild), otherwise I wouldn't be playing anything. haha

13. Monet

Monet Active Member

Playing alone can be good sometimes. Coordinating with people can be tough, especially if you've all got different things going on. Sometimes I just don't feel like waiting on a raid. In general, I prefer playing with a group, but it's not always possible. I'm flexible.