Snow!

Discussion in 'Pointless Fun' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

School's never been cancelled here either. Once there were only four students in school (excluding myself :p), but it wasn't closed.
    It's not like no school in the whole history of Denmark has ever been closed due to snow, but mine never has.

#61 Darkbringer, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
  2. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Then English schools have more in common with American schools than they want to believe. :lol: I can relate though, since most Polish schools stayed open regardless of snow. But yeah, most schools in England are the opposite, but it also depends on the school itself. My school is known to be chujowa. If schools were like countries, then mine would be Nazi Germany. Being open pretty much no matter what is one of their least crappy aspects (not to mention the authoritarian methods of teaching, ridiculous rules & regulations, inequality and other garbage).

Btw, it's usually not a school's fault that it has to be closed when there's a lot of snow (well, a lot for the territory) but almost everyone's - in a way. People in countries like the UK and the warmer parts of the US are generally not used to larger amounts of snow due to the usual climate of the area, so they are also unprepared. This means that people don't get winter tires, salt is spread on the streets later than should be, etc. Which means that teachers and students who live further away simply can't get there on time (or at all), so the school gets closed because it can't function properly.

Still, like I said - it depends on the school itself as well. My school is crap, so who knows what will happen. Besides, the ice could melt in the morning if the temperature rises. :(

3. leddoesit

leddoesit Guest

i like snow 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Jet Odessa

Jet Odessa Mutant Hunter Extraordinaire

well, typical of england, a light dusting of snow and the country is paralized, again. geez! airports closed, trains not running, schools closed, and the list goes on.... pathetic really. every year the same story, like they didn't know.

5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Indeed, but it wasn't that bad this time where I live. The school wasn't closed today (and neither where most others). Sadly, the snow is almost all gone now as most of it has melted during the day. :(

6. Wolve_NZ

Wolve_NZ Well-Known Member

In Auckland Our schools are always closed because of school... xD Haha!

It 'Snowed' once, was National News!

Wasnt really snow though, just like Failed hail...

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

Well, Saturday was an important day for me to reach my train, and I had been waiting for the real snow to arrive for many weeks, but I never asked for it to come on the exact day that I was leaving in the morning to reach the train. A motherload of snow was present that morning, and I barely managed to catch my train as we had to dig out the car :p

Then of course, the temperature drasticly rised to just above 0, so it began raining, and now we're left with 10 to 20 centimeters of slush everywhere. Horrible, just horrible.

8. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

About three days ago some snow has fallen in the area whee I live again, but much more this time. The temperatures are finally low enough for the snow to not melt during the day, so now the area looks much better (snow does wonders to cover up ugly buildings and poor neighbourhoods).

Unfortunately, this also means that our house is much less habitable now due to the shitty heating and there is a chance that the pipes will freeze, which can potentially cause a flood. Because of this looming fact, we have to waste money on more heating as it has to be turned up more often now to prevent the pipes from freezing. Oh joy.

Well, at least more snow fell today - however they're doing a really good job with dispensing the salt on local roads this time. In 6 years, I have never seen English roads being tended to as well as they are this winter.

I remember I wanted it to snow so badly this winter, but I'm really not that bothered about it now. I feel ashamed. I should be over the moon, now that there is snow. Obviously, it's still not as much as what I hear is going on back home and I bet it's not even close to comparable with what you folks in Scandinavia get, but it's still something I guess.

Since it's finally the weekend tomorrow, I might be going out with friends to the park and enjoying this weather while it lasts.

9. VanillaToshi

VanillaToshi Well-Known Member

It's a bit childish but I just went snowboarding and sledging :D The snow isn't very deep, about the length of a finger but it's compressed the snow that was already there so it's definitely rideable.

10. I Hate Lurkers

I Hate Lurkers Well-Known Member

It snowed last night and they canceled school today. I'm pissed. I turned my school laptop into the help desk yesterday because it crashed. Now I won't get it back until Tuesday, which is when my exams start. All of my notes were on that computer. Now I have no way to study. FML.

11. Wolve_NZ

Wolve_NZ Well-Known Member

Study, who needs study! xD

12. VanillaToshi

Well, I hope you don't do as bad as I did in school.
    I spent most of my time high and just generally messed around too much.

I didn't do that bad in my exams considering I never revised for anything.
    Got C's and above in everything that was important to me with my lowest grades being E's.

13. I Hate Lurkers

An E? What the hell is an E?

14. VanillaToshi

Either you're taking the piss or you don't know how we're graded in the UK.
    Grades from best to worst:
    A*
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    U - ungraded (not achieving the minimum marks for a pass

You can also do BTEC courses

G is classed as a pass (but terribly), D is OK and C's and above are what you're really aiming for.

15. I Hate Lurkers

Oh well we don't even have E. In the United States, at least in Virginia, it goes like this.

A - 93 through 100 (great)
    B - 85 through 92 (good)
    C - 77 through 84 (average)
    D - 70 through 76 (bad but still passing)
    F - 69 or below (failing)

16. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

In Canada we just get our percentages

ex: Pre-calculus (86%)

17. VanillaToshi

I dunno how it goes in England percentage wise but i'll write them out how people view them over here

A* - The skills that pay the bills.
    A- Very good
    B- pretty Good
    C-Quite good/average
    D - Average
    E - OK Pass
    F - Bad Pass
    G - terrible Pass
    U - You made it to the egg first?

Fs and Gs are just absolutely terrible and E's aren't exactly desirable.

18. GoodLordApollo

GoodLordApollo The Courier

It never snows here in Perth, the coldest it gets in Winter is about 18-20

19. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

Lucky!, I just had to shovel through snow knee deep to get to my back door in -26 (without windchill)

Perth sounds pretty good right about now...

20. GoodLordApollo

GoodLordApollo The Courier

Wait till you see how hot it is during Summer. 40 degrees Celsius and recently it has been really humid.